Swap factory air from 63 dynamic to super???

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2015, 08:40 AM

Swap factory air from 63 dynamic to super???

Need some bumpers for my 63' super and Desert Valley is out. Found a Dynamic about 2 hours away. Thinking about buying it for the bumpers, but it has factory air and my super doesn't. What are the chances of pulling the a/c out of the Dynamic and putting it in the Super?

Now Desert Valley wants $800 each for the front and rear bumpers if they have them. My wife will let me sleep in this dynamic if I buy it, so I will need to pass it along asap.

Anybody looking for a 63 Dynamic without air and with some rusted out bumpers?

Other options for bumpers?
Old March 31st, 2015, 08:52 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by pbob42
My wife will let me sleep in this dynamic if I buy it...
Those cars are pretty comfortable, especially with A/C.

I wouldn't foresee any major problems with an A/C swap - you may need to modify some sheet metal and of course swap dashboards.
It is MUCH wiser to do it with a complete parts car right there, as you can see how the parts go together, and you can be sure to get all of the "little parts" that you might have missed or not thought about.

I don't have any bumper suggestions.

- Eric
Old March 31st, 2015, 09:00 AM
Oldsdruid

If you get all the components and don't mind reworking the firewall, it will bolt right in. Super & Dynamic (and for this job Ninety Eight) are the same car except for trim level. That means all the A/C interior parts, plenums and ducting, brackets, everything.

An alternative is to install a period hang-on unit. Those were way more common and efficient than in-dash factory systems back then anyway.

Get the Dynamic, salvage all you can from it and then call the yard to come get the carcass.

Alternately, tell the wife she can buy you the DVAP bumpers and then she won't have to see the Dynamic parts car.

There are advantages to being single and having some acreage off the main highway!

Last edited by rocketraider; March 31st, 2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old March 31st, 2015, 09:01 AM

comfy but lonely
Old March 31st, 2015, 09:02 AM
Oldsdruid

He won't have to swap dashboards. The openings for the vents are already in the dash substructure; he'll just have to use the end trim pieces and center vent from the A/C car.
Old March 31st, 2015, 09:32 AM
Phantom Phixer

Bumpers are the same between Super 88 and Dynamic.

You don't need to swap complete dashboards, just the panels where the ducts are.
You will need to cut a hole in the firewall for the evaporator.

What is your location? I may be interested other parts once you are done with it.
Old March 31st, 2015, 09:45 AM

Factory air was still a fairly rare option in 63 especially on the lower end models, one of the reasons I bought my Starfire was that it had it. The tricky part is making sure your parts car has ALL the system pieces and that they are in good shape. The vacuum control system is complicated and trouble prone and there are a number of fragile plastic parts. You will most likely have to replace all the hoses and rebuild the compressor plus other mods if you convert to R-134. Still nice to have, I'd do it...
Old April 2nd, 2015, 05:12 PM

where u live i'm interested in the dynamic I am in pa
Old April 2nd, 2015, 05:31 PM

You would of spent less energy if you just clicked on the 'buy it now' button for a 1963 Oldsmobile full size front bumper auction on eBay. All for 80 bucks