Hello to all the BIG Olds Owners!!!

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2010, 08:42 PM

Hello to all the BIG Olds Owners!!!

So.. here I am, minding my own business on a different forum and another member comes to me and says, "Hey... you're posting some decent big car stuff. How about reposting over at classicoldsmobile.com?" and I says, "SURE!!!"... so... now I'm here!!!

Yea, I know, I should be posting in the newbie thread since this is my first, but hey, I never listen to directions anyway. Besides, I've got a full sizer, and I figured the best place for introductions would be with the other full sizers.

So, let's get started. The name is Mocephus, pronounced... Mow-see-fus, or just Mo for short. Self proclaimed Oldsmobile freak. My current list of Olds is in my Sig. My current love is a '68 Delta 88 Holiday Coupe with around 70k miles. Bought her back in aut '5 from PA, she now resides happily in FL. Repainted once, rechromed as well, but interior is all original.

No options, other than A/C and posi. Originally a 2 barrel car with single exhaust, the previous owner swapped in a 4 barrel and factory duels with correct manifolds. Things I've done are listed below. Love the look, but wanted modern mechanicals-electricals. Hmmm...I think I just heard the purists cringe...

12SI Alternator Conversion
HEI
Rebuilt Factory A/C and upgraded compressor to Sanden SD5, changed to 134a refrigerant, custom hoses
Edelbrock Performer Intake
'67 Toro Dual Snorkel Air Cleaner
MARCH Performance Serpentine Belt Kit
Champion Aluminum Radiator
Dual Electric Fans (Dodge Intrepid, '99)
Optima Red Top Battery
Aluminum Brake Master and Booster from '90 Custom Cruiser
Front Disc Brake Conversion
Upgraded front sway bar (can't remember size right now, but HUGE!!!)
15" Chrome Smoothies with Small Bullet Caps, wrapped with Cooper Cobras
Factory Style Rallye Gauges modified to fit the big cars
Grant 3 spoke steering wheel

Future upgrades:
Fuel Injection (not sure which one yet)
Rear Disc brakes
TH200-4R Overdrive Tranny
Boxed Rear Control Arms and Sway Bar
New Springs All Around
Upgrade Factory Radio with modern guts

OK, that was a mouthfull. Anyway, just saying HI to all the full size lovers. I'll be posting some how-to threads on the disc brakes and the gauge pac in the near future if anyone is interested. Stay tuned!!!!

HEY!!! Anyone around West-Central FL with a full sizer? I've yet to see another 65-70 around here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Delta 88 002.jpg (88.6 KB, 137 views)
Delta 88 005.jpg (103.4 KB, 106 views)
DCP01940.jpg (74.7 KB, 73 views)
DCP01941.jpg (80.2 KB, 76 views)
DCP02181.jpg (81.3 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by Mocephus; July 14th, 2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old July 14th, 2010, 08:52 PM

Welcome to the site! Nice looking car! Oh well... I guess we won't take away your birthday for not following directions

Looks like you've been busy, and yes please post the steps you took while making the upgrades you listed. That's a great part of this community, sharing knowledge, ideas and experience! John
Old July 15th, 2010, 06:04 AM

Welcome to our site.

I'm sure there are plenty of people interested in that front disc brake upgrade. Especially since the older stock B/C body brake rotors are impossible to find.

BTW, very cool car!
Old July 15th, 2010, 06:37 AM

MOPECH-From England WOW what a car. For only about $2500.00 you could ship it to my place here in Cambridge England. Free inside storage and garanteed a quick weekly runabout on the motorway motorway to keep it oiled and in good shape, hand wash weekly and dusting daily. Andy
Old July 15th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Oldsdruid

Glad you decided to come over. Mo has posted some incredible tech info on the AACA site, and I thought it needs to be over here too.
Old July 15th, 2010, 07:16 AM

Welcome to CO

Sweet ride, great looking workmanship. been looking at fuel injection myself, several different options out there, hard to make a choice.
Old July 15th, 2010, 07:19 AM

hi and welcome - 3 big gals here , Florida too

check out Olds Club of FL lots of big gals over by you http://www.oldsclubofflorida.com/OCFmembers.html
Old July 15th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Registered

Hey Mocephus.

Stock resto?

Another exclusive land yacht club candidate.
I don't qualify, although I bet mine is longer.
Do those cars use miles per hour or knots per hour on the speedo?
Or does a deckhand drag a rope with knots tied in it to check speed?

