1962 Oldsmobile 98

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2014, 02:09 AM

1962 Oldsmobile 98

Hi all, Can anyone please tell me where the headlight relay can be found on the 1962 Olds 98, had the lights fail on me last night and could not find relay in the dark.
Old May 20th, 2014, 02:17 AM

The headlight switch has a built-in cct breaker. If you have a short, then the breaker will open until it cools down or maybe it has failed and the switch needs to be replaced. Pull **** out all the way, reach under dash and depress tiny spring loaded button on switch near the front and with button depressed remove **** and then you have access to the nut that holds the switch in place. Try that.
Old May 20th, 2014, 02:34 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

And, to answer your question a different way:

There is no headlight relay.

A complete wiring schematic can be found in your Service Manual.

If you do not have a Service Manual, one can be downloaded for free from WildAboutCars.

- Eric
Old May 20th, 2014, 03:57 AM

Headlight Switch

Thanks Guys,
Here is the story, had headlights on for about 1.5 hours, while driving. On high beam. When I stopped i turned lights off.but When i went to carry on headlights do not work, either on high or low. Tail lights all work ok.
Tested and had no power to dip switch, managed to bridge a wire from fuse box to low beam wire on dip switch to get lights going.
So is the circuit breaker in headlight switch the most probable fault, as it should reset, i would assume it is fried. How can i test.
Old May 20th, 2014, 04:00 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Remove the headlight switch and check continuity across the appropriate terminals.

If it's no good, another is about $12-$25, depending on whether you want the cheap brand or AC Delco.

- Eric
Old May 21st, 2014, 03:09 AM

The orange wire on the switch is 12V, which feeds the blue wire through the cct breaker, which feeds the dimmer switch. The 12V (orange wire) comes from the horn relay/junction block under the hood (bonnet).
Old May 22nd, 2014, 02:24 AM

Headlight

Thanks for that, I had the auto electrician have a look today, He found that when he hooked up the wiring plug for dip switch and tested the headlights worked fine. I assume the circuit breaker has reset. Not sure why it did not reset the other night as we were stopped for over an hour. I will most probably replace switch to be sure. What is the comparison with AC Delco and others. Any I should keep away from. Had a quick look and found some genuine GM switches listed for $200 US, awouch!.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 03:40 AM

I'm sorry, but I forgot to mention that if you are using halogen headlights, then it is advisable to install a power relay if not for the four lights then at least for the high beam cct. There is quite a current draw on high beams. I mounted a relay just behind the headlights for the high beam and am using H4 and H1 halogen bulbs. This takes a lot of stress off the headlight switch cct. breaker.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 03:32 PM

Thanks for that, If and when I upgrade lights to halogen I will install a relay, but until then I will keep an eye on the switch, The more I think about it the more I realize that it was the very long duration ( in Daylight) that I had high beam on that has caused circuit breaker to open. Then after pulling dip switch plug off and bypassing, the circuit breaker has reset. Can you tell me why some light switches on Ebay are so much difference in price. Even though they are the same AC Delco part. I see a couple around 50-80 NZ dollars and then some at 200 + NZ Dollars. Are they just greedy or is it because of the fact they are original number parts, not after sales replacements. If they are both made by AC Delco, then surly they must be the same in quality. Thanks for your Help
Old May 24th, 2014, 02:14 AM

Some people are just greedy, so go with the best deal you can get.