1961 Classic 98 GEN light and high voltage?

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2023 | 05:41 PM

1961 Classic 98 GEN light and high voltage?

Hello all,

For a while now, I have had the GEN light on in the Olds. It is actually going on about 4 years. I have switched voltage regulator as well. It does not have A/C, so it is the 35-amp regulator, mounted on the firewall. The generator is the 40-amp Delco-Remy 12V. I have a voltage reading of 15.6- 15.9 inside the car, from the little mounted voltmeter I threw in. I know this is high, but I want to know:

1) Does this high reading mean the regulator is bad?
2) Must you "flash" the regulator? Or polarize it when new? Could that have fried it?
3) What keeps the GEN light on while driving?

The belt seems tight. I have swapped several different voltage regulators in and out, with problems every time. Could the culprit be the generator itself?

I am lost here. I would like a properly running electrical system, with no GEN light on, and a normal voltage reading. Would incorrect gauge wiring also cause this?

Any input is greatly appreciated crew. I will answer any questions and I can get any pictures.

Thanks all!
Old October 4th, 2023 | 05:50 PM
Administrator

I would go through the polarize process, if you still have high voltage change the regulator. New is not always serviceable, there are many of these bad out of the box.
Old October 4th, 2023 | 05:55 PM
Running On Empty

I don't know exactly how your little mounted voltmeter you threw in is wired, but in general, a voltage reading over 15VDC is far too high.

Beginning with a better basic test, do you have a volt meter or digital multi meter? If so, with the car running, measure the voltage at the battery (car running) to determine how much voltage is being applied to the battery during a vehicle ON (running state). You should expect somewhere between 13.8VDC - 14.6VDC (optimally you can expect ~14.3VDC). Anything above 15.0VDC is an issue.
Old October 4th, 2023 | 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I don't know exactly how your little mounted voltmeter you threw in is wired, but in general, a voltage reading over 15VDC is far too high.

Beginning with a better basic test, do you have a volt meter or digital multi meter? If so, with the car running, measure the voltage at the battery (car running) to determine how much voltage is being applied to the battery during a vehicle ON (running state). You should expect somewhere between 13.8VDC - 14.6VDC (optimally you can expect ~14.3VDC). Anything above 15.0VDC is an issue.
I will use my voltmeter to get voltage from the running Olds at the battery tomorrow. I guess I hadn't even thought about the little meter being faulty or incorrect. It's a simple little meter from Amazon. I've got keyed power running to it, and then I have it grounded of course. I will update tomorrow. If I still get high voltage from the meter on the battery under the hood, I will re-polarize the regulator and see where that gets me. Thanks guys.
Old October 4th, 2023 | 07:40 PM
Running On Empty

I'd like to see clarification regarding your Generator. I believe you have a Generator as standard issue OEM equipment for the 1961 98 and NOT an alternator, if I'm not mistaken. I could be incorrect about this. The reason for my inquiry might be pertinent to the type of VR you are using. There were (perhaps) many who converted the Generator to an Alternator and I just don't have enough experience with this to be of much assistance. I "suspect" there is a difference between a Generator VR and an Alternator VR if an upgrade was performed. I'll point out a URL link (below) you might read through.

Mark (stellar) would certainly be a good candidate for assistance regarding any deltas between the two whether you have the original Generator or an upgrade to Alternator. Measuring DC voltage at the battery is still going to be a good test for tomorrow - Good Luck.

Generator To Alternator Swap Question!!!
Old October 4th, 2023 | 07:50 PM

Regulators do not need to be polarized. Generators are polarized. Flashing at the reg polarizes the gen, not the reg. Because your genney is charging it does not need to be polarized again unles it becomes reversed and the indicator would show discharge when it is actually charging in reverse. It sounds like the regulator needs to be adjusted. You may possibly have the wrong reg on the car.
What is the regulator number. If you have a 40 amp generator the regulator should be rated 36-42 amps. What is the number on the regulator you have that is rated at 35 amps? Even if it is the wrong reg, you may be able to adjust it.
Indicator light should be on when a no charge or over charge condition occurs.
Where is the indicator light connected?
Old October 4th, 2023 | 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by stellar
Regulators do not need to be polarized. Generators are polarized. Flashing at the reg polarizes the gen, not the reg. Because your genney is charging it does not need to be polarized again unles it becomes reversed and the indicator would show discharge when it is actually charging in reverse. It sounds like the regulator needs to be adjusted. You may possibly have the wrong reg on the car.
What is the regulator number. If you have a 40 amp generator the regulator should be rated 36-42 amps. What is the number on the regulator you have that is rated at 35 amps? Even if it is the wrong reg, you may be able to adjust it.
I will have to get the number off the reg tomorrow. Below is a pic

of the wiring for the warning GEN light. The second pic may be the adjustment you’re referring to?
Old October 4th, 2023 | 08:53 PM
Running On Empty

I'd like to see clarification regarding your Generator.
This is going to be sorta important. You have a Gen or was it upgraded to an Alt?
Old October 4th, 2023 | 09:06 PM

This is going to be sorta important. You have a Gen or was it upgraded to an Alt?
It is the original generator. No doubt.
Old October 4th, 2023 | 09:15 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by eggydrummer
It is the original generator. No doubt.
Thanks, just double-checking to be certain. I note you've had this issue for several years & the Gen has been rebuilt.

GEN light always on?
Old October 6th, 2023 | 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by stellar
picture of the volt reg numbers

Old October 6th, 2023 | 11:01 AM

Norm, I tested at the battery with the car running and I got 15.5 - 15.9. The reg is not adjustable. I did post a pic of the number of it earlier to this forum. Not sure what else to try. Maybe a new volt reg altogether?