OK how do I patch this?

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2011, 08:30 PM

OK how do I patch this?

So I drive to my mom's house on Friday to change the oil and a few other things which didn't get done because it started to rain, err I mean POUR!!

I go in the hosue when I get there because this little kid that lives around there is a real PIA and he likes to climb around under the car, walk behind the car when your backing up (45* sloped down driveway, a 6 year old, and your back deck going up the hill you get the idea)

So I go in the house to wait him out, and when I come out a few minutes later, there is a nice little puddle of anti-freeze under the car around the area of the lower hose. So I'm looking at the hose and it's dry, but I notice a port up higher, which is capped but a rubber thing, is leaking becasue the cap is cracked.

The 1985 Delta I have looks like it's got an 86-90 Delta 88 Rad in it. The rad is smaller and has all the correct hose and tranny line points, including the "low coolant" sensor probe. The problem is this cap.

I don't want to replace the rad right now. I know it's going to crack sooner or later and will HAVE to be replaced. But it will do for now.

So what do I do about this cap thing? Put some RTV or silcone over the cracked part? Replace the car, but with what? I looked up the tube size and it's .63 inches which is about 5/8 inch. A vacuum cap probably wouldn't work because of the thinness of it. Home Depot? The rubber foot of a stool?

I know it's a weird one, but what do I do to hold up to the 15 psi of the cooling system? The Alero is parked for a few days becasue it keeps blowing out exhaust gaskets due to a stripped header bolt. Gotta call the mech about doing a heli-coil, but I personally will not be able to get the car there for about a week. I'm stuck on day shift this week
Old August 21st, 2011, 08:49 PM

Well... it would be ugly. But you could cut a short piece of hose and attach it to the port. Then thread a bolt in the other end and clamp it down with a worm drive clamp. That might hold. I've had a couple of these radiators but don't think I've got any of the caps laying around. Good Luck! John
Old August 21st, 2011, 10:38 PM

Try these. They are coolant bypass caps and should work just fine.

http://oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail...&keyword=02252
Old August 22nd, 2011, 10:05 AM

Thanks for the tip guys! I never seen anything like this before