Does 1965 Olds Jetstar 88 match with other GM and olds of the same year?

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2006, 11:02 AM

Does 1965 Olds Jetstar 88 match with other GM and olds of the same year?

Hi all,
Just found this forum when I bought my 1965 Oldsmobile Jetstar 88 convertible in April 2006. I had a 1966 Jetstar 88 8 years ago so I am partial although I know they were the "low end" of the Olds muscle cars ;o)

So I have some question(s)...do you know if the trunk pans are similiar or the same size to other GM cars of the same year? Such as a 1965 Chevy impala? Im trying to figure out some trunk carpeting and I think they may be the same (is the Jetstar 88 an A or B body, I cant tell from other posts) and if so it will make it easier on me....

Also wondering if the floor pans are the same as other GM vehicles (for carpeting as well). And actually is the Jetstar 88 the same body basically as the starfire, delta 88 etc for parts cross reference? They sure look similiar so Im sure they are, but not sure. I know the 98's are completely different. If someone has a body reference link they can send me, I would be appreciative.

And my jetstar has the 330 ci but with a 4bbl, no smoke and starts right up (with electronic ignition) but not the orig tranny (TH 300 is in there now I think)...I just posted 2 pics in the "88" photo gallery on this site.

Thanks,
-Matt
Old May 9th, 2006, 05:35 PM

The Jetstar is the same size/wheelbase as the other 88 series....all sheetmetal etc interchange. The Jetstar came with the small block engine and I believe the 2 speed trans....I dont know if the turbo 400 was optional as it was with the others. The Jetstar has a rear that has the same bolt pattern for wheels as the Cutlass and not the 5 inch bolt pattern....smaller brake components were used as well......Im not sure if the Impala shares the same trunk size or carpet but a full size Pontiac probably would....
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:36 PM

Thanks for the info, it will be helpful. I know too well about the flimsy 9 inch drum brakes on the Jetstar, its one weakness! ;o)
Old February 14th, 2011, 10:16 AM

Smile

I put a dual master cylinder and a 7" dual booster on my 65 Jetstar and it will scare you how quick it stops with the 9" brakes.
Old February 14th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldbiker
I put a dual master cylinder and a 7" dual booster on my 65 Jetstar and it will scare you how quick it stops with the 9" brakes.
This may just be the record for resurrecting a thread that's been dead for nearly five years...
Old February 14th, 2011, 12:33 PM

I guess I need to look at the date a little closer
Old April 24th, 2012, 11:51 AM

You say you installed a7in booster and a dual master cylinder and your car stops very good?
Old April 24th, 2012, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by sinfulsemaj
You say you installed a7in booster and a dual master cylinder and your car stops very good?
It is a 7 in dual diaphragm booster with a dual master cylinder and it stops very quick.
Old April 24th, 2012, 03:24 PM

1965 jetstar 88 convertible

Originally Posted by oldbiker
It is a 7 in dual diaphragm booster with a dual master cylinder and it stops very quick.
can you tell me where can i order these parts from and what size engine do you have, i have a 330 small block.
Old April 25th, 2012, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by sinfulsemaj
can you tell me where can i order these parts from and what size engine do you have, i have a 330 small block.
I bought mine on e-bay and I think this is the guy I got mine from:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Dual-Stree...item3f16a34e86
but i will tell you that now I am looking at a way to reduce the vacuum to the booster because just touching the pedal stops the car. When I installed it I also replaced all hard lines all rubber lines all brake cylinders all new shoes and had all drums turned so every thing is new. As for the motor I had a 330 in mine but it was bad and I had a 350 corvette motor so I put it in with a 350 turbo trans. Make sure and check the bolt pattern on the booster and how ir connects to the brake pedal. I hope this helps
Old April 30th, 2012, 06:55 PM

On a related note. I remember my 67 chevy malibu. It had a cady power steering pump, an impala windshield washer pump and a skylark starter...ahh the good ole days!!