What's this worth? '55 88 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:39 PM

What's this worth? '55 88 Convertible

I'm thinking about buying a particular 1955 Oldsmobile 88 Convertible. Would like to get some info pronto!

Typical story: found an old guy trying to sell a 1955 Oldsmobile convertible via a sign on the side of the road. Seems very cheap for any 50s convertible, let alone in what looks to be 95% show-ready conditon (looks totally rust free, I got underneath and and not one speck in the sills - all still nice and black underneath, just one dent on the rear bumper - only 1!). Interior is mint. Paint is like silk (white and green with matching interior). Engine looks good - didn't drive it yet for want of rego, but he claimed it drove very well.

New top recently - not electric; were they all factory electric? He also said the brakes were not power - from my reading they were standard power for the convertible in '55; is this correct? He said he thought they were power but the power assist was not working.

Under the hood it had nice, green Oldsmobile Rocket covers, a gold carb on top and a gold rim around the radiator enscribed with Golden Rocket and Oldsmobile - was there a factory Golden Rocket for '55 or is this aftermarket? If original, is it special? I can't find much info so I'm guessing it would be if it is original.

From my reading there were 9,007 Super 88 Convertibles produced in '55, and all convertibles were Super 88s, and not 88s, is this also correct? So 9,007 of all '55 88 convertibles only? It has Holiday written up by the nose rather than 88. Certainly has no signs of being a chop-top and not an original convertible.

Any tips/advice on stuff to look for? I'm coming from an upbringing of Caddies so I know how to buy a good example, just not what it's an example of!

Anyone got any idea what they sell for? It's about a third the price of what a '55 Buick convertible would be in this condition.
Old April 17th, 2012, 03:16 AM

Sounds like a good car, post some pics if you can so we can see what you are looking at.
Old April 17th, 2012, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Pre-Mopar
From my reading there were 9,007 Super 88 Convertibles produced in '55, and all convertibles were Super 88s, and not 88s, is this also correct?
Yes, all are correct. All 88 convertibles in 1955 were Super 88's.

It has Holiday written up by the nose rather than 88.
This is a little weird because "Holiday" was Oldsmobile's term, used for many years, for a hardtop, whether two or four-door. I don't know that this term would have been used on a convertible.

Any tips/advice on stuff to look for?
Yes, I'd start by finding out if that "Holiday" on it is original or if someone added it later. Perhaps the hood or fender it's on was replaced at some point with one from a non-convertible.

Anyone got any idea what they sell for? It's about a third the price of what a '55 Buick convertible would be in this condition.
Don't keep us in suspense. What is the asking price?

The Old Cars Price Guide lists the value for one of these in #3 condition ("car show" but not showroom) at just under $40,000. In showroom condition (#2), the value shown is $60,000.
Old April 17th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

if this is the red & white one from 'blue hills' area, be careful - may be a scam.

also, it would absolutely not say "HOLIDAY" anywhere on it - so that is a replacement or addition as has already been said.
Old April 17th, 2012, 08:52 AM

I'm thinking about buying a particular 1955 Oldsmobile 88 Convertible. Would like to get some info pronto!

Typical story: found an old guy trying to sell a 1955 Oldsmobile convertible via a sign on the side of the road. Seems very cheap for any 50s convertible, let alone in what looks to be 95% show-ready condition (looks totally rust free, I got underneath and and not one speck in the sills - all still nice and black underneath, just one dent on the rear bumper - only 1!). Interior is mint. Paint is like silk (white and green with matching interior). Engine looks good - didn't drive it yet for want of rego, but he claimed it drove very well.

New top recently - not electric; were they all factory electric? He also said the brakes were not power - from my reading they were standard power for the convertible in '55; is this correct? He said he thought they were power but the power assist was not working.

Under the hood it had nice, green Oldsmobile Rocket covers, a gold carb on top and a gold rim around the radiator enscribed with Golden Rocket and Oldsmobile - was there a factory Golden Rocket for '55 or is this aftermarket? If original, is it special? I can't find much info so I'm guessing it would be if it is original.

From my reading there were 9,007 Super 88 Convertibles produced in '55, and all convertibles were Super 88s, and not 88s, is this also correct? So 9,007 of all '55 88 convertibles only? It has Holiday written up by the nose rather than 88. Certainly has no signs of being a chop-top and not an original convertible.

Any tips/advice on stuff to look for? I'm coming from an upbringing of Caddies so I know how to buy a good example, just not what it's an example of!

