Windshield washer pump troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2011, 10:39 PM

Windshield washer pump troubleshooting

Hey guys I didnt know really where to post something like this but figured I would do it here. I recently bought a 85 delta 88 with orig 57k on the car, everything on the car works great besides I can get any windshield fluid to come out the clean my windshield as I drive, the wipers work fine and when I pump it I hear nothing as far as a pump motor goes.

Where should I start??? maybe just the fuse??
Old May 27th, 2011, 04:59 AM

In earlier days the washer pump was attached right to the wiper motor, so I'm guessing that it was powered by the same circuit and thus protected by the same fuse as the wiper motor. So if the wipers work, the fuse is not the reason the washer doesn't work.

But later on, they started to put the washer fluid pump in the washer fluid reservoir. That might very well have had its own fuse.

I don't know which way it is on your car, and that's the first thing you'll have to determine. Find the washer fluid outlets where they spray at your windshield and trace the lines back to find the pump.

Checking for a blown fuse is the obvious thing to do first. Get out your car's owner's manual or chassis service manual and look up the fuse panel diagram. See first if there even is a fuse that controls the washer pump separately from the wiper motor. If there is, pull it out and check it.

If a fuse is not the problem, then you need to find the washer pump itself and make sure its ok. Check the wiring. If that looks good, remove it from the car and attach it to a battery and see if it operates.

I had a '95 Pontiac minivan where the washers stopped working. It turned out to be the washer pump itself, and it was the kind that mounted in the washer fluid reservoir. At the time, the car was only a few years old, and I could get a new washer pump at the local auto parts store (had to be ordered, took an overnight). I looked online just now, and Rockauto carries washer pumps for '85 Delta 88s. They cost about $25 plus shipping.
Old May 27th, 2011, 06:34 AM

I happened to be at an O'Reilly's location the other day, and asked if they had a ww pump replacement for an Oldsmobile......counter guy asked "what year"? Replied '68. He didn't even try a look up on his 'puter, said was not an available item. I figured as much. Seems it used to be available in the "HELP" line at reputable parts stores.
Old May 27th, 2011, 06:52 AM

They sell rebuild kits like HELP, Dorman etc. for those pumps attached to the wiper motor (o-rings etc). The ones in the reservoir will have to be purchased. I'd look for a bad connection while you're there, might save you some time and money.
Old May 27th, 2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
He didn't even try a look up on his 'puter, said was not an available item.
Rockauto shows availability of a windshield washer pump for a '68 Cutlass. $22.79

Autozone's website shows availability of washer pumps for a '68 Cutlass. One is $5.99, and the other is $19.99. The $5.99 one looks more like a rebuild kit while the $19.99 one looks like a whole new pump.

Also, Fusick sells a rebuild kit for these. It's on page 61 of their Cutlass catalog. $19.50
Old May 27th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

That wiper-motor-mounted pump for the '68's is the same for every GM car made with that wiper motor from the mid-sixties through the mid-eighties (which is pretty much every GM car made). They're a dime a dozen, and a "free extra" junkyard score.
The idea that it's not available in auto parts stores is ridiculous. In addition to RockAuto and Advance, it's also at NAPA (part #BK 6651536) for $27.49.

- Eric
Old May 27th, 2011, 08:27 AM

Thanks thats exactly what I was looking for......I guess mine is the older style my res has no pump in it......The motor and pump are both located on the back wall of the engine bay. So this rules out the fuse correct???

All the lines look great to and from the res and pump......So im thinking it has to be either the motor or pump.

Originally Posted by jaunty75
In earlier days the washer pump was attached right to the wiper motor, so I'm guessing that it was powered by the same circuit and thus protected by the same fuse as the wiper motor. So if the wipers work, the fuse is not the reason the washer doesn't work.

But later on, they started to put the washer fluid pump in the washer fluid reservoir. That might very well have had its own fuse.

I don't know which way it is on your car, and that's the first thing you'll have to determine. Find the washer fluid outlets where they spray at your windshield and trace the lines back to find the pump.

Checking for a blown fuse is the obvious thing to do first. Get out your car's owner's manual or chassis service manual and look up the fuse panel diagram. See first if there even is a fuse that controls the washer pump separately from the wiper motor. If there is, pull it out and check it.

If a fuse is not the problem, then you need to find the washer pump itself and make sure its ok. Check the wiring. If that looks good, remove it from the car and attach it to a battery and see if it operates.

I had a '95 Pontiac minivan where the washers stopped working. It turned out to be the washer pump itself, and it was the kind that mounted in the washer fluid reservoir. At the time, the car was only a few years old, and I could get a new washer pump at the local auto parts store (had to be ordered, took an overnight). I looked online just now, and Rockauto carries washer pumps for '85 Delta 88s. They cost about $25 plus shipping.
Old May 27th, 2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by DeltaDevil88
Thanks thats exactly what I was looking for......I guess mine is the older style my res has no pump in it......The motor and pump are both located on the back wall of the engine bay. So this rules out the fuse correct???
I would think so, but it certainly shouldn't be too difficult to find the wiper fuse and check it. But if the wipers work, the fuse is obviously OK. I wouldn't think the wiper and washer would be on different fuses if the washer pump is mounted ON the wiper motor.
Old May 27th, 2011, 08:32 AM

It's common for that little pump to break. I've replaced the guts on them in several cars. That's the kit people have been mentioning here that contains the o-rings, rubber diaphragm, etc. Don't forget to check the siphon in the reservoir to make sure it's clear and able to pull fluid easily.
Old May 27th, 2011, 08:41 AM

The pump is mounted in the wiper motot assy and should be replacable. I recall doing it on my 86 Cutlass and I think they share same (if not similar) motor units. Same fuse, too.
Make sur ethe fluid is not all gummed up from age and blow air through the hoses and nozzles to make sure they are clear. Priming the system with fluid will help since they do not seem to prime well when dry.

I concluded that GM has had some of the most unreliable washers. My Ford has a pump in the tank and still works great. All my 3 GMs' are busted...