Car just stopped moving...

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2014, 07:15 PM

Car just stopped moving...

I got the brakes all rebuilt on my '76 88 with the 455 so I was out backroading it a little since I had not got to drive it much since bringing it home due to the bad brakes. It was driving and shifting great!

All of the sudden it just stops moving, if I let it sit a minute it will start to have a little reverse, but nothing else. The fluid is full. Did the trans blow?

I have not had many automatics so this is basically my first one in a old car.
Old October 30th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Are you checking the fluid level with engine warmed up and running in park on level ground?
Old October 30th, 2014, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Are you checking the fluid level with engine warmed up and running in park on level ground?
It was running, in park, and seemed to be pretty level ground. I had just topped off the fluid when I brought it home because it was low, and causing a shifting issue but I have not seen a puddle under it large enough to cause it not to move.

I had driven about 2-3 miles before this happened.
Old November 5th, 2014, 07:10 PM
pimp ghetto sled lover

may sound like a dumb question since you said you checked the fluid level. did you also check it after it stopped moving? I ask because I bought a 76 regency and drove it 100 miles home and it ran and shifted fine.. then backing it into my driveway I noticed it did not want to move unless I revved it a little. thought the trans was smoked but it turned out to be a bad vacuum modulator on the trans as it was