Is a 1955 rebuilt generator ...

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2018, 03:22 PM

Is a 1955 rebuilt generator ...

Sold my 55 to a buddy of mine and I just bought a 1955 Super 88 project back from the guy I sold it to three years ago (my sig pic). He had the generator rebuilt. My question is should I keep the car stock or is there a big plus in converting it to an alternator? Thanks,

Roy

Last edited by Fitti Fi; October 20th, 2018 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old October 20th, 2018, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Its a personal choice, there is no right or wrong answer.
Old October 20th, 2018, 03:43 PM

Hey, Eric, so I assume a generator is as good as an alternator. Thanks
Old October 20th, 2018, 04:07 PM
Administrator

They are both good until the smoke comes out. A lot of people like to convert to 12v on the vintage stuff, unless you plan on adding a bunch of stereo equipment, a/c and other stuff, the generator will work fine.
Old October 20th, 2018, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
They are both good until the smoke comes out. A lot of people like to convert to 12v on the vintage stuff, unless you plan on adding a bunch of stereo equipment, a/c and other stuff, the generator will work fine.
since my last 55 was modified before I got it, I had no clue that a 55 S 88 was six volt 😳
Old October 20th, 2018, 08:39 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

A 55 was not six volts. Olds converted to 12 volts in 1953. There is a reason automakers switched from generators to alternators. It is because alternators are better. One thing they do is put our more voltage at idle. Generators worked for years and as Eric mentioned, you are probably okay with one as long as you don't add a lot of accessories. I have a single wire alternator on my 54 that is about 135 amps. But I am running AC, electric fuel pump. one electric fan and an aftermarket radio.
Old October 20th, 2018, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
A 55 was not six volts. Olds converted to 12 volts in 1953. There is a reason automakers switched from generators to alternators. It is because alternators are better. One thing they do is put our more voltage at idle. Generators worked for years and as Eric mentioned, you are probably okay with one as long as you don't add a lot of accessories. I have a single wire alternator on my 54 that is about 135 amps. But I am running AC, electric fuel pump. one electric fan and an aftermarket radio.
ahh, thank you redoldsman, I mistakenly took Eric’s general statement on vintage cars to also included the 55. Good night.

Roy
Old October 21st, 2018, 04:55 AM
Administrator

Sorry for the misunderstanding yes that was just a general statement about conversions. What I was meaning is they convert to 12v and retain the generator.
Old October 21st, 2018, 08:13 AM

Do you show your car or plan to in serious shows? If you do you will loose points with a alternator if that matters to you. I've had my issues with rebuilt generators in the past but still run a generator for show reasons. For your local show and shine most wouldn't know the difference or care. My opinion alternators last longer and are easier to maintain and give a greater range of amperage if needed. Generators just look correct and cool on a vintage ride though.... Just my thoughts.... Tedd
Old October 21st, 2018, 10:17 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Tedd:

It is good t see you back on here. I think you summed this up well. If you want both worlds there are companies that convert generators to alternators so you can keep the correct look for your car. I have never priced it but I am sure it is not cheap.
Old October 21st, 2018, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Tedd:

It is good t see you back on here. I think you summed this up well. If you want both worlds there are companies that convert generators to alternators so you can keep the correct look for your car. I have never priced it but I am sure it is not cheap.
Good to be back...... Tedd
Old October 22nd, 2018, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Fitti Fi
My question is should I keep the car stock or is there a big plus in converting it to an alternator?

Roy
As everyone said, it depends on your priorities. If originality is important, keep the generator. If not, and you have large power demands and drive slowly, change to the alternator. When I had the generator, a slow summer's night drive with the A/C, lights and radio on resulted in the battery being in worse shape when I got home than when I left. The change to the alternator solved the shortfall.