1969 Cutlass Convertible Top Problem

Search this Thread

Old July 19th, 2011, 08:30 AM

1969 Cutlass Convertible Top Problem

I read some posts/threads about issues with convertible tops but haven't really found any that speak about the issue I'm having, so I thought I'd try a post.

With my '69 Cutlass S, the top goes down no problem - no real hesitation or stopping. But when I try to put it back up, it starts out fine for about three seconds and then it just doesn't seem to catch. The motor keeps chugging along (at least that's what it sounds like to me), but the top just freezes. It only goes back up about four inches from the down position before it stalls.

Anyone know what I should check first? Relay? Hoses? Hydraulic fluid?

Thanks!
Ken
Old July 19th, 2011, 08:34 AM

most likely low fluid, it is easier for the top to go down than to get pushed up. I saw that with mine. its a messy thing to fill the fluid back up but can be done. Check the hoses to see if there are any air bubbles in them if so it can be a fluid level issue. I'm sure others will chime in but as mentioned thats what happened with mine, it went down easily but couldn't get up - my convertible top that is
Old July 19th, 2011, 08:49 AM

Most likely low fluid as mentioned. And if it is low, where did the fluid go? You may want to check the cylinders, pump and hoses to make sure you don't have a leak. When you remove the rubber plug in the pump to add fluid, make sure the top is down. You'll also need to determine what fluid you have as there could be brake fluid or auto trans fluid in it. And the two are not compatible so make sure you know. If you can see your plastic lines and you see red fluid, then it's trans fluid. If it's original fluid, it's likely brake fluid but be certain you know what is there. Give thought to some type of syringe or turkey baster to put fluid in it. If you use the turkey baster, make sure you don't put it back in the kitchen.
Old July 19th, 2011, 09:22 AM

If not the fluid level or excess air in the lines, the pump could be heading south...
Electricals sound normal from what you describe.