67 88 delta/delmont front signal lamp location

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2016, 03:29 PM

67 88 delta/delmont front signal lamp location

does anyone know what determines where the front signal lamps are located ?it's driving me a little crazy that i've seen them either between the headlights or in the front bumper on any model and have searched brochures for info and can't find anything.it would seem that a level of a model would decide it but it doesn't seem to follow that theme.any insight would be appreciated,don't know why it's bugging me but it does.jc
Old May 3rd, 2016, 08:21 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If I recall, Delmont and Ninety-Eight had them in the bumper, and Delta had them between the headlights.

- Eric
Old May 4th, 2016, 04:05 AM

i have seen delmonts and deltas both ways,searching dealer brochures and sales literature.at first i thought it was delta and delmont 425s that had them between the headlights but i've seen conflicting images.
Old May 4th, 2016, 07:37 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Doesn't matter what the internet has said.

I just checked the large 1967 all lines brochure, and my memory was correct:

Delmont: Bumper

Delta (standard): Grille

Delta Royale: Grille

Ninety-Eight: Bumper.

350 was standard in the Delmont, 425 was standard in all others, so that may be part of the confusion.

- Eric
Old May 4th, 2016, 08:42 AM

i wasnt going by what the internet said,after studying numerous dealer brochures i definitely agree with you.apparently most of the 67 deltas and delmonts pictured on line have each other's front ends on them.i currently have a 67 delmont that came from 1 family with 73k on it and it has lights between the headlights. it sure doesn't look like it's been tampered with but it must have been.thanks for responding,it was bugging me.
Old May 4th, 2016, 09:02 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Fifty years is a long time...

A front-end fender-bender is the most likely explanation.

Glad I could help.

- Eric
Old May 4th, 2016, 11:54 AM

eric, 330 for the delmont in 67 ,also the delmont 88 425 was a submodel of delmont not just engine size statement.is it just me or does the 67 delta front view look a lot like a 68 cutlass?
Old May 4th, 2016, 12:23 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Yep, 330 for 67.

I'm sure that's what he meant.

I always found the front ends of the full size 67's rather intriguing.

Entry - Delmont
Mid - Delta
Luxury - Ninety Eight

One wonder's what the reasons were for what they did.

The entry level Delmont more closely resembles that of the top dog Ninety Eight, with the mid-level Delta looking more like that of a Cutlass.

I always thought that was somewhat bassackwards, but perhaps the reason was, they wanted the nose of the Delta to resemble the more "youthful" Cutlass.

I myself always thought the Delmont had the best looking front end.

If I ever owned a 67 Delta, I don't think I could swap over to the Delmont parts fast enough.

Course' I get similar thoughts whenever I see a 73 Delta.

Despite that being much more involved, I always mentally undress & re-dress them with 71/2 - 74/5 noses or maybe even a 76 nose.

Old May 4th, 2016, 02:00 PM

it seems to me that the delta front end would look better on the 98,after all that look was new for the cutlass in 67 yet the 67 98 looks more like a 66 cutlass. wish i paid more attention to the 67,68 88s a while back ,now that i look at them i think they are an awesome looking car.elegant and sporty all at the same time.
Old May 4th, 2016, 02:19 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by jcdynamic88
... the delmont 88 425 was a submodel of delmont not just engine size statement.
I don't think I ever knew that. Interesting.

Originally Posted by ThePackRat
Yep, 330 for 67.

I'm sure that's what he meant.
Yeah, I did.

Seems my brain knows that the displacement was increased for '68, but my fingers don't.

One wonder's what the reasons were for what they did.

The entry level Delmont more closely resembles that of the top dog Ninety Eight, with the mid-level Delta looking more like that of a Cutlass.

I always thought that was somewhat bassackwards, but perhaps the reason was, they wanted the nose of the Delta to resemble the more "youthful" Cutlass.
Yeah, that's the only reason I could think of, too: To continue the lines of the A-body and make it look more "swingin'."

Course' I get similar thoughts whenever I see a 73 Delta.

Despite that being much more involved, I always mentally undress & re-dress them with 71/2 - 74/5 noses or maybe even a 76 nose.
Sacrilege. The '73 is the only nose in that range that even kind of looks good.

- Eric
Old May 4th, 2016, 04:15 PM

The '67 Delta 88 headlights are separated by the turn signal light on each side. On the 98 and Delmont 88, the headlights (hi and lo beam) are adjacent to each other on the outboard ends of the grille. There is no room between the headlights on the Delmont and 98 to put the turn signals or anything else.

98 front end:

Delmont 88 front end (similar in appearance to the 98):

Delta 88/Delta 88 Custom front end (in the middle):

The car pictured on the front cover of the '67 Olds brochure is a Delta 88 Custom. That was a new model for Olds that year, and they were touting it.

An issue that crops up all the time in the world of '67 full-size Oldsmobiles is front bumper interchangeability. Unlike most years in that era, where the full-size cars were all identical as far as the front bumper went, and it was the rear bumpers that differed between the 98 and the 88s, for '67, the Delmont front bumper is unique to the Delmont, the Delta front bumper is unique to the Delta, and the 98 front bumper is unique to the 98. This makes finding a replacement bumper if you need one just a little more difficult.