69 Cutlass heater control issue

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2019 | 12:06 PM

69 Cutlass heater control issue

Heater/AC Controls
I suspect I have a bad contact within the control. There are 2 contacts.I have power to the brown wires. When I move the switch to heat or recirc power goes from the brown to the green. That seems correct to me. The other pair of brown wires have power to one of them and no matter what position the controls are in no power goes to the other brown wire. If I cross those wires the fan goes on and the speeds work. I'm thinking that the contact there is bad or at least needs some attention. Before I pull this apart I figured I'd ask to see if I am missing something.
thanks,
Steve
Old October 22nd, 2019 | 05:41 PM
Old(s) Fart

The device with the two brown wires is the master switch that powers the blower motor. The device with the brown and green wires is the compressor clutch switch. The master switch should close with the selector lever in any position other than OFF. If not, then either there is an adjustment issue or the switch contacts are bad as you surmise.
Old October 22nd, 2019 | 06:11 PM

Thank you Joe, I was hoping you would answer. I'll take it out and clean it up, see if I can adjust it.

Steve
Old October 24th, 2019 | 08:14 AM

Well, i took it apart and cleaned it up and it still didn't work. I went on ebay to look for another controller and saw the switch for sale. When I took a close look at it and mine I realized someone had played with mine and put the little semi-circular piece in backwards. It now works as you said it should. Now my issue is no high speed, just the lower 3 speeds. I recall seeing the problem posted so I'll check. But, if you want to respond that may be quicker. I will say it everytime, thank you Joe, you have been tremendously helpful.

Steve
Old October 24th, 2019 | 08:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Phoenix8990
Well, i took it apart and cleaned it up and it still didn't work. I went on ebay to look for another controller and saw the switch for sale. When I took a close look at it and mine I realized someone had played with mine and put the little semi-circular piece in backwards. It now works as you said it should. Now my issue is no high speed, just the lower 3 speeds. I recall seeing the problem posted so I'll check. But, if you want to respond that may be quicker. I will say it everytime, thank you Joe, you have been tremendously helpful.

Steve
As you probably know, high speed is fed from a different power source than the low speeds. Start by checking for power at the black/orange wire where it goes into the high speed relay on the firewall. If there is no power, check the 30A fuse in line in this wire. If there is power, pull off the connector from the relay and jumper from this wire to the purple wire. The blower motor should run. If it does, the relay is bad.
Old October 24th, 2019 | 12:36 PM

OK, got it resolved. connections on the relay were swapped. All is well, I can't believe I have heat! I am concerned about if I am getting enough air to the defrost. Is there any way to confirm the damper action other than feeling air, any place visul?
thanks,
Steve