Does your name have anything to do with Hank Williams Jr./Bocephus?
Attached Images
bocephus.jpg (31.4 KB, 10 views)
Old July 15th, 2010, 10:34 AM

Old July 15th, 2010, 04:32 PM

See, now there's a bunch of hellos that can make a man all fuzzy inside!!!! In answer to all of the questions posted...

I've got no problem posting the how-to's I've written, but in what section? Here, or elsewhere? They apply only to the full sizers.

Andy, appreciate the offer, but my baby likes to stay in warmer climates.

Citcapp, I've narrowed it down to 2, Profesional Products Powerjection III for ease of install, cheaper price, user friendliness and self learning OR Mass-FloEFI.com, which uses off-the-shelf, mass produced components for ease of repairing down the road and is also self learning. Not cheap though.

Jefferyalman, nice rides!!! I've been to a few events where the Olds Club was, and also know Mark the President(?). Gave the A/C in one of his car's a new life a few years back. Great people.

Bluevista, Hmmm.... I've got 17 feet and some change... you? I tried dragging a deckhand behind her, tied to a rope, but they don't seem to last long enough to tell me how fast I'm going.

Yes, the name is derived from HW Jr. My initials are MO and an old friend (who is into country) tied the 2 together. Also, a line in the Primus song "Jerry Was A Race Car Driver" states,"...With a Bocephus sticker on his 442, he'd light 'em up just for fun". How fitting...
Old July 15th, 2010, 09:47 PM

Welcome...beautiful ride. Love the black roof. I'm a '65 88 man myself (3) but that '68 sure is sharp. Good luck with the mods and I'd love info on what you decide for the rear disc brake mod.

Post often
Old July 16th, 2010, 05:34 AM

IF you post info on the brake modifications just do it in our brakes forum.
Old July 16th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Hi, Mo!
Welcome to a really great forum. Love your BIG Delta Eighty-Eight.

Back in the day when I was driving Ninety-Eights I wouldn't even look at a Cutlass in the showroom! and.... Look what happened to them!

I'm STILL a BIG olds guy! I'll be watching your mods with great interest. The only mod in my future is HEI.

Thanks fot sharing your input.

--Don
Old July 16th, 2010, 04:57 PM

OK, brake upgrade has been posted!!! I'll post the gauge conversion this weekend.

Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome.
Old July 16th, 2010, 08:48 PM

Welcome to the site Mocephus, very awesome ride. Love the color blue, is it a stock color? Many late 60's B bodies here, your is a fine addition to the club! Good luck to ya.
Old July 16th, 2010, 09:45 PM

Welcome from another 68 Olds Delta owner. Your car looks great!
Old July 17th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Oldsdruid

Sometime while you're about it, how about showing us how you did that Sanden A/C compressor? A LOT of us would be interested in that upgrade, and making it fit our A6 brackets.
Old July 17th, 2010, 07:28 PM

FatRatMatt, she's been repainted, but I think it is close to the original color. LOVE the Delmont. How far is Port St Lucie from the Tampa Bay area? I've love to see these two side by side.

68DeltaCustom, thanks for the welcome. Have any pics of yours? Would love to see the bucket interior and console.

RocketRaider, the Sanden conversion is part of the MARCH Performance Serpentine Belt Conversion. I can take pics of the brackets and already installed but it's a pretty radical change and a bit pricey (thing I paid around $1200 for it).

HOWEVER, I work for Classic Auto Air Manufacturing. We work strictly with 54-81 classic cars, custom cars and exotics and have Sanden conversion kits for quite a few, including Cutlass. I helped design a mount for the Olds motors. Puts the Sanden in the same location as the stock A6. The mount bolts to the front of the head only and is a pretty hardy unit that actually swings out for adjustment purposes. I don't think it's listed on our website yet, but I'll get pics of the mount this coming week and post them here.
Old July 18th, 2010, 04:53 AM

let's meet in Sebring! and bring me some 1-1/2" lap cooler duct please

Attached Images
fl.jpg (83.9 KB, 315 views)
Old July 18th, 2010, 07:29 AM

I'd be up for a jaunt to Sebring!!! Anyone else? When and where? Lap duct? You mean the flex hose going to the vent below he column? Sorry, no can do. Smallest I have on the shelf is 2".
Old July 18th, 2010, 08:37 AM

It's been a loooong time since I've been on this site, but here's my '65 Jetstar 88.
jetstar_airport.jpg
jetstar_airport_blackwhite_2_small.jpg
rear-2.jpg
Old July 18th, 2010, 10:21 AM

:}

welcome Mo
Old July 18th, 2010, 10:38 AM

Jetstarboy, that is a GORGEOUS Jetstar 88!!!! What's it like under the hood?

