1975 delta 88 royale convertible

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2019, 11:58 PM

1975 delta 88 royale convertible

Hello everyone I'm new here. I had a question and maybe you all could help. My grandfather has a 1975 delta 88 royale convertible. none of us really know its worth. My dad and I were just curious as to how much it may be worth not that we have any intention on trying to sell it or get my grandfather to sell it. It has 6k original miles on it and has been garage kept its whole life. The pic isn't the best because my grandpa won't let anyone move the car and I was the first person he let touch it in a long time.
Old January 12th, 2019, 06:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. Unfortunately, without better photos and more info, it's impossible to provide any useful value data. It looks like a very nice car from the little bit we can see, but keep in mind that this is not exactly a popular model to collect, so don't expect Barrett Jackson prices.
Old January 12th, 2019, 06:10 AM

man barrett jacksons a name i haven't heard in quite some time lol. It was just more of a curiosity thing. Unfortunately no one is allowed to move the car and as you can see the garage is quite crowded. Otherwise I'd love to get pics all around the car.
Old January 12th, 2019, 06:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsoverallelse
man barrett jacksons a name i haven't heard in quite some time lol. It was just more of a curiosity thing. Unfortunately no one is allowed to move the car and as you can see the garage is quite crowded. Otherwise I'd love to get pics all around the car.
Unfortunately, we often get questions from non-car people who have been watching BJ and thus think their rusty POS four door that hasn't moved in 30 years is worth a million bucks. In your case, the car looks nice, but without knowing detailed condition, engine size, power options, etc, it's difficult to know.
Old January 12th, 2019, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Unfortunately, we often get questions from non-car people who have been watching BJ and thus think their rusty POS four door that hasn't moved in 30 years is worth a million bucks. In your case, the car looks nice, but without knowing detailed condition, engine size, power options, etc, it's difficult to know.
Just spoke to my pops. Info is a bit limited obviously cause of lack of pics. Its fully loaded and has the 350. I only really know it belonged to the wife of a Oldsmobile dealership owner by where my grandpa lives and he got it during the estate sale when the guy passed away. only real concern my dad and I have is the car hasn't even been started since it was sat back in 03 I believe. Dads a mechanic and will more than likely take his time making sure every thing works as it should if he's given the chance. Grandpa has reached the good ole angry old man years so its a bit rough lol
Old January 12th, 2019, 06:23 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Welcome,
As already mentioned the B body cars don't have as large a following, BUT they do have some. The good part about your story is two fold.
1. This is the Royale Convertible, which will always be worth more.
2. It's a one owner low mileage car that has obviously been well protected throughout its life.

From what I can see, you should be able to get a picture of the VIN, Interior (option list would be nice) and pop the hood and get a picture of the engine compartment. It came standard with a 350, but could be ordered with the 455.

Beautiful looking color. Your grand dad has good taste in cars. What made him put it away and not drive it???
Old January 12th, 2019, 06:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

Grandpa has reached the good ole angry old man years so its a bit rough lol
Hey! I resemble that remark!
Old January 12th, 2019, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Welcome,
As already mentioned the B body cars don't have as large a following, BUT they do have some. The good part about your story is two fold.
1. This is the Royale Convertible, which will always be worth more.
2. It's a one owner low mileage car that has obviously been well protected throughout its life.

From what I can see, you should be able to get a picture of the VIN, Interior (option list would be nice) and pop the hood and get a picture of the engine compartment. It came standard with a 350, but could be ordered with the 455.

Beautiful looking color. Your grand dad has good taste in cars. What made him put it away and not drive it???
We literally have no idea. One day he just up and decided no one was allowed to touch it anymore and it got put in the garage. When I was a toddler he would take me out for rides in it. I may actually have a vin pic lemme look. I know he had some paperwork sitting on the dash in the car and im a bigger guy so squeezing near the side was not easy.
Old January 12th, 2019, 06:33 AM

