How much info goes thru the PCM?

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2012 | 02:28 PM

How much info goes thru the PCM?

On my 1985 Delta 88, after I do the swap, this is what will remain stock in the car.

Oil sending unit warning light
A/C
Heat (pretty sure it's vacuum controled)
Defroster
Engine temp warning light

If I yank the PCM out, will this stuff still work?

There are other things, but electrically speaking, this is all I can think of off the top of my head. Carb and Distrubtor will not be stock. Looking at the Summit brand carb and a distrubtor will stock for a late 70's Olds.

I know the tranny will have issues, but I'm going install some kind of vacuum modulator or internal switch. I'm going to have the tranny build for my 330. It will be a 200R4
Old August 23rd, 2012 | 02:35 PM
CQR

None of the items listed are affected by the PCM removal.
Old August 23rd, 2012 | 03:55 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by CQR
None of the items listed are affected by the PCM removal.
That's not quite correct. Sometime in the 1985-86 timeframe, Olds implemented the A/C compressor cutout at W.O.T. using the TPS and the ECU (this is a very dumb computer - it's a stretch to call it a powertrain control module). Prior cars used a switch on the accelerator similar to the TH400 kickdown switch. Simply look at the accelerator pedal - if there's a switch you're good to go. If not, you need to do some minor rewiring to retain the A/C.

Idiot light/gauge sensors are completely independent of the ECU on the 307 cars. All the ECU really controls are the mixture control solenoid, distributor advance curve, idle speed, converter lockup, A/C compressor clutch (as noted above), and emissions components like EGR, EFE, and A.I.R.
Old August 23rd, 2012 | 08:19 PM

I thought the AC went thru the computer, wasn't sure.

What rewiring would I have to do?

I'm just used to calling it a PCM. My "Check Engine" light is on. I fixed that by removing the bulb
Old August 24th, 2012 | 06:22 AM
CQR

[QUOTE=Redog;444363]

Originally Posted by Redog
I thought the AC went thru the computer, wasn't sure.

What rewiring would I have to do?

I'm just used to calling it a PCM. My "Check Engine" light is on. I fixed that by removing the bulb
Good catch Joe.

According to the diagrams, If its a vin 9 motor(not likely as that should only be G body) then no mods are necessary as that uses a normally closed relay. If it is the Vin Y then you can simply connect wires in cavity B and D together in the a/c control relay connector. (Dark Green to Light green with black)