Tri-5 Olds parts interchange

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2008, 07:17 PM

Tri-5 Olds parts interchange

I've got a '56 Olds 88 coupe. I'm new to Olds and want to know:

1) What references are out there to tell me what Pontiac/Chevy/Buick parts from 1956 will interchange with my 1956 Olds 88.

It looks like windows/windshields will swap. I'm assuming some other parts will as well.

2) Any place to go for 324 Rocket upgrade/rebuild/performance parts?

3) Where are the ID tags and data plates on these cars? All I see on mine is the VIN tag in the driver's front door jamb.

4) What upgrades do people do to the front/rear suspensions? Brakes?

5) Thought about swapping my engine/trans (324/auto) for a modern fuel injected ZZ4 and 700R4 or something...any sites articles for this?

6) Anyone ever airbagged their '56?

7) Who repairs/restores instrument clusters?

8) Where do you go for A/C parts? My car has the original rear mounted A/C unit and 2 clear plastic vent hoses going up through the rear package shelf. It's pretty cool...never seen that before.

Thanks a million!

Rat Rocket
Old December 17th, 2008, 08:29 PM

5) Thought about swapping my engine/trans (324/auto) for a modern fuel injected ZZ4 and 700R4 or something...any sites articles for this?
Rat Rocket [/quote]

why not a 455
Old December 17th, 2008, 08:29 PM

Buy a Flat Rate manual. Either '56 '57 '58. These Flat Rate books go a couple years back. This is a great tool for part numbers and what interchanges with other divisions. Try Egge or Terrill Machine for new parts for the 324. Hop up performance parts are usually on Ebay - alot of milti - carb intakes can be found easily. And a '56 with clear plastic tubes by the package tray? Never seen that before. I'm not going to entertain your modern fuel injected question
Old December 17th, 2008, 09:04 PM

Ratrocket
I have a 56 Ninety Eight
There should be a data plate on the top of the firewall, passenger side that will give you your style, body, trim numbers etc.
The engine number is on the top left hand cylinder block between the front and center exhaust manifold ports.
The tranny numbers should be: Hydra-matic model - lower left rear corner of the transmission case or Jetaway Hydramatic model - left side of the case to the rear of the throttle and manual levers
Old December 18th, 2008, 12:32 AM

"Tri 5" is a Chev term that is used to identify a group of "belly button" cars. It does not apply to Oldsmobiles.

Originally Posted by ratrocket
........ It looks like windows/windshields will swap ........
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-question.html

Norm

Last edited by 88 coupe; December 18th, 2008 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Added the "belly button" comment.
Old December 18th, 2008, 12:49 PM
2 '66 98's

That early A/C system with the rear clear plastic tubes is "cool". It is very unusual on an Olds, most commonly seen in Caddies. Vintage Auto Air might be able to help with some parts. Bruce

Last edited by bigoldscruiser; December 18th, 2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old December 18th, 2008, 01:04 PM

I didn't know that, I only remember the plastic a/c tubes coming from the package tray on Cataracts.
Old December 18th, 2008, 03:01 PM

1954 - 1956 Buick glass will interchange with your Olds, but only from the small-body Special and Century series cars. Buick Super and Roadmaster, Chevrolet, and Pontiac glass will not interchange with the Olds.

Each GM Division had many unique chassis and mechanical components during this era, so there is actually little that interchanges from one GM brand to another.
Old December 18th, 2008, 05:39 PM

Oldsmobile and Buick did share more parts than just glass. 55-56 Olds and Buicks(Century & Special) had the same doors, trunklids, roofs, seats, windshield wiper motor, and probably more. There is a book called the 1950-65 General Motors Interchange manual, that shows a lot of the different items that will interchange in these cars.
Mike
Old December 18th, 2008, 06:10 PM

Exclamation Duh already...

Hey 88coupe, if you read my post, it says "Tri-5 Olds parts interchange" which means interchanging between Tri-5 cars and Olds cars.

But thanks a million for clearing the fog on "Tri-5", I always thought it stood for Toyotas or BMWs or something....

I know what a Tri-5 is...my 5 year old knows. In the future, try posting helpful, meaningful and informative messages. Going around correcting people (because you obviously didn't READ the title) is a waste of time.

This brand-bashing mentality is immature and if you haven't noticed lately (especially in your state) the representatives of our great nation are slowly but surely "destroying" our hobby. You would do well to encourage people to buy and build ANY FREAKIN' old American Detroit car...from Ford to Chevy to Hudson to Kaiser to Packard to Olds to Caddies.

