Can someone tell me what they think these bumpers are worth?

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2012, 11:23 PM

Can someone tell me what they think these bumpers are worth?

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...178399661.html

I ran into this ad and it looks like this guy may part out his 66 Delta 88. I'm thinking about the bumpers on his car but I have no clue what a fair price is for a pair. He says that they were re-chromed, so let's assume that these are in good to great shape.

What do you guys think?
Old August 22nd, 2012, 05:23 AM

If I needed those bumpers I would offer 200 each and possibly go up to 275 or so. To rechrome would be about 500 each. The front centers are very prone to being bent. A slight tap will cause it to bend in. It looks like the rear finish panel was ground smooth and rechromed...essentially it is riuned. The engine and hood have some value. Dash pad looks cracked. Other than that the rest of the parts are not in demand. As it sits I value it at about 1000 dollars.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 05:24 AM

I'm not sure what just the bumpers would be worth. Re-chroming is not cheap if done well.
I think I would offer him $1500.00 for the whole car, then buy it for $1750 to $2000. Lots of good parts there! (Of course I'm a "hoarder"...did I mention that?)
Old August 22nd, 2012, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
If I needed those bumpers I would offer 200 each and possibly go up to 275 or so. To rechrome would be about 500 each. The front centers are very prone to being bent. A slight tap will cause it to bend in. It looks like the rear finish panel was ground smooth and rechromed...essentially it is riuned. The engine and hood have some value. Dash pad looks cracked. Other than that the rest of the parts are not in demand. As it sits I value it at about 1000 dollars.
Not in demand...unless you have a 66 Delta!
I have a 65 Delta. Every time I try to buy parts the seller certainly thinks "his" parts are in demand! Usually cheaper to try to buy the whole car than parts here and there. (Of course I'm a "hoarder", did I mention that?)
Old August 22nd, 2012, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by lansing
Not in demand...unless you have a 66 Delta!
I have a 65 Delta. Every time I try to buy parts the seller certainly thinks "his" parts are in demand! Usually cheaper to try to buy the whole car than parts here and there. (Of course I'm a "hoarder", did I mention that?)
I know what you are saying. I have purchased 66 Deltas for parts and after selling some choice parts the rest ends up in the scrap pile....you can only save so much as my garages and basement will reveal! Some parts are too bad to use and too good to trash! LOL Buying the entire car is usually a better value but not doable for some.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Thanks so much for the info. I do have my own bumpers but they have dings and the rear has a couple of rust holes. I haven't approached any rechroming shop, but my guess is that fixing my bumpers would be way more money than I'd like to pay. I'd like a pair of bumpers that look more or less straight, and can be shined up to look respectable.

Good catch on the bad work done on the bumper. Can you explain what the rear finish panel is? Not sure if I can see what you're talking about in the pics. If I start negotiating with this guy, I could point that out to justify a lower price.

True enough I would love to get the whole thing for parts, but there's no chance I'd have room for another one of these. When I was young I lived with my parents on their acreage with a barn as my own personal shop, and tons of room for parts and cars... really miss those days.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:24 AM

The rear finish panel is the chrome piece in between the tailights. It appears the grainy center was ground smooth for rechrome. If your bumpers are rusted thru I would look for repacements.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 11:37 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I kind of like it smooth like that. Looks sharp without being tacky. And if some jerk hits the bright lights on ya, he gets a reward.