parts i can use from other gm cars

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2014, 08:15 PM

parts i can use from other gm cars

Im gonna try and learn from others experience. I have a 63 dynamic 88. As we know parts for these arent too plentiful or are they? Already figured out outside door handles from an impala are the same. But looking for odds and ends . Here is my list if anyone knows the secret please share what cars these are compatable with if any. Or if you know where i could get these please tell.
rubber body mounts
rear footwells and left bodymount floor panel part under seat.
body support gussets
emergency brake parts
speedometer cable
brake and fuel tubing and wiring mounting clips
battery tray
thank you for your help.
Old March 5th, 2014, 09:49 PM
Phantom Phixer

parts interchangeability

I also have a 63 Dynamic 88 I'm restoring.
I have found a lot of smaller body items such as door handles, trim, rubber, and even glass will interchange between Chevy, Pontiac, Buick, and Oldsmobile.
Some of the rubber body mounts are the same. And the resto catalogs often show sizes and dimensions of these mounts. Making it easy to match up.
The floor pan sheetmetal is pretty much the same as Pontiac. But Chevy, not so much.
Some emergency brake items will interchange, especially with Pontiac. When in doubt check the part number if possible. Same part number, same part.
Fullsize 63 to 68 Olds had a speedo that was driven off the front wheel.
That was all by itself, no other make used this system.
Brake and fuel tubing is mostly Olds exclusive, with a few Pontiac interchanges. Some clips may interchange.
And lastly, battery tray. Good luck with this one. This tray is 63-64 Olds only. And I think I may have to have a sheetmetal shop try to duplicate mine .

Last edited by Charlie Jones; March 5th, 2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old March 6th, 2014, 03:26 AM

which pontiac model do the floorpans and cables fit? read about your car,lucky you. n rust. rust is a norm here in pa. another fun thing for these find trim pices. as for the batt box i think i may fake it with a plate and a plastic tray liner. will look god but probably anly me cause its not original. thanks very much for the help allan
Old March 6th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Phantom Phixer

The "B" body cars, to include Ventura and Catalina are what you are looking for. 1963 and 1964 are pretty much the same as to floorpans. Bonneville and Star Chief have a longer wheelbase and a larger trans hump.
I noticed a four door holiday hardtop in your avitar. I assume this is the car we are talking about.
As far as the greenhouse (the area where the roof and glass are)The parts are pretty much the same on all "B" body 4 door hardtops. This would include Impala, Catalina, 88, LeSabre and Wildcat. Four door "post" sedans (Celebrity Sedan) are not the same.
63 and 64 are pretty much the same.
Old March 7th, 2014, 07:06 AM

The monthly Parts and Accessories Price Schedule showed interchanges for each part number, and its group number. Use the parts catalog to look up the parts.
Old March 22nd, 2014, 01:15 PM

The monthly Parts and Accessories Price Schedule showed interchanges for each part number, and its group number. Use the parts catalog to look up the parts.

the what where is that Allan
Old March 22nd, 2014, 08:00 PM
Phantom Phixer

Parts books

The parts book that Rund to Rund refers to is available here:

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...=9980334161483

You will have to join the websight wildaboutcars to view. Registration is free.
Parts books are easy to read if you start at the first page. As the GM parts system and use of the books is explained on the first few pages.
This online catalog was published in 1972 and covers at least the previous 10 years.
As far as a price schedule, good luck finding one. Most, if not all of them were thrown away when they became obsolete.
Most parts catalogs were also thrown away, however a few dealerships saved some old ones because they came in handy for looking up parts for older cars.
There is a way to cross reference GM parts online and that is Partswiki.
Right now Partswiki's data base is primarily Olds and Chevy.

Here is a link to Partswiki:

http://www.gmpartswiki.com/query
If you look up the part number on wildabout cars and then take that part number to Partswiki and do a query of that number. Partswiki will tell you which catalogs (Chev, Olds or Buick) that number appears in. It will take you to the page where the number appears and see what models it fits.

Last edited by Charlie Jones; March 22nd, 2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old September 10th, 2014, 04:33 PM

Great info here. Thank you. I'm a complete newb and am lining up parts sourcing info for the '65 Dynamic 88 I just bought and this was very helpful.