It does sound as though it was put together from different cars but a good find if you can get it and very rare. I've never seen the gold radiator trim you speak of and my car is just about as stock, original as it gets. All convertibles had power brakes and none were labeled holiday. They also all had power electric over hydraulic tops. Is it on a 98 Starfire frame or a 88(long wheel base or short)? probably 88 but with the swapping of parts you never know with out a picture. If it's not a scam my advise is buy it, in the twelve or more years I have show en my car I have only seen two 88 convertibles and that was at the Olds Nationals last year. I do know of one that sold last year in show ready condition ( a low #2) for $42'000 real cash money, that one was bought sight unseen. Don't know if this helps but if the deal it real don't let it get away, it's doubtful you will ever get another chance......Tedd
Old April 17th, 2012, 09:06 AM

Here's a link to one from a 2009 Barrett Jackson auction, gives you and idea of fender trim. Not sure if the wire wheels were actually an option then, or how correct the interior is. There are also a couple 55 Starfire verts in their archives if you wish to search. I only saw hardtops in Mecum's archives.
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli...&aid=284&pop=0

Here's the Starfire, as you can see in the pics they had that name on the fenders
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli...5&aid=45&pop=0

Again, may not be 100% correct especially the underhood details and seat covers.

Last edited by Russ P in MD; April 17th, 2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old April 17th, 2012, 05:58 PM

Here are the pics. Just snapped with an iPhone. Not many; the only other pics I took were of the sides (straight as new) and sills - the bodywork was all show quality. Maybe not Pebble Beach, but certainly good enough for behind the red rope at the local exhibition centre.

The guy claimed not to know much about it. That potentially includes what it's worth! He didn't know any history; just that he hadn't found any rust on it. I checked in the enginebay and it didn't have any signs of accident repair.

Looked like a short wheelbase to me, but I have had two '59 Caddies to compare it to... I was parked next to a later Ford Customline sedan at a cafe moments earlier and it was a similar size.

He's asking $21,995 Australian dollars.

Old April 17th, 2012, 06:28 PM

Here are the pics.
$22,000 Australian is about $23,000 U.S. That's a good price. As Tedd Thompson says, you should buy it.

The wheelbase on all '55 88s was 122 inches. For the 98, it was 126 inches.

Last edited by jaunty75; April 18th, 2012 at 05:34 AM.
Old April 17th, 2012, 08:31 PM

Here are the pics. Just snapped with an iPhone. Not many; the only other pics I took were of the sides (straight as new) and sills - the bodywork was all show quality. Maybe not Pebble Beach, but certainly good enough for behind the red rope at the local exhibition centre.

The guy claimed not to know much about it. That potentially includes what it's worth! He didn't know any history; just that he hadn't found any rust on it. I checked in the enginebay and it didn't have any signs of accident repair.

Looked like a short wheelbase to me, but I have had two '59 Caddies to compare it to... I was parked next to a later Ford Customline sedan at a cafe moments earlier and it was a similar size.

He's asking $21,995 Australian dollars.

I bet you would be the only person in Australia to have one, no joke they are that rare...Tedd
Old April 18th, 2012, 03:04 AM

Ok, nevermind! Went and had a closer look. It's pretty certainly a chop top. Albeit a VERY good one! Looks like the real thing, but a few things don't look quite right which are able to be seen when the hood is down. Where it sits isn't correct and there is no switch etc. Clips are also not very 50s on closer inspection. The guy also said it came without a frame for the roof - pretty unusual in my experience even for something that's been pulled out of an Arizona junk yard. It's also got manual windows - not a Super 88 thing I believe. Still not bad value for the condition, and a Carson top would start it on the way to a pretty cool custom. But I might wait for a proper coupe.

Damn! Thought I was onto something for a minute.

Oh well, thanks for the help folks.

Edit: I guess I don't KNOW that it's a chop-top for certain. Can anyone tell from the shape of around where the roof meets the rear quarters? Or is it all the same? Don't have the VIN on me unfortunately.

Last edited by Pre-Mopar; April 18th, 2012 at 03:28 AM.
Old April 18th, 2012, 05:39 AM

Given the "Holiday" on the fenders and the evidence you cite, I would say that it wasn't originally a convertible. Convertibles had stiffer frames to make up for the lack of support from a solid roof, so unless this car's frame was stiffened when the top was removed, the car could have issues when it comes to handling and stability.

I don't think the VIN would help much as back in those days the VIN didn't indicate body style. But you're right that, if it was originally a convertible, there shouldn't be evidence of the convertible top having been added after the fact, and it appears you've seen some.

This all explains the unexpectedly low asking price. It's not so unexpected now that you know what you know.
Old April 18th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Couple More Comments:

It appears to be an '88 wheelbase - has an 88 trunk handle, but that center trunk chrome is 98 only, but the lift handle isn't 98. Also has 98 tail light lenses.

The power windows isn't a deal breaker, as they were not standard on Super 88's and I'm positive there were plenty of convertibles with manual windows.

Again, the "holiday" was only there on the 4 door hardtops and the 98 coupes. 98 Convertibles would have said "Starfire" and 88 Convertibles would have the "88" round medalion.

If it is a "converted-ble", and the car is in as good of condition as you say, it's probably worth 15-18k, even as a fake - as long as you know it going into it...I'm saying this assuming that the interior fit and finish around the top / boot well area is presentable - Best way to tell is looking at the body type number on the cowl tag on the passenger side cowl (only visible with hood - er...bonnet - raised).

