Hood liners

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2011, 08:56 AM

Hood liners

So my hood liner is saggy and a bit chewed up from mice etc.

Do any of you guys run without one and what are your thoughts re noise, paint bake?

Anyone know where I can order up a new one? My car is 67 Olds Delta 88

Thanks
Old August 26th, 2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by BStone
So my hood liner is saggy and a bit chewed up from mice etc.

Do any of you guys run without one and what are your thoughts re noise, paint bake?

Anyone know where I can order up a new one? My car is 67 Olds Delta 88

Thanks
Hey,

Part # HI670 from Fusick. $45 + .75 per fastener clip. I have 2 '76 98's and both have pads from Fusick. They are pretty good. I wouldn't run without one, I would think it would definitely increase the noise level and probably wouldn't do your hood's paint any good either.

Page 9 of their catalog below.

http://fusick.com/catfile/Catalog%20...yout%201_3.pdf
Old August 26th, 2011, 09:45 AM

I don't have one in my '67 Delta and I've been meaning to get one. But I kind of want/need to paint the car first, so I've been putting it off.

But, definitely, yes, I think you would want one as a finishing touch. It isn't so much harm to the paint that you're trying to prevent as it is a more quiet ride that you're trying to obtain.
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the link. Called up Fusick and have one on order. I'll just tack the old one up for now I huess.
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by BStone
Thanks for the link. Called up Fusick and have one on order. I'll just tack the old one up for now I huess.
Glad I could help. Fusick is great and as you thumb through the catalog they'll send with your order, you'll probably find a bunch of stuff for your Olds. They are great and I'm glad their shop is not far from me. They're usually at every Olds Club show in the area and I can always take a ride over there to pick stuff up. Good guys there too.

PS. I would wear a dust mask when you remove the old one. Those things tend to disintegrate when you remove them. God only knows what's in there!
Old August 26th, 2011, 01:00 PM

Took it out of my old Delta, and my Alero. New Delta didn't have one at all.

Never had any ill effects driving without it
Old September 1st, 2011, 01:30 AM

This thread reminded me to call fusick thx! Need a liner for my 85
Old September 1st, 2011, 04:56 AM

Crap fusick only carries up to 1975 any other ideas who to go to?
Old September 1st, 2011, 05:55 AM

I think that your car, being an '85, is in among those "limbo" years where it's too new to be considered collectible but too old to easily find parts anymore at the local auto parts store. It's also doubtful that Oldsmobiles from that era will ever be as well supported in the hobby as the earlier years, as you have found out. Fusick has limited its "big car" catalog to no later than 1975 for many years, even though Oldsmobile produced full-size cars for many years after that, although Fusick does occasionally mention when a part will fit a '76 as that was really the last year of that era of the full-size models.

Having said this, since the hood insulation is nothing more than a sheet of the stuff, is there any chance you could buy one that would fit a '75 and then cut it to fit your car? I'm thinking you may have to end up going this route if you ever want to get insulation for your hood as you may never find an aftermarket supplier making these specifically for your car.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I think that your car, being an '85, is in among those "limbo" years where it's too new to be considered collectible but too old to easily find parts anymore at the local auto parts store. It's also doubtful that Oldsmobiles from that era will ever be as well supported in the hobby as the earlier years, as you have found out. Fusick has limited its "big car" catalog to no later than 1975 for many years, even though Oldsmobile produced full-size cars for many years after that, although Fusick does occasionally mention when a part will fit a '76 as that was really the last year of that era of the full-size models.

Having said this, since the hood insulation is nothing more than a sheet of the stuff, is there any chance you could buy one that would fit a '75 and then cut it to fit your car? I'm thinking you may have to end up going this route if you ever want to get insulation for your hood as you may never find an aftermarket supplier making these specifically for your car.
Good point.........would like to atleast get a pic of a 75 model just to see how much work I would be getting into
Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by DeltaDevil88
Good point.........would like to atleast get a pic of a 75 model just to see how much work I would be getting into
Here's an under-hood photo of my '73 Custom Cruiser, which is the same as a '73 Delta 88 and 98 from the firewall forward. And the Fusick hood insulation pad is the same for all '71-'75 full-size Oldsmobiles.

It's basically just a rectangular piece of insulation with two corners cut off. Should be pretty easy to cut it to fit your car. The hood on your car is certainly not larger than on these cars.

And heck, the pad is only $45. If you buy one and then make a hash of it trying to get it to fit, you haven't exactly spent the family into bankruptcy!