None of us should ever forget that no matter what kind of Detroit machine rolls up at the next cruise in...it's days could be numbered. I welcome any rodder or muscle car guy...we all need to stick together and build the hobby, not form little cliques and crap. I've built some nice Fords over the years, owned a Trans Am, Mustang, Charger and my dad raised me on 396 Chevelles and 340 Cudas...get over yourself!
Old December 18th, 2008, 06:11 PM

Thanks Bruce! I'm learning a lot here, appreciate the info!
Old December 18th, 2008, 06:13 PM

Hey 56oldsnub...thanks a bunch. I'll check it out next light. Appreciate the help. I've got a lot to learn on these cars. I know Fords really well, having built several Mustangs over the years and been around some nice shoebox cars and '57 2-door wagons. It's fun learning about the other brands.
Old December 18th, 2008, 06:14 PM

Hey 59-59-59, thanks a million!
Old December 18th, 2008, 06:29 PM

'56 88 with A/C car pics

I'm a new member and new to Olds. Here's my project car...a few pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
56 side view.jpg (69.4 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg
56 AC.jpg (73.5 KB, 45 views)
Old December 18th, 2008, 07:33 PM

........ which means interchanging between Tri-5 cars and Olds cars ........
Thank you for clarifying your question.

Since the '55-'57 Chevs are "A" bodies, and '54-'56 Olds are "B" and "C" bodies, there is little, if anything, that will interchange.

........ brand-bashing mentality is immature ........
Yes, it is.

Norm
Old December 18th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Welcome ratrocket. Obviously Norm has given you his usual welcome but I can't see it because he is on my ignore list. Actually he is the only one on it. I suggest you do the same. I did like your response. You will find that most guys here like to keep Oldsmobiles all Olds. The 455 would be a great engine for your car and one of the guys on here (citcap) just did the conversion on his 57. This is a great website and some great guys on here that will help you a lot. Welcome.
Old December 19th, 2008, 07:43 AM

Welcome ratrocket...looks like you've got a solid start
I recently started retoring my 98..good times
Old December 19th, 2008, 09:00 AM

Welcome ratrocked. If you look in the big block forum you will find 455 enngine swap by citcapp. In that thread is a complete breakdown of my engine swap of a 455 into my 1957 Super 88 which is very similar to you 56. Good luck with your build.

PS the 57 is very fast. See the engine build sheet as well

Pat
57 Super88 with 455
48 2dr fastback with 455
Old December 19th, 2008, 07:25 PM

Thumbs up Thanks guys!

To: 56oldsnub, redoldsman, 88coupe, okie88, centurion, citcapp!

Appreciate the warm welcome and advice and info. I can't wait to get started...going to check out the 455 thing...that sounds cool, especially since my build will have the car looking pretty tame...that's the fun!
Old November 2nd, 2011, 05:33 AM

Ra...ra........

Hey 88coupe, if you read my post, it says "Tri-5 Olds parts interchange" which means interchanging between Tri-5 cars and Olds cars.

But thanks a million for clearing the fog on "Tri-5", I always thought it stood for Toyotas or BMWs or something....

I know what a Tri-5 is...my 5 year old knows. In the future, try posting helpful, meaningful and informative messages. Going around correcting people (because you obviously didn't READ the title) is a waste of time.

This brand-bashing mentality is immature and if you haven't noticed lately (especially in your state) the representatives of our great nation are slowly but surely "destroying" our hobby. You would do well to encourage people to buy and build ANY FREAKIN' old American Detroit car...from Ford to Chevy to Hudson to Kaiser to Packard to Olds to Caddies.

None of us should ever forget that no matter what kind of Detroit machine rolls up at the next cruise in...it's days could be numbered. I welcome any rodder or muscle car guy...we all need to stick together and build the hobby, not form little cliques and crap. I've built some nice Fords over the years, owned a Trans Am, Mustang, Charger and my dad raised me on 396 Chevelles and 340 Cudas...get over yourself!
Old November 2nd, 2011, 05:36 AM

Eddie,

Look at the date of this thread. Last post before yours is is December of 2008. The person you are responding to has passed away.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 05:41 AM

Ratrocket,

You sure went off on that dude. Honestly I did not see that he was trying to call you stupid or anything negative, yet you laid into him with a fury. Bad call man. If you look around these sites about the Olds from that era it is a common thought from people who are just getting into them that they will interchange many parts with the tri-5's. You pointed out that you believed the glass would interchange and he simply pointed out that nothing interchanged. That was your question anyway wasn't it: according to your title? You wished to know what interchanged between the tri-5's and the Olds 88's. If you were an old hat at it you would not have even asked that question. I think he was just trying to give you your answer so you wouldn't waste your time looking. He may have had a lot to offer you in the way of knowledge and help, but I doubt you will ever have access to it now. Then again, maybe he was being a jerk....it just didn't sound like it to me.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 05:43 AM

Oh,

He really passed away? Or is he just not on here anymore? I used to be on here quite a while back, but got hacked and changed all of my usernames and passwords. So I figured he was still around.

Anyway: kudos on the lightning speed response.
Old June 26th, 2016, 08:20 AM

Hi guys, I know this is a old thread, I'm looking for a link to citcapp thread on the 455 in the 57, love to read up on that set up.

Thanks.
Old June 26th, 2016, 09:06 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I would suggest clicking on his name and sending him a private message. He has 9090 posts so you would be looking through them for a while. I remember it and it has been several years ago.