Disc brake options for -68 88 ?

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2012, 02:35 PM

Disc brake options for -68 88 ?

Hi,

After some 17 years I finally got my old Delta 88 out from the garage and took a ride with it. I was already forgotten how bad the original drum brakes were - so I'm looking for some options to update those old drums with disc brakes.

I know that disc brakes were option for these but are they easy to find and how about spare parts for these?

How about aftermarket products?

I'm a bit far from US and I think that my -68 Delta 88 is the only one in the country - so the availability of spare parts for big body Oldsmobiles is quite bad.

-Sami
Old October 16th, 2012, 02:48 PM

Welcome

Hi Sami: Welcome to the Classic Oldsmobile Forum! There's lot to great people and good information here for you.
Please post a hello in the Newbie Section and introduce yourself. https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/newbie-forum/

Also show us some pics of your '68 88.

BTW... I have power drum brakes on my car.

Last edited by Jaybird; October 16th, 2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old October 16th, 2012, 03:45 PM

I have a '67 Delta 88 with drums on all four wheels, and I must say that I find the constant denigration of the brakes on these cars an annoyance. I understand that disc brakes are better. BUT, and it's a big but, four-drum systems were not that bad! These cars stopped just fine with them. MY car stops just fine with four drum brakes.

You say your car hasn't been driven in 17 years, you take it out and go for a spin, find the brakes less than to your liking, and immediately assume the problem is such that the only solution is to replace the front ones with discs. Have you made sure they're working properly after such a long sit? If properly adjusted with parts that are in good condition, they should stop your car just fine.

Of course you can go ahead and make the swap, but you yourself point out the potential problems with this. You're in Europe where availability of parts is nearly non-existent. Whatever you do, you're talking about locating parts in the U.S. and paying whatever is necessary to have them shipped to you. Then you have to do the swap itself.

If it were me, I would assure myself that my brakes are working properly and then leave them as they are.

Just my thoughts!
Old October 16th, 2012, 03:45 PM

Now I have few pics added. -68 Delta 88

-Sami
Old October 16th, 2012, 03:46 PM

And, oh yes, welcome to the site!
Old October 16th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Welcome.

Originally Posted by jaunty75
If it were me, I would assure myself that my brakes are working properly and then leave them as they are.
+1. Jaunty is right on the money.

I put many miles on a '68 88 with a 455 and drums all around, and also on a '68 98 with front disks, and there was no significant difference between the two (I did not drive in the Rocky Mountains or tow anything for more than a few miles with either of them).

The drums should be just fine - fix them and you will be happy.

- Eric
Old October 16th, 2012, 04:14 PM

Before taking it out from the garage, I opened all the brakes and adjusted properly. I had to do MOT (or I don't know how you call annual inspection) before getting license plates back. In that inspection everything seemed to be ok, since the difference between both sides was under 5% (we have maximum of 20%) but in a real life situation they are not that good at all. At the beginning of breaking they feel powerful - but loosing power quite fast. Another issue is that they easily try to steer the car sometimes to the right sometimes to left - so it's always surprise where we are going when braking (although on the paper they are almost fantastic). All the parts are basically almost new except the brake lines.

What comes to parts availability in general (in Europe) the situation is not that bad and there are several dealers who order goods from US on lets say few times a week. Most of the parts GM shared with other models are usually always available - but with Oldsmobile specific parts situation is different because there are no any specialized dealers and big dealers don't want to play with margin stuff. Prices here are usually the same than in US except that we are paying the same amount in Euros (add some 30%).

-Sami
Old October 16th, 2012, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sami
At the beginning of breaking they feel powerful - but loosing power quite fast. Another issue is that they easily try to steer the car sometimes to the right sometimes to left - so it's always surprise where we are going when braking (although on the paper they are almost fantastic). All the parts are basically almost new except the brake lines.
The symptoms you describe are those of improperly adjusted brakes. Simply installing brand-new parts is not necessarily enough. Brake shoes need to be adjusted and brake lines need to be bled. Improperly adjusted, worn, or defective disc brakes can also cause your car to pull to one side or the other. The loss of power sounds more serious and could be due to a leaky vacuum line to your power brake booster. Again, this kind of problem could occur in disc brake systems as well.

