My 88 Project Update

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2009, 03:03 PM

My 88 Project Update

OK , It,s been a few months now ,
Been out working on My 66 Dynamic 88 as much as I can , allowing for Weather , Work , an Time

Saturday , I eventually got my Lokar Gas Pedal modification sorted out
I HATED the Linkage thing , and anyway after I swapped the Intake to the Torker 455 , an Added the AFB 4bbl ,It needed a nice Cable Throttle set up
Anyway I dagress ,
I had an Issue with not getting full WOT , The pedal was hitting the carpet , an only allowing 1/3 of the Secondary to open.

Last weekend was Brakes
Found my Problem , Leaking Front Passenger wheel cylinder
Just Honed the old one an used a rebuilt kit , until money allows all new ones
Now I have Brakes again , lol

After doing the Gas Pedal , I took her out for a short drive
All I can Say is

OH MY GOD!!!!!!
A 425 , with a Torker Intake , an an AFB 4 bbl will scare the Crap outta me , lol

Seriously
The Car is going Great , has Tons of Torque , an Glides along like an Ocean Liner .
I,m very pleased with the Engine Mods , and I,m glad I went ahead an Unlocked the Hidden power ,
It came with a 2 bbl , an Stock Intake

Added a few more Pictures Off My Big Baby , if anyone feels like looking

http://www.deep-south.org/photogalle...0Update/album/

Now it,s on to The Rest off my list off TO DO,s ....
Old March 9th, 2009, 05:39 PM

Nice Olds. Glad you happy with the 455 mods. Yes the it will press you into the seat. Great fun. Keep up the good work
Old March 10th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Past Administrator

Waaaaaaaa! I can't see the pictures, waaaaaaa.

Glad to hear you got your car running already. I am still waiting until the last frost is over with before I unwrap my '46.
Old March 10th, 2009, 09:04 AM

when the site comes up , click on the title in the top left corner
Old March 10th, 2009, 07:13 PM

Looks good!!! where did you find that dual snorkel filter housing?
Old March 11th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Registered Luser

Very cool sleeper!
Old March 11th, 2009, 02:55 PM

Thank You for your comments

I got the Air Cleaner off Ebay , it,s supposed to be a Corvette Breather from the 70,s ,
I took it down to Bare metal , primed an painted it with "Cheery Red" rattle can (did about 3 coats ,
The Decal , was another Ebay Item , a buddy cut it in 2 pieces , an applied it with soapy water trick
I think the Chrome Top was got through Summit, 15 1/2 inch

Think I paid $75 bucks for the Corvette Breather, $15 or so , for the Decal , an about $24 for the Chrome Top
I was really pleased with the way it turned out , and the fact that the Air Motors Function well, hooked up to the Vac on the AFB 4 bbl , lol
which was again , an Ebay item , as was the Torker Intake

If I remember right , the Torker came with the AFB in the auction as a package Deal , It was about $250 bucks all in , even shipping , I just Couldent resist it

Since I sorted the Gas Pedal Issue , an Driven the Car a few Days , being able to (NOT That I ever would , you Understand ) get Full WOT
I,m Totally Convinced it was Money well spent.

A few people did say a Performer would have been a better Intake Choice , an I see why , but the Engine has so much low down grunt , The Torker seems very happy

I can only take some off the credit for the work , a great Buddie of mine , a REAL Mopar Man , Helped in the whole thing , advising , Fabricating stuff , altering the Bracketry to fit , an just generally encouraging me .

Tons of stuff in the Planning stages , still To Do , but it,s a Joy to work on the Car , it,s my way off relaxing an strees relief from Work .

I,m Planning a Web Site at the Min , with the Whole History off this particular Car , from the Day it was Bought new , in 66 .
She was bought in 66 New , and have arranged to meet the Origional Owner , get some Pictures of him with the Car , and see if he has any off the origional Paperwork , or stuff still in his possesion .
He,s quite an old man now , and after he sold it to my wifes uncle in 84 , then it was passed on to wife uncles son, only for about 2 years , then I bought it , about 6 months ago.

I cant Thank you guys on the Forum enough , for all the Great Help , you all have provided , It,s made working on My 88 an Joy

As far as I,m concearned , The Car will be with me for the rest off My Life ,
I dont think I could be tempted to sell it, I,ve been asked a good 50 times now in 4 months of driveing it

I,ll just keep working , Modding , an Havin Fun with My Big Pary Bardge ,
I,ll keep posting every now an then with progress.

PS . If anyone is interested, I posted a quick Video on You Tube off the Car Starting and running , with a little Rev or Two , he he

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfsIq...e=channel_page

Oh yeah I forgot , The CAT dident like it, watch her reaction

Last edited by Satellitecentral; March 11th, 2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old March 25th, 2009, 02:05 PM

which carb?

Saw the video, runs nice! What size/model carb did you use? Been looking for a stock Rochester 4bbl replacement for my 2bbl but hey are rare and cost $$$. Should leave them to the 442 restorers, anyway. Thought I would then rebuild the stock 2bbl yet again, but since I am going to true duals with the Thornton manifold I want to go for a 4bbl again.
Old March 25th, 2009, 05:00 PM

It,s just an AFB 4 bbl off ebay , think i hit well here , it worked first time the Car was fired up , an still hasent been tweaked at all
I believe it,s a 750 cfm .
I,m told , the AFB/Carter/Edelbrock are all exactly the same Carb anyway ?

One more thing
I wired up my Switch Pitch Trans to see f it actually worked , and It DOES .
Wired it to a switch in my home made consol, and had a bit off a Play , works great , Hi Stall, Low Stall on command
Old March 26th, 2009, 08:02 AM

Hmmmm, another 4-door Lover! I have a couple 4-door cars, I call them my "money-pits." I seem to get a little carried away sometimes with my cars. I've always liked the 1966 B/C-bodies. My next project if I live long enough and have the money will be a 1966 Dynamic convertible I have "buried" in one of my buildings. I have two 1966 Delta 4-door parts cars. I always have at lest two parts cars for every "good" car I have because I "worry" about not having a part when I need it.. Here is a pic of my Turquious 67 Olds 98. I made the air cleaner from two stock air cleaners but changed the base to fit a Holley carb. It also has true dual exhaust with a torque tube, Toro exhaust manifolds "customized." Also it has a one of one goose neck spacer tapped for a cooling hose to the the rear of the intake. Good luck, Ken Timmeplus6798016.jpg toroexhaustandshifter002-1.jpg 3-14-2007-42.jpg
Old March 27th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Registered Luser

Kennybill, a guy who races 4 doors and likes Clint Eastwood, kind of guy I could hang with!...love the pick of the boat with the bow in the air If you are going to the Nats and are bringing the '98 let me know, I'd love to see that thing!