We literally have no idea. One day he just up and decided no one was allowed to touch it anymore and it got put in the garage. When I was a toddler he would take me out for rides in it. I may actually have a vin pic lemme look. I know he had some paperwork sitting on the dash in the car and im a bigger guy so squeezing near the side was not easy.
Yea just checked. The pic I put on this was the best pic I had. I didnt get the Vin and unfortunately this car is 4 states away from me atm. Maybe this will be the year he let's any of us move it. I know its a bit away but I'll be seeing him again in august and if I can get better pics I'd love to show everyone just because I know you will all appreciate it. I went to the chicago autoshow back in 2013 and they had the twin but in blue with 16k miles on it and I couldn't help but chuckle. as far as options and motor go. Its a 350 like a mentioned in a different reply. as far as interior options go according to my dad its fully loaded, He's been around the car a lot longer than I have lol.
Old January 12th, 2019, 11:20 AM

We don't need the value here down to the nearest penny. Regardless of whether it has a 350 or a 455 or whether or not it has air-conditioning or cruise control or power windows, the bottom line is that what gives this car value is that it is a convertible, which we already know. It looks pretty good cosmetically in the one photo.

A '75 Delta 88 convertible sold for just over $7,000 at one of the Vanderbrink auctions last October. Line 4 here.

On the other end of the spectrum, here's a '75 that was bid up to $19,000 at the Mecum auction going on right now in Kissimmee, Florida. It did not reach reserve. It has a 350 and A/C. Note that the power antenna doesn't go all the way down. Welcome to my world.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0119-35...8-convertible/

A close cousin to these cars is this '73 Delta 88 convertible which DID sell for $7,150 at the same Kissimmee auction. Interestingly, that's only $10 different from the selling price of the Vanderbrink '75.

Assuming the OP's car gets back on the road and that it's as nice as that one photo implies, it's likely worth somewhere in the high five [correction: four] figures, maybe $7,000 to $9,000. If he needs to know whether it's value is $7,456.15 and not $7,687.45, then, yes, we need to know it's condition and option list in detail. But I don't think the OP needs that if he's not looking to sell the car. A ballpark figure is good enough.

Last edited by jaunty75; January 12th, 2019 at 01:30 PM.
Old January 12th, 2019, 11:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jaunty75
it's likely worth somewhere in the high five figures, maybe $7,000 to $9,000.
Um...

You mean "high FOUR figures", I'm guessing...

Naturally, bids that don't meet reserve are irrelevant, since no cash actually changed hands and you have no idea if those were legitimate bids or shill bids. Checking ebay completed auctions, there have been four 1975 D88 convertibles listed in the last few months. The only one that sold was this Royale, back in October, for $1,525. This one needed restoration and had right rear quarter damage.

The others, which were all much nicer, got no bids when starting prices were in the teens or even in the high four figures. This one. with an alleged 28,000 miles, has been continually relisted with starting bid dropping every time to the current $6,250, and still got no bids.

Old January 12th, 2019, 11:41 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Interesting comparison - a beat to crap totally roached POS and a decent driver. Nowhere close to what the OP says his grand dad has with an unmolested 6k mile car.
Old January 12th, 2019, 11:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

Interesting comparison - a beat to crap totally roached POS and a decent driver. Nowhere close to what the OP says his grand dad has with an unmolested 6k mile car.
One more time.

I wasn't "comparing" anything. I was providing data points. There have only been four 1975 D88 convertibles listed on ebay in the last few months. I can't control the quality of what people sell. I didn't draw any comparisons. I only provided the data for people to make an informed decision. Big name, nationally publicized auctions are not the real world and should not be the only source of "value" data. Ebay is a lot closer to what an average seller is going to be able to get. Again, of the four, only one (the "beat to crap" one) actually sold. None of the others did, despite being in better shape but with higher starting bids. Feel free to do your own research.
Old January 12th, 2019, 12:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Actually I was trying to research the Royale Vert market and am coming up with a lot of nothing lately. I'm not sure if that's an indication they've gone into hiding or been turned into demo derby cars. Can't even find a lot of nice similar era 98 offerings. Trying to remember, but wasn't 75 the last year the Royale had a Vert option?

BTW, I realize you're just presenting data. I just made the comparison.
Old January 12th, 2019, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
You mean "high FOUR figures", I'm guessing...
Four, five, six, what's a few decimal points among friends?!

I've fixed my earlier comment.
Old January 12th, 2019, 01:37 PM

I was able to find photos of the D-88 convertible sold by Vanderbrink auctions last October. Looks pretty darn good for just over $7K.

I see that it's missing the trim strip along the right rear.