The bottom line is that the problems you describe are not those of a properly working system, drum OR disc brake. From your description, it sounds you have both improperly adjusted components as well as possibly defective or non-working parts. Your car should not pull to one side, and you should definitely not see a loss in power after a few steps on the brake pedal. Dried out, cracked, and thus leaking vacuum lines could certainly be expected of a car of the age of this one, especially if it hasn't been driven for many years.

Last edited by jaunty75; October 16th, 2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old October 16th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Ben

Are reproduction drums now available? Back when i had my 68 Delmont about 10 years back, all 4 drums were already turned beyond tolerance (one was scary thin!) but they were no longer being made and not available.

just curious, because i still keep my eye open for my old car. If it turns up again i would buy it back in a heart beat, but the brakes would be the first issue i'd have to tackle.
Old October 16th, 2012, 04:43 PM

Kanter offers new brake drums for these cars. $99 each, front or rear.

http://www.kanter.com///productdetai...0&Cat=6&Prc=35
Old October 16th, 2012, 05:26 PM

Wow... Good News!

This is good news! You learn something new on this site each day!

Jaunty75, I didn't know that I could obtain new front brake drums for my '67 Delta 88. The last time that I checked Kanter and other sites, the front drums were not available.
I have kept my front drums from my parts car because I didn't think that I could obtain the correct front drums for my car.

Thanks for the find!

Last edited by Jaybird; October 16th, 2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old October 16th, 2012, 08:01 PM

Glad to be of help!
Old October 17th, 2012, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
The symptoms you describe are those of improperly adjusted brakes. Simply installing brand-new parts is not necessarily enough. Brake shoes need to be adjusted and brake lines need to be bled. Improperly adjusted, worn, or defective disc brakes can also cause your car to pull to one side or the other. The loss of power sounds more serious and could be due to a leaky vacuum line to your power brake booster. Again, this kind of problem could occur in disc brake systems as well.

The bottom line is that the problems you describe are not those of a properly working system, drum OR disc brake. From your description, it sounds you have both improperly adjusted components as well as possibly defective or non-working parts. Your car should not pull to one side, and you should definitely not see a loss in power after a few steps on the brake pedal. Dried out, cracked, and thus leaking vacuum lines could certainly be expected of a car of the age of this one, especially if it hasn't been driven for many years.
I know the things you discribed

I have bled all the brake lines, brake shoes have adjusted properly(believe me, it's not the first time - when I was young I did this for living). And on brake dyno the power and balance are both really good.

Only thing that I haven't replace so far are the brake lines and they could be potential source of inbalance working. Anyway I will go through all the old brake lines and will replace them during the next "winter".

What I meant when I tried to discribe loss of power is that after few hard breaking (not after few steps) they are not really that good (drum brakes makes more heat that causes power loss). Sorry if I didn't express myself clear enough but this is not my native language.

Hence I would be pleased if I could find something better.

I have already repaired the engine, bodywork and interior - so the chassis will be the next work to do and at the same I have to consider brakes anyway and I just personally like more disc brakes.

Thanks for comments
Sami
Old October 18th, 2012, 03:19 PM

Front Disc Brakes For A Large Oldsmobile

Sami: My man, here is a link to a very good discussion about front disc brakes for our cars!
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...elta-88-a.html
Old October 18th, 2012, 04:01 PM

I may know of a set of complete front disc brakes spindles & prop. valve from a '70 Delta 88. Let me know if you need them.
Old October 21st, 2012, 06:04 AM

Jaybird: Thanks for the info. That was a great topic.

Oldspackrat: I'll let you know if I go that route.

-Sami