Header and exhaust options

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2014, 05:59 AM
V8 survivor

Header and exhaust options

My 1972 Delta 88 Royale 2 door 350 is still running its original exhaust set up.
This being standard manifolds, y pipe running around the engine, then going into a single pipe running under the car to a single offset muffler under the passenger side near the rear wheel. It then has an intricate over axle pipe going out to the rear with no other silencers/mufflers.
The over axle pipe was rotten and full of holes, so i've taken that off. The muffler doesn't seem far behind, and looks pretty tired.
The front pipes seem ok but i can detect some mild "chuffing" noises on the passenger side in the engine bay with the hood up.

It will all soon require replacement. Question is, with what?
I've been looking online, and theres about a million variations of headers listed for a multitude of applications.
I don't want anything exotic. Just some mild steel headers will be fine.
Then, what do i hook onto it? I notice Summit does a universal header back exhaust kit that you just need to add mufflers to.
I would like a nice, relatively loud, V8 exhaust note, and if there is a performance bonus, then that would be great, but i'm not too worried about that.
I was considering the summit kit with a pair of cherry bombs, then just pointing the outlets toward the sides of the car.
Like i said, i don't want anything flash, and my budget is limited.
To have a bespoke exhaust made over in the UK would cost a fortune, and i can't find anyone selling a dual pipe set up for my car on the standard manifolds.
Bear in mind also, that i'll have to pay substantial shipping costs..

Any cost effective suggestions would be great!
Old September 20th, 2014, 08:07 AM
V8 survivor

anybody?
Old September 20th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I don't know if they have muffler shops in the UK or not. If they do, I think that is your best bet. Just keep the stock manifolds and have them build you new dual exhaust from the manifolds back. Use a set of turbo mufflers. A good muffler shop can custom bend the pipes and make it fit very nicely.
Old September 20th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I don't know if they have muffler shops in the UK or not.
I'm pretty sure that cars in the (still) United Kingdom have mufflers...
Old September 20th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I am sure they do. Maybe I should make my post a little clearer.

Do they have CUSTOM muffler shops in the UK. That would be one that custom bends and makes pipes and not one that just replaces mufflers that all the cars in the UK probably have.
Old September 20th, 2014, 03:21 PM
V8 survivor

, I can't afford a custom exhaust. I was hoping that there might be a company who can sell me an "off the shelf" solution. Perhaps something from another B body might be available?
Old September 20th, 2014, 03:35 PM
72 Olds CS

Rockauto can supply standard pipes for your car idk if that car ever came w duals but if it did you could order those as well. You could order the individual pipes and supply a turbo muffler or cherry bomb on a single exhaust. A basic custom exhaust in the us is maybe 30% more than one of the dual kits availible I would think most of that savings would be offset w shipping! have you checked into any of the exhaust shops for an estimate?