1970 Front Marker Light Wiring

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2018, 11:23 AM

1970 Front Marker Light Wiring

Does anyone have the wiring diagrams, or know where I could find them for the front marker lights? I recently took my 1970 out of storage and the front two markers (located in the bumper) seem to be acting up. In the marker light position, the front side markers light up, but the fronts do not. However when I turn the blinkers or four ways on, they blink.
Old November 7th, 2018, 11:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by TheBigBlueBoat
Does anyone have the wiring diagrams, or know where I could find them for the front marker lights?
Page 12-2 in the 1970 Chassis Service Manual. The front side marker lights are wired directly to the same brown wire that feeds the running light filament in the front 1157 bulbs. The side markers should not blink at all in 1970 (yes, the DO blink in later years, but NOT in 1970). A bad ground in one of the front parking light sockets can cause a problem like this.
Old November 7th, 2018, 11:46 AM

Does anyone have the wiring diagrams, or know where I could find them for the front marker lights? I recently took my 1970 out of storage and the front two markers (located in the bumper) seem to be acting up. In the marker light position, the front side markers light up, but the fronts do not. However when I turn the blinkers or four ways on, they blink.
You may have burned out bulbs. The bumper mounted lights have a two element bulb (1157A). I'm fairly sure one element if for parking lights and the other is for turn signal lights.

Old November 7th, 2018, 11:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Fun71
I'm fairly sure one element if for parking lights and the other is for turn signal lights.
There's no "fairly" about it. This is EXACTLY why the 1157 has two filaments.
Old November 7th, 2018, 12:41 PM

I will have to get one of those manuals.

To clarify, in the turn signal or 4 way position, the front markers blink, the side ones do not.

My first thought was that they were dual element bulbs, but when I looked at the pigtail they were two wire. I assumed that meant they were single element, but now thinking about it do they just ground to the housing and have a wire for each element?
Old November 7th, 2018, 12:44 PM
Old(s) Fart

I will have to get one of those manuals.

To clarify, in the turn signal or 4 way position, the front markers blink, the side ones do not.

My first thought was that they were dual element bulbs, but when I looked at the pigtail they were two wire. I assumed that meant they were single element, but now thinking about it do they just ground to the housing and have a wire for each element?
Go pull one of those 194 bulbs out of the side marker socket and look at it. There is only one filament. The housing is plastic, so the second wire is a ground wire. There is no connection between the side marker lights and the turn signal or four way flashers on a 1970. Is it possible that your car has a 1971-72 forward lamp harness? The later cars DID flash the side marker lights.