problems with lock-up torque converter and o2 sensor 84 delta

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2010, 08:04 AM

problems with lock-up torque converter and o2 sensor 84 delta

1984 olds delta 88 brougham 307 vin Y, thm200c transmission
i went down a road that was completely flooded it was up to my doors, i was going slow through it but it seems water got everywhere under the hood anyway the black fire proof mat on the hood was soaked all over, and since then the oxygen sensor threw a code and my 02 sensor gauge is reading mostly lean when before it used to read near rich, i unplugged the battery to clear the codes and let it dry but since then my lock up converter isnt engaging when i go over 35mph, the oxygen sensor is somewhat coming back to life but i need to know how i would go about diagnosing the lock up converter, like is there a way i can test it or make it engage manually to check it out, maybe the wires for the trans or lock up converter shorted out when i went through the water? i dont know at this point and need some help from the experts
Old April 2nd, 2010, 10:13 AM

First make sure the plug at the tranny is okay. Unplug it, clean the contacts as best you can, and reinstall it.
There is a TCC termal in the ALDL connector inside the car under the dash where you can monitor the voltage to the TCC. Hook a volt meter to it and drive. It should change when the TCC is to be engaged.

Hopefully the experts will be able tell if maybe water got inside the tranny. There may be a case vent somewhere.
In fact there is a vent on top of the differential which hopefully stayed above the surface.

Below is the manual's testing of the TCC...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0288.jpg (50.5 KB, 70 views)
IMG_0289.jpg (52.7 KB, 70 views)
Old April 2nd, 2010, 10:34 AM

i hooked a volt meter to the tcc connector and ground and it read 14 volts all the time when driving but when i pushed the brake in it changed to 0.30 and 0.28 volts the lock up converter wont engage. is there a way i can manually override it temporarily?
Old April 2nd, 2010, 10:57 AM

I just posted some pictures from the manual above for ya.

First I assume the gages fuse is working. With key in IGN state, check for 12V at slot A of the tranny connector.
Next connect a voltmeter from pin F of the ASDL connector in the car (under dash somewhere) to ground. 12-14V would mean the computer is not signalling TCC lockup or the solenoid coil is open.
When driving, if the voltage drops to near 0, then the solenoid is getting voltage. Of course the solenoid could be sticking like they are known well to do.

To manually bypass, connect 12V at the tranny (with computer plug pulled!) from slot D to A (with a 3A fuse inline). Try when driving over 40 and RPMs should drop.

Before doing that, measure ohms across D and A to verify TCC coil is good. Open means to replace.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 11:03 AM

what book did you get this from this is very good information that my haynes manual doesnt have
Old April 2nd, 2010, 12:16 PM

ok i set my voltmeter to ohms and checked the a and d pin on the transmission and it seems its good, and when i was test driving around the block eariler i hooked up a test light to the a and f terminals on the adld terminal and with the test light lit the lock up converter was working but was locking up to early i tried connecting it while driving but it doesnt engage, if the car is stationary and jump a to f the lock up will engage but to early, could it be a computer problem, not signaling the tcc, or could it be my tcc going bad
Old April 2nd, 2010, 02:02 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 84oldsDelta88
what book did you get this from this is very good information that my haynes manual doesnt have
Throw away the Haynes manual and get yourself the factory manuals. For 1984 there was a Chassis Service Manual, an Electrical Troubleshooting Manual, and a Fisher Body Manual. These show up on ebay regularly at very reasonable prices. You need the first two as a minimum.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 08:20 PM

Here is the second chart i forgot. If you need the big ones emailed, let me know.
These came from the 86 chassis manual, but the TCC circuit should be the same.

It kinda sounds like the computer is not signaling the TCC to engage.

What kind of test light are you using? If too high a wattage of bulb, the light can possibly cause the TCC to activate. Use a volt meter instead where light on would be 12V and light off would be close to 0.

Shorting from F to A with a handheld switch can turn on and off the TCC manually. If the TCC works that way, it is a computer control issue.
Attached Images
IMG_0291.jpg (64.6 KB, 49 views)