Courtesy Light/ Dome Light Stays On

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2017, 04:40 PM

Courtesy Light/ Dome Light Stays On

Hi everyone

First time on this forum so i apologize for not going to the new people thread or if this topic came up already. Ive got a '53 rocket eighty-eight whose courtesy lights and dome light constantly stay on with the doors closed. I replaced both the headlight switch and each door switch and they still stay on. Also, toggling the dome light switch does nothing.

Ive looked at the wiring diagram and have seen that there is a "courtesy light switch." If this exists, where would I find it in the car? Also, any suggestions on solutions to this issue?

Now mind you, I have limited knowledge on how all of the buttons and switches work on this car. Its been in my family since '53 and I'm starting to take care of it so I could be missing something as simple as some hidden switch or **** somewhere that controls the lights. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 53oldsmobile; July 12th, 2017 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Forgot to add an important piece of info
Old July 12th, 2017, 05:58 PM

So, I figured it out. It turns out that the door switch plunger on the rear side was never fully making contact with the door when it closes. A small piece of foam or rubber will fix it. I also found the courtesy light switch under the dash by the air vent pull-out ****.

Side note though, anyone reading this have suggestions for the best way to access the headlight switch and other wiring under the dash? I have to twist my body and go upside down to work under the dash each time and its terrible. Thanks for the help!