62 Starfire Convertible top

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2011 | 11:57 AM

62 Starfire Convertible top

Inspecting the car before a purchase but the top is non operable in the open position. Will first check the electronics and if possible directly jump the red feed wire to the motor bypassing for the time being the true electrical cause.
If that fails the manual states for manual raise to " disconnect the top lift cylinder piston rods from the top linkage." Never owning a convertible I need more specifics on where the rods are located and can I get to them with the top full in the down position. Help please, time is running out and it's too cold to drive it home with the top down. Thanks 70 ctls
Old February 10th, 2011 | 09:44 PM

cylinder piston rods

Hope you made it home . The top cylinder rods are the two hydraulic pistons located at the back left and right side of the passenger seat, they push the top up and down. They are attached by a 9/16 bolt and nut and when unbolted allow the top to be manually raised and lowered. Tough job by yourself but it can be done. Some tops are a bitch to raise in cold weather, vinyl shrinks and you can't get that last inch. Make sure the fluid level is topped off because at full extension you may have used up all the fluid in the reservoir. If you don't hear any pump whining sound I would start looking for electrical problems.Check if your getting juice at the pump motor when switch is pushed to up or down. If no juice bad switch, got juice, bad pump motor. Could be lots of other things but that should get you started....Tedd
Old February 11th, 2011 | 03:56 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm going to raise the roof today for inspection. Oldsmobiles Forever !
70 ctls
Old February 11th, 2011 | 01:21 PM

So I ran juice directly from the battery to the up wire ( Red ) at the wire harness in the trunk. It apppears to me that the juice first goes into a Relay Box ? and than to the top motor. When I suppplied juice to the box I got a clicking sound.. When I bypassed the box and went directly to the mootor I got nothing. I then located the bolts that fasten the piston rod to the top frrame but for the life of me cannot get the nut off nor can I figure how the bolt will come out to allow the piston rod to slide out of the frame. Will try again tomorrow when I have more time and it is supposed to be a bit warmer hear in the northeast. Any first hand experience would be deeply apprecciated.. 70 ctls
Old February 11th, 2011 | 03:38 PM

All my convertible stuff is older than your car so there may be differences, but the bolts on my car takes a 9/16 socket. You will need to back that up with a wrench or another ratchet. Sometimes the first time off is tough,if you have to use a breaker bar. This bolt should go through a nylon sleeve witch allows the rod to pivot as the rod lifts the top,watch out it doesn't get lost when you extract the through bolt. I think you just need a little more ump th to get it started Let us know how it goes,and remember lefty loosey, righty tighty...Tedd