Defroster in a 67 Delta 88

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2011, 06:08 PM

Defroster in a 67 Delta 88

OK....my defrost doesn't seem to blow any heat. A quick inspection shows one disconnected vac line and one blue wire femaile spade dangling on lonesome like.

I know its a long shot but any ideas where they would belong?

Note that the dvr side of the unit does have a double male connector currently unoccupied.

If I will have to remove it can anyone tell me how you go about removing the heater-a/c unit.

Thanks
Old September 3rd, 2011, 04:33 AM

If you don't already have one, now is the time to get a '67 Olds chassis service manual. It would be invaluable for a problem like yours. There are diagrams showing where the vent hoses, vacuum lines, and wiring all go.

These are on ebay all the time for a variety of prices. Here's three I found in less than a minute of searching.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-...item25671b2311

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-...item53e4ab9a59

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-...item3369e8b843
Old September 3rd, 2011, 09:09 AM

Yeah I have the chassis service manual. Of course the PO has done some creative rewiring from what I can tell.

I have a/c so the closest I can find is the TCA on page 1B-43 (fig 1B-85).

From what I can tell the compressor switch wiring is not attached, nor is the panel light for a start. Not sure either of these would affect the defroster.

The "white" water valve line is pinned on engine side of the firewall.

The manual doesn't exactly give much help in pulling the control assembly out (at least that I could find) so any pointers would be great.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 01:29 PM

It sounds like you will have to troubleshoot in a systematic fashion, using the service manual as you go. For instance, there is a nice vacuum hose routing diagram on page 1-6, figure 1-12. According to the manual, pushing the DEF button "operates a vacuum operated diaphragm which opens the defroster door..." You need to make sure his vacuum hose is in place and intact.

I don't know if it's true here, but generally, in cars with air conditioning, turning on the defroster also turns on the A/C in order to remove humidity. So if your compressor switch wiring is not connected, that could be related as well.

A minor thing, for sure, and probably a dumb question, but I don't know what you mean by "TCA." I'm looking at Figure 1B-85, and I don't see anything labeled that way.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 04:56 PM

TCA was me bing lazy - temp control assembly

My set-up is actually more like the pic on 1B-52. There is sunction on at least one of the lines so it seems the problem is dvr side of the firewall.

Not having pulled one of these out before, can you tell me what the steps are to get out the actual control assembly?

This is my first foray behind the dash!

Thanks for the assist
Old September 3rd, 2011, 05:18 PM

I've never actually tried to remove the control assembly, but I have to believe that it will be self-evident once you peer up under there. I have had occasion on my '67 to work under the dash replacing burned out speedometer lamps, replacing the cigarette lighter, and putting in a new radio and front speaker, and the level of complexity under there is about on par with Lincoln logs compared to today's cars. I've peered at the heater control assembly (mine does not have A/C), and I think there might be all of two bolts to unscrew.

As I say, just get under there with a flashlight and look around. You'll probably figure out in less than 30 seconds how to remove it.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 06:50 PM

Well I can't figure out which bolts need to come out and I got a mess of rubber lines all over the place and they all seem to be black.

The manual doesn't seem to show the set up this car has. It has a small 2 post vac switch on the passenger side and a 5 vac post "disc" on the driver side.

Right now the heat and a/c just dump straight down to the feet.

Need to take a break for a bit before I go back in

Last edited by BStone; September 3rd, 2011 at 06:52 PM.