Thanks Old Blue!!!
Old July 18th, 2010, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mocephus
I'd be up for a jaunt to Sebring!!! Anyone else? When and where? Lap duct? You mean the flex hose going to the vent below he column? Sorry, no can do. Smallest I have on the shelf is 2".
ez ride for me up 27 - no 1-1/2" duct? wow, glad I saved mine and made it work
Old July 18th, 2010, 10:44 AM

All, the Rallye Gauge conversion is now posted in Electrical. Funny... I'm reading through it and thinking, man, this write up is pretty crappy!!!!

Oh well...It was 3 1/2 years ago and I didn't have my lovely fiancee manning the camera, like on the brake upgrade.
Old July 18th, 2010, 02:55 PM

jetstar boy

loooove that car and the vehicle enhancing background clors
mike
Old July 18th, 2010, 09:19 PM
2 '66 98's

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Sometime while you're about it, how about showing us how you did that Sanden A/C compressor? A LOT of us would be interested in that upgrade, and making it fit our A6 brackets.

I, too, can show you what I did to convert to a Sanden compressor. I made my own adapter brackets that combine with the original brackets. I have patterns available if anyone is interested.
It can be seen at the Nationals next week in the Street Stock class.

Bruce

Last edited by bigoldscruiser; July 18th, 2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old July 19th, 2010, 05:34 AM

Welcome Mocephus! Sweet looking car! The mods are great - not spoiling the classic looks of the car. I like it...

HOWEVER, I work for Classic Auto Air Manufacturing. We work strictly with 54-81 classic cars, custom cars and exotics and have Sanden conversion kits for quite a few, including Cutlass. I helped design a mount for the Olds motors. Puts the Sanden in the same location as the stock A6. The mount bolts to the front of the head only and is a pretty hardy unit that actually swings out for adjustment purposes. I don't think it's listed on our website yet, but I'll get pics of the mount this coming week and post them here.
INTERESTING!! I might be asking you a whole slew of questions about A/C rework soon, as I later plan to send my whole system to CAA for resto.

I am contemplating the sanden compressor - trying to figure if it is more reliable, higher performance, or longer lived than the A6. Weight and gas econ are don't cares to me.

Lap duct? You mean the flex hose going to the vent below he column?
Yep - for the crotch-cooler vent.

Originally Posted by bigoldscruiser
I, too, can show you what I did to convert to a Sanden compressor. I made my own adapter brackets that combine with the original brackets. I have patterns available if anyone is interested.
It can be seen at the Nationals next week in the Street Stock class.
Bruce
I would be interested in a picture of your setup.
Old July 20th, 2010, 06:41 PM
2 '66 98's

Here are a couple of shots of the setup plus templates of the adapter brackets I made.
Attached Images
IMG_0005.jpg (55.6 KB, 41 views)
IMG_0006.jpg (61.9 KB, 31 views)
IMG_0007.jpg (73.3 KB, 35 views)
IMG_0009.jpg (19.5 KB, 32 views)
Old July 22nd, 2010, 06:01 PM
Kjr442

Welcome Mo, I love your car, and how about that jetstar ? this stuf never gets old.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 07:27 PM

Thanks guys, on the compliments on my Jetstar..Kjr442 sent me an email asking what mods were made to get those wheels in there...none! I just bagged it, and made sure my backspacing was right on, in order for them to fit. I can't remember what the backspacing is, but I have 18"s in the front and 20"s in the rear. Oh yeah...The coolest part of the car, is that my parents bought in new in '65. I drove in high school and parked it. It sat there for 25 or so years, untill I got out and rebuilt it about 6 years ago. 65K original miles on it. I'll post more pics of the interior and engine.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 09:55 AM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Originally Posted by jetstarboy
Thanks guys, on the compliments on my Jetstar..Kjr442 sent me an email asking what mods were made to get those wheels in there...none! I just bagged it, and made sure my backspacing was right on, in order for them to fit. I can't remember what the backspacing is, but I have 18"s in the front and 20"s in the rear. Oh yeah...The coolest part of the car, is that my parents bought in new in '65. I drove in high school and parked it. It sat there for 25 or so years, untill I got out and rebuilt it about 6 years ago. 65K original miles on it. I'll post more pics of the interior and engine.
Beautiful Jetstar! Mine is very stock... no AC, windows, or locks--just brakes and steering. Blue Belle has 56K miles and I got it from the original owner. I had the bench seat re-stuffed and the springs fixed.

