How is the best way to raise the bench seat?

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2010, 06:34 AM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
Great shot, and your goofy hat would fit right in with to-days crowd...nice paint too- a lady is in your door..photographer??

The LaSalle was painted a real dark Caddy Green.

The "skirt" in the shot did indeed shoot the pix. I was spending the summer working in Miami and it was "Shangra La" if you know what I mean. I think she was in love. The pix was taken in South Beach at the art-deco apartment where I was living. The rent was about $15 a week - I was earning $34 a week after taxes. The same apartment has been turned into a hotel and the price is about $150 a night!

The good old days! I spent the summers of 1947 and 48 there. A kids dream vacation!

--Don
Old April 22nd, 2010, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Ddbord

The "skirt" in the shot did indeed shoot the pix. I was spending the summer working in Miami and it was "Shangra La" if you know what I mean. I think she was in love.
That reminds me of the Ronnie Milsap song -
"I wish she loved me the way she loves my car........"

Sounds like you had one heck of a childhood - I am envious....
Old April 22nd, 2010, 01:19 PM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Talking Yet More LaSalle

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
That reminds me of the Ronnie Milsap song -
"I wish she loved me the way she loves my car........"

Sounds like you had one heck of a childhood - I am envious....
__________________________________________________ _______

I didn't intend to start a LaSalle thread here, but, it had a flat-head V-8 of about 4.8 L I think. (I have the specs somewhere, just not in my head).

As you now, LaSalle was the experimental car for Cadillac. The 1938 model was the FIRST car to have the shift lever on the steering column! It was terribly "clunky!" The next year the Caddy had one too. The car was identical, except for trim, as the '38 Caddy.

I had a friend that had a car just like mine except his had side-mounts. I was very jealous! Then... I traded that car for a 1936 LaSalle with a rumble seat. Had a straight six. Great car. Remember that when I had these cars they were only 10 and 12 years old, not like what we're doing!

Rob, you're right.... Those days were just great.

--Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
38 LaSalle_1 (Email).jpg (152.6 KB, 6 views)
Old April 22nd, 2010, 01:32 PM

"LaSalle" is part of the "mystery lyric" in the theme song from the TV show "All in the Family." The title of the song is "Those Were the Days," and there is a line in it goes "gee, our old LaSalle ran great." But when the song was first recorded, Carroll O'Connor and Jean Stapleton glided over the words, and they were never understandable. The best anyone could make out was "gee-are-ola-ess-ell ran great," and no one could ever figure out what a "gee-are-ola" was.

They actually re-recorded the song later in the series to better pronounce the words in that line, and you can hear Jean Stapleton really taking pains to make sure the words are pronounced clearly.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 03:05 PM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Originally Posted by jaunty75
"LaSalle" is part of the "mystery lyric" in the theme song from the TV show "All in the Family." The title of the song is "Those Were the Days," and there is a line in it goes "gee, our old LaSalle ran great." But when the song was first recorded, Carroll O'Connor and Jean Stapleton glided over the words, and they were never understandable. The best anyone could make out was "gee-are-ola-ess-ell ran great," and no one could ever figure out what a "gee-are-ola" was.

They actually re-recorded the song later in the series to better pronounce the words in that line, and you can hear Jean Stapleton really taking pains to make sure the words are pronounced clearly.
I ALWAYS knew what they sang! "Those were the days!"

--Don
Old April 22nd, 2010, 07:03 PM
Registered

My dad had a 30 something La Salle, there's a cool old pic of him with one foot up on the running board, tight T-shirt and baggy pants, leather biker's cap and boots, had an Indian bike too. He said the car body was aluminum or something out of the norm? A Cleveland city bus made a sharp left turn in front of him while he was sitting at a light and ran over the front end , had to junk it and never got a dime.
Those were the days.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 07:48 PM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Originally Posted by Bluevista
My dad had a 30 something La Salle, there's a cool old pic of him with one foot up on the running board, tight T-shirt and baggy pants, leather biker's cap and boots, had an Indian bike too. He said the car body was aluminum or something out of the norm? A Cleveland city bus made a sharp left turn in front of him while he was sitting at a light and ran over the front end , had to junk it and never got a dime.
Those were the days.
__________________________________________________ _

The body was actually made out of very heavy steel. I know that the fenders were about 1/8th thick. A woman ran a stop sign in Cleveland Heights and hit my passenger side front fender and almost totaled a 1949 Mercury! Put a 5" dimple. I used to go down on Carnegie Ave looking to make a few bucks.

FUN DAYS!

--Don

The car was a beast!

Last edited by Ddbord; April 22nd, 2010 at 07:56 PM.