Still a sharp looking car
Old April 18th, 2012, 08:27 AM

Crank windows are common, got them on my car. If I had my car at home I could measure from the upper trunk lid to the chrome strip that has the hold down snaps for the boot, this is different on a convertible than a hardtop because of the room needed for the top when it is stored this would be a dead giveaway if it were faked.The car has definitely been well patched together from a bunch of parts but I'm not sure as yet that it didn't start out as a convertible.There isn't anything that has been changed that can't be put back correct that I see so far and in the fifties Old's put a x frame on all their cars convertibles and hardtops so you can't go by the frame ......Just my random thoughts....Tedd
Old April 18th, 2012, 09:43 AM

May be too late, but I'm going to Carlisle next Friday and there was a 55 vert body for sale the past two trips.. If it's there I'll get some pics of the top well area etc.

The gold accents under the hood looks like someone got a little too excited when they received one of these things
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1954-195...item1e696134e0

Last edited by Russ P in MD; April 18th, 2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old April 18th, 2012, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Russ P in MD
May be too late, but I'm going to Carlisle next Friday and there was a 55 vert body for sale the past two trips.. If it's there I'll get some pics of the top well area etc.

The gold accents under the hood looks like someone got a little too excited when they received one of these things
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1954-195...item1e696134e0
Looks like to me it may have been a can of gold spray paint that changed the trim color, I think I can see what is left of the gold on the radiator cap. ...Tedd
Old April 18th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

With the Holiday on the front and the 98 trim on the back, I am guessing this is a car somebody has pieced together. It has 54 skirts on it too.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Given the "Holiday" on the fenders and the evidence you cite, I would say that it wasn't originally a convertible. Convertibles had stiffer frames to make up for the lack of support from a solid roof, so unless this car's frame was stiffened when the top was removed, the car could have issues when it comes to handling and stability.

I don't think the VIN would help much as back in those days the VIN didn't indicate body style. But you're right that, if it was originally a convertible, there shouldn't be evidence of the convertible top having been added after the fact, and it appears you've seen some.

This all explains the unexpectedly low asking price. It's not so unexpected now that you know what you know.

We're still talking about a 1955 Oldsmobile right?

Good spot on the rear skirts being 54, the 55 ones are tear-drop shaped. I can't see why anyone would chop them out, so it would have to be '54 fenders put on, which I guess means it could even not be an Oldsmobile underneath! Or, more likely, it might be a '54 updated with a '55 front and side trim. So that I have to figure out is it a genuine '54 convertible?

Tedd, can you tell me exactly where the roof switch is in your car (there aren't manual tops are there)? I couldn't find a siwtch anywhere which is what really got my 'chop-top bells' ringing. My '59 Caddy drophead has a hood switch the same as the window switches; I was expecting to find something like that.

I'm still sort of umming and ahhing about it. I think I probably only want it if I can be sure it was a factory convertible of whatever it is underneath. It IS in top condition though. Interior is like new; it's definately been restored. The interior looks all correct; has the correct Olds dash/guages etc. from the Google images I'm getting. If it WERE real, maybe something fell on it and destroyed the hood frame and front fenders etc. There's no suggestion around the sides of the enginebay that it's had a serious hit and the bodywork is shockwave free.

It occured to me that the rear quarter windows might be a good indicator. They appear very triangular and are not '55. They are closer to '54, but still don't look quite right. This is the best photo of a '54 I could find with the hood up; but no windows. The rear looks a lot more triangular though.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:49 AM

The best way to tell if this car was born a convertible is to check the cowl tag (not the ven) this is located under the hood on the front of the cowl adjacent to the left hood hinge.

#1 should show body and style number this should read something like DCR 3667 DTX if a convertible and DHC 3637 D if a coupe

The top switch is located under the dash and right of the air vent control ****, looks like another pull push ****. This is a one bolt on affair and can be removed or added as needed.for cars on a assemble line, this could have been eliminated if someone was planing on a manual top only function, but it left the factory with one if in fact it's a convertible. The switching of the skirts could be just that 54 skirts look different but fit in the same curve as 55 skirts. Frames are the same on coupes and convertibles so no safety factors at play here.

From the pictures I can't see anything wrong with the top frames ( you call hood) could be a language thing and I'm not understanding what you are referring to,If you could explain further that would help.. Hope this gets you closer to a decision....Tedd
Old August 14th, 2013, 03:58 AM

Recently purchased car in question...

Hello All,

I've recently purchased the car in question & can tell you I'm very happy with it!
It was originally a "Holiday" coupe when new & has been convertible'd using a genuine roof / mechanism etc. (quite a good job)
It is in very good shape & I can't find any rust in it so far (I've pawed all over it)
A few things needing some attention but mostly just TLC and chipping away at it.
Took her out on Sunday for a drive & she went quite well...

I'm enjoying learning a bit about Oldsmobiles via this great forum too...

Cheers Macka.

Melbourne, Australia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20130811_170107 (340x215).jpg (94.8 KB, 63 views)
Old September 11th, 2013, 09:32 PM

Nice find! Congrats!