I'm going to do a little sprucing up under the hood. I wonder what color your brake vacuum unit is painted. I've seen silver and black on my engines, 330 cu. in.

Can't wait to see your pictures!

--Don
Attached Images
4799018107_1a0f4b65aa.jpg (113.1 KB, 7 views)
Old July 23rd, 2010, 11:18 AM
Past Administrator

Gawd!! I don't know how I missed this thread earlier. First, welcome to CO MO. Glad to have you with us as it looks like you are bringing a lot with you to our site, thanks. Second, jetsarboy that is a beautiful car and I mean it! Excellent job on the look. Third, both you you have some really nice paint on your cars. Very nice work indeed.
Old July 24th, 2010, 01:39 PM

And the warm welcomes just keep coming!!! This never gets old...
Thanks everyone!!!!!!!
Old July 25th, 2010, 09:09 AM

Mocephus could you post a picture off youre engine?
i'm curious about the aircleaner look.

And Jetstarboy where do you live? In my country we have speedbumps.
those nice looking little hill's in the middel of the road
I'l putted the original tire's on becouse of it, hit those bumps regular

Both are nice looking cars
Old July 25th, 2010, 06:17 PM

D, I'll take some pics tomorrow. I have no decent, recent shots. I can tell you that I have an air cleaner off a 67 Toronado, dual snorkel, painted black.
Old July 27th, 2010, 05:22 PM

OK, here's some engine compartment pics. The first is for the air cleaner shot. Damn pretty, if you ask me. Everything needs a little freshening up, but not bad for a driver.

The 2nd and 3rd are of the A/C hoses, Sanden compressor, and mount, which came from March Performance as a complete serpentine conversion. THe idler is bolted to the WP.

The 4th is the alternator mount, which also mounts the PS pump and idler.

The 5th just shows the complete serpentine setup. Kinda hard to get a pic of the front of it, since the electric fans are in the way.
Attached Images
Engine Overview.jpg (98.5 KB, 57 views)
Engine Compartment Right.jpg (95.5 KB, 38 views)
Sanden Mount and Idler.jpg (77.9 KB, 36 views)
Alt-PS-Idler Mount.jpg (79.6 KB, 30 views)
Serpentine Setup Right.jpg (74.0 KB, 36 views)
Old July 27th, 2010, 05:38 PM

Here's some more... the 1st 2 are the electric fans. Got them from a '99 Intrepid. Heard they were great for big radiators. I can say...ABSOLUTELY!!! When these things come on, they pull so much air, it'll drag the temp gauge below 180 before shutting down....at idle!!!

The 3rd is the bone stock HEI and wire set I pulled from a '76 Cutlass and dropped in a few weeks ago. Got sick and tired of points and the aftermarket conversions failing. Didn't want to do anything to it until I was sure it would work and wouldn't interfere with anything. Damn thing works like new!!!! Need to clean it up, though.

4th is the master cylinder I upgraded to, when I decided to go with discs. It's out of a '90 Custom Cruiser and the reservoir is from an '80s Suburban.

5th is the PS cooler I added, since the damn steering box is right next to the exhaust manifold. I had it replaced with a 12 to 1 ratio box and the extra heat load made steering at idle... clunky.... The cooler helped a lot.
Attached Images
Fans Left.jpg (93.1 KB, 25 views)
Fans Rear.jpg (93.1 KB, 21 views)
HEI.jpg (75.2 KB, 25 views)
Aluminum MC.jpg (90.5 KB, 29 views)
PS Cooler.jpg (97.3 KB, 28 views)
Old July 28th, 2010, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ddbord
I'm going to do a little sprucing up under the hood. I wonder what color your brake vacuum unit is painted. I've seen silver and black on my engines, 330 cu. in.

Can't wait to see your pictures!

--Don
Old July 28th, 2010, 07:42 PM

Welcome to the forum Mo. Great looking car.

Nice car as well, jetstarboy.

Quick Reply: Hello to all the BIG Olds Owners!!!