From the auction site:

The car is in very good condition, but has not run recently and may need brake work. The car is white in color with matching convertible top and interior. The car has a 350 V8 and AT transmission. There are 38,974 miles on the odometer. It is loaded with options and power top. The interior is white vinyl bench seat with red carpet. Electric windows and locks and power seat. It has the column shift AT transmission. AM/FM radio. Clock.

http://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/lot-item/3d/

Last edited by jaunty75; January 12th, 2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old January 12th, 2019, 01:46 PM

Trying to remember, but wasn't 75 the last year the Royale had a Vert option?
Yes. 1975 was the last year for all of the big GM convertibles (Delta 88, Caprice, Lesabre, Grand Ville) except the Eldorado, which lasted one more year.

Old January 12th, 2019, 01:55 PM

We don't need the value here down to the nearest penny. Regardless of whether it has a 350 or a 455 or whether or not it has air-conditioning or cruise control or power windows, the bottom line is that what gives this car value is that it is a convertible, which we already know. It looks pretty good cosmetically in the one photo.

A '75 Delta 88 convertible sold for just over $7,000 at one of the Vanderbrink auctions last October. Line 4 here.

On the other end of the spectrum, here's a '75 that was bid up to $19,000 at the Mecum auction going on right now in Kissimmee, Florida. It did not reach reserve. It has a 350 and A/C. Note that the power antenna doesn't go all the way down. Welcome to my world.

A close cousin to these cars is this '73 Delta 88 convertible which DID sell for $7,150 at the same Kissimmee auction. Interestingly, that's only $10 different from the selling price of the Vanderbrink '75.

Assuming the OP's car gets back on the road and that it's as nice as that one photo implies, it's likely worth somewhere in the high five [correction: four] figures, maybe $7,000 to $9,000. If he needs to know whether it's value is $7,456.15 and not $7,687.45, then, yes, we need to know it's condition and option list in detail. But I don't think the OP needs that if he's not looking to sell the car. A ballpark figure is good enough.
This is more what I was looking for thank you I appreciate it! It is a shame that there isn't a bigger market for these cars. I love the old land yachts. My personality project at the moment is a 1996 buick roadmaster wagon. Dream car is a 1970 vista cruiser.
Old January 12th, 2019, 01:58 PM

Thank you all for your replies and for being nice to the new guy 😁 if my grandpa let's any of us get it back on the road I'll be sure to get better pics of the car for everyone.
Old January 12th, 2019, 02:15 PM

I'm surprised your grandfather is so insistent that the car stay in the garage. What does he have to gain by this? From what you say, it's unlikely his health will let him drive it if it gets back on the road while he's still alive, so it seems that his time with the car is over. So why not let his son and grandson get it out and fixed up while he's still around to see it happen and maybe enjoy another ride in it, something which apparently he hasn't been able to do in 16 years.
Old January 12th, 2019, 02:24 PM

I'm surprised your grandfather is so insistent that the car stay in the garage. What does he have to gain by this? From what you say, it's unlikely his health will let him drive it if it gets back on the road while he's still alive, so it seems that his time with the car is over. So why not let his son and grandson get it out and fixed up while he's still around to see it happen and maybe enjoy another ride in it, something which apparently he hasn't been able to do in 16 years.
Stubborn old angry man. He's almost completely deaf and so asking him anything unless its written on paper gets him irritated because he tries so hard to hear us but he just can't. I love the guy you death but none of us know why no one is allowed to touch the car
Old January 12th, 2019, 02:28 PM

Sorry to hear that. My parents are nearly 90 and occasionally have episodes like that, especially my mother, who can be inexplicably cantankerous at times. Just have to remember that it's the age talking, not the person inside.
Old January 12th, 2019, 02:30 PM

Does your grandfather have a hearing aid? Sometimes people are too proud to wear one or don't want to accept that they need one (see, for example, my father). If he doesn't have one and a doctor says it could help him, getting one could make a world of difference for him. He might even let you get the car out!
Old January 12th, 2019, 03:23 PM

Does your grandfather have a hearing aid? Sometimes people are too proud to wear one or don't want to accept that they need one (see, for example, my father). If he doesn't have one and a doctor says it could help him, getting one could make a world of difference for him. He might even let you get the car out!
Unfortunately he tried that route a bit too late. The doctor told my grandma his hearing is so bad that even a hearing aid would be no help to him sadly. He was too proud but then when he finally put the ego away it was too late