1963 Olds ninety-eight Dash Lights

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2010, 09:45 AM

1963 Olds ninety-eight Dash Lights

Hello All,

I'm working on a 1963 Olds ninety-eight and the dash lights wont work.

The fuse block has power, as well as some the the wires on the pin connector that is pushed into the back of the dash.

Still no luck, if its the switch.. anywhere I can buy one? also anything I should replace too being in to this project.

Thanks,

Sean
Old February 2nd, 2010, 03:01 AM

My '57 didn't have any dash lights and it was a rivet in the junction inside the headlight switch...so I changed it and guess what
Old February 2nd, 2010, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
My '57 didn't have any dash lights and it was a rivet in the junction inside the headlight switch...so I changed it and guess what

Thank you sir, were can I buy a new headlight switch from?
Old February 2nd, 2010, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by oldsmakovr
Thank you sir, were can I buy a new headlight switch from?
Fusick's full-size car catalog shows headlight switches for all 1963 Oldsmobiles (without Guidematic). They're a wallet-pinching $59.50, but if you need one, you need one. On the top of page 19. You can see their catalogs at their website (www.fusick.com).
Old February 2nd, 2010, 04:09 PM

I cant find this damn switch anywhere... what am I doing wrong here??
Old February 2nd, 2010, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmakovr
I cant find this damn switch anywhere... what am I doing wrong here??
If you were looking at the Fusick site, then I need to apologize. When I said above that their catalog had them, I was looking at catalog 19BC, which was issued March 1, 2008, and which DID list a headlight switch for '63 Oldsmobiles. But just yesterday, Fusick issued an update to this catalog, 20BC (which is what you now get if you click on the link at their site and download it), and this one does NOT show the '63 headlight switch. They apparently no longer have them, but you might call, anyway, because they might have just one or two left and didn't think it was worth putting them in a catalog that won't be revised again for another couple of years. It can't hurt, and if they don't have it, they might know who would.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:26 PM
Oldsdruid

Let's assume you HAVE checked the bulbs themselves and they're good, and the 4 amp PANEL LTS fuse and it's good, and that you have the rheostat turned full bright (all the way left). I don't suspect the printed circuit as those years used a stiff backing board instead of later Mylar which did tend to break the circuit bars. Do the other lamps (head, park and tail) work from the headlight switch?

Remove the headlight switch and check the rheostat coil for grunge and corrosion. Some contact cleaner will work magic here. Won't hurt to spray a little into the switch itself for that matter.

If all that checks out and you have to replace the switch, it is 1963 only. GM p/n is Grp 2.485, p/n 1995125 1963 except F85 or Guidematic, p/n 1995124 Guidematic except F85.

A comparable Buick or Cadillac may use this same switch.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Let's assume you HAVE checked the bulbs themselves and they're good, and the 4 amp PANEL LTS fuse and it's good, and that you have the rheostat turned full bright (all the way left). I don't suspect the printed circuit as those years used a stiff backing board instead of later Mylar which did tend to break the circuit bars. Do the other lamps (head, park and tail) work from the headlight switch?

Remove the headlight switch and check the rheostat coil for grunge and corrosion. Some contact cleaner will work magic here. Won't hurt to spray a little into the switch itself for that matter.

If all that checks out and you have to replace the switch, it is 1963 only. GM p/n is Grp 2.485, p/n 1995125 1963 except F85 or Guidematic, p/n 1995124 Guidematic except F85.

A comparable Buick or Cadillac may use this same switch.
Head, Park and tails work.. on dash lights... got new bulbs in... is this a series or parallel system for the dash bulbs?

Also.. how the heck do I get that switch out??? I looked at it for an HR.. looks like a PITA....
Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:26 PM

To remove the switch, disconnect the battery, feel for the spring-loaded "push-button" on the side of the switch, pull out the **** like turning on the lights, push the button and pull the ****/shaft the rest of the way out. Now the escutcheon (sp?) nut will come off, freeing the switch from the dash panel. You should then be able to disconnect the wiring plug from the switch. Good luck.
DW
Old February 3rd, 2010, 07:52 AM
Oldsdruid

Dash lights feed from the main headlight switch thru the 4 amp PANEL LTS fuse. Look for a gray wire coming off the H/L switch and check the dimmer rheostat.

You might have to finagle behind the dash to find the release **** Danny's talking about. Sometimes it's tricky to get it to release the **** and its shaft. You'll need a ferrule removal tool to loosen the escutcheon, or you can use needle nose pliers. Just be careful they don't slip out of the slots and scratch the dash.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 08:03 AM

there is one on ebay right now http://cgi.ebay.ca/HEADLIGHT-SWITCH-...:B:SILF:CA:102

found another way cheaper http://cgi.ebay.ca/1963-OLDSMOBILE-S...item19b7e6d491

Last edited by jeffreyalman; February 3rd, 2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by jeffreyalman
there is one on ebay right now
At $150, all I can say is, holy s%#t.
Old February 15th, 2010, 03:34 PM

I got the switch out... turns out that's the issue... now I have to find one....
Old February 15th, 2010, 03:35 PM

still available http://cgi.ebay.ca/1963-OLDSMOBILE-S...item19b7e6d491