Idling rough?

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2007, 09:34 PM

Idling rough?

Well,I DID IT!I finally put everything back together which included cleaned out tank, new fuel line, relocated electrical fuel pump,and newly rebuilt carb.After all that not only does my whole brand new house stink like gas but she starts but does not drive well.She was idling good,but after warming up and taking it down the road at 2mph with the pedal all the way down she was shooting black smoke all up in my neighborhood.I know it prably means really rich fuel but where should i start?idle mix screws,throttle linkage,thermostatic choke?When i got the car the choke linkage was off with the top choke always open,can i just leave it like that?novice
Old October 29th, 2007, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by novice57
Well,I DID IT!I finally put everything back together which included cleaned out tank, new fuel line, relocated electrical fuel pump,and newly rebuilt carb.After all that not only does my whole brand new house stink like gas but she starts but does not drive well.She was idling good,but after warming up and taking it down the road at 2mph with the pedal all the way down she was shooting black smoke all up in my neighborhood.I know it prably means really rich fuel but where should i start?idle mix screws,throttle linkage,thermostatic choke?When i got the car the choke linkage was off with the top choke always open,can i just leave it like that?novice
I'd suggest it is the choke butterfly not going open, especially if at starting it, it idles fine. Black smoke is way too rich fuel mixture. You can remove the choke, but I'd suggest (you should have had some fairly detailed instructions in the carb kit) fix it correctly, it is difficult to start a could engine without a choke.

There also besides mechanical rod measurements for the fast idle, and choke, setting for the thermostatic pulloff. Best way to troubleshoot your problem is to duplicate starting, driving (if still won't run properly, then removed the air cleaner to see if the butterfly is closed.

I just did a Rochester 2GC (first one in about 30 years), and had to "work" with adjustments.
Old October 30th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Past Administrator

What kind of electric pump and what pressure? If it is a modern pump designed for fuel injection systems it MIGHT be delivering too much pressure and overfilling your float bowl. Depending upon the carburetor rebuild and type this might have some impact on your problem.

I guess I should have checked your previous posts to see what model car and engine you were talking about, but we'll let it ride. Disregard this if I am blowing smoke.....