Header Options

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2012, 06:56 AM

Header Options

I've done a fair bit of searching and lots of staring at pictures before I posted this up and I'm hoping someone has the answer. I've got a 1972 Cutlass S Coupe factory big block that I purchased recently. The car has Hooker Super Comp headers on it and the tube nearest the firewall on the driver side exits out over the frame and through the wheel well.
This steals ground clearance and wheel well clearance from me and I'm hoping that most of the headers out there do not route this way. I'm not drag racing the car and on what is a mostly stock motor I cannot for the life of me figure out why someone would stick headers like this on. Anyone have suggestions for headers that would get me some ground clearance and stay out of my wheel wells?
Thanks.
Old July 30th, 2012, 07:50 AM

Just about all of the smaller diameter headers don't go thru the firewall. That's the reason those do, the tubes are pretty good size.
Old July 30th, 2012, 08:30 AM

M&J Proformance has the best headers for an Olds period. 304 stainless with 3/8" thick flanges. Spike/merge collectors, all tubes inside the frame and great ground clearance. No funky dents in any tubes either. They are made by ARH in the USA. They are the ****.
Old July 30th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by chadman
They are the ****.

So "They are ****" is bad, but "They are THE ****" is good?

I'm getting too old for this...
Old July 30th, 2012, 09:01 AM
delete

If its mostly stock you can always go back to repro manifolds. If you get your current headers out in one piece they have to have some value to the right person.
Old July 30th, 2012, 09:11 AM

The over-the-frame headers may also give extra starter clearance in your application. The Hooker Super Comps are the only ones that allow you to run a full-size starter on a G-body, and it's so wide open you can change the starter without touching the headers.
Old July 30th, 2012, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Intragration
The over-the-frame headers may also give extra starter clearance in your application. The Hooker Super Comps are the only ones that allow you to run a full-size starter on a G-body, and it's so wide open you can change the starter without touching the headers.
Something I didn't even consider, although since the previous owner also installed a low profile starter I'm not terribly concerned. The thing is that I would like to run some larger wheels and possibly air ride which would mean re-locating the shocks so the routing over the frame is less than ideal for me. Plus I get the feeling that Super Comps on a stock bottom end car with a performer, and a 750cfm carb is probably overkill.

In the end I am looking for options that allow me to run some headers that do not wrap over the frame and give decent ground clearance.
Thanks to the rest for their input.
Old July 30th, 2012, 11:07 PM

How much are you willing to spend on a set of headers? For a cheap set Headman's are nice...but if you can spend a little more you can get the Hooker 1 7/8 primary headers that do NOT go over the frame. If you want a really nice set look at Doug Thorley's 1 7/8" primary headers...and if you must have a stainless set that cost $1050 to an insider then get the American Racing headers from M&J.

I've got a set of Thorley's nickel plated on my car now...when I sell them I'm gonna get the ARH from M&J. Until then, I still have a nice set of headers.