1970 Delta 88 parking brake cable routing

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2011, 02:20 AM

1970 Delta 88 parking brake cable routing

I've searched this and tried to do my homework. I think my cables were routed incorrectly and the drive shaft actually ate through the intermediate cable, causing it to break. I'm guessing this was a previous issue, since I found that the intermediate cable was actually spliced in a previous repair.

Can anyone with my setup take a look and confirm a couple of things? My "cable guide" as shown in the attached pic is 20 1/2" long. Is this correct? Also, the factory diagram shows the guide as being on top of the crossmember on the passenger side. Is that correct, are there any other cable guides, and how does the cable route around the exhaust and driveshaft as it moves to the rear of the car?

Thanks for any help, I'll post pics of the repair once complete.

John
1970 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Convertible
350 Rocket/TH350

frontview.png

allcables-1.png
Old January 3rd, 2012, 12:45 AM

I haven't forgotten this one. I ordered the intermediate cable from Napa on Decmber 15th, still no cable. They were the only source I could find. As soon as it comes in, I'll hop to it and get some pics up.

In the meantime, I stripped the old carpet, removed the flooring rust, coated the floor with POR 15, and added sound insulation and a new carpet. I failed to take pics of the project (shame on me) but the finished product is NICE! and quiet!!
Old January 4th, 2012, 01:39 AM

NAPA SCREWED ME!!!

Dang, just got an email saying the cable is no longer manufactured. But not to fear, I found a new Raybestos cable on eBay for $21 shipped. With any luck I'll get it before the weekend. Since I will have her up on the lift, my son and I will take the oppportunity to clean 40 years of crud off the under carriage, slap on some POR-15 (I love that stuff), change the transmission fluid and filter, oil pan gasket, oil, and filter, and snap some pics.