1966 AM/FM Wonderbar radio upgrade

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2022, 04:28 AM

1966 AM/FM Wonderbar radio upgrade

Good day all,

I have a 66' Toronado that came with an AM radio from the factory. I have an AM/FM wonderbar radio that I would like to install but it's a little different from the AM one I removed. Was wondering if anyone had any information about these radios?

Everything looks like it should connect just fine but the AM radio had a light bulb hole in the top of it (see my pics). The car's harness has a wire that connects to the AM radio's light bulb. The AM/FM radio, however, has no such hole....just a weird slot in the top and the original AM bulb socket doesn't fit into it. I don't see anywhere to install an integral light to the FM radio.

I'm assuming that the AM/FM radio has a different set up for the internal lighting but I do not see anywhere for a lightbulb to fit in so I was looking for some info on this if anyone knows about these radios. In my pics below, the AM is on the right, FM on the left (larger unit).

Thanks!

Original AM bulb harness visible (green wire)

AM radio on the right (smaller one). Has the hole in the top for the lighting. FM on the left (note the strange slot in the top).
Old August 22nd, 2022, 05:48 AM

Looks like you'll have to change the bulb housing. If you follow the wire off of the bulb housing, it comes to a connector. You'll have to unplug your existing wire there and then look for one with the housing style that slides down on that tab. Then tape over the hole to keep the light inside the radio. I've seen other radios with that slide-on tab, but can't remember what they were out of.
Old August 22nd, 2022, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsfan
Looks like you'll have to change the bulb housing. If you follow the wire off of the bulb housing, it comes to a connector. You'll have to unplug your existing wire there and then look for one with the housing style that slides down on that tab. Then tape over the hole to keep the light inside the radio. I've seen other radios with that slide-on tab, but can't remember what they were out of.
Ok, I guess that makes sense. Any ideas on where I can get that replacement housing? Is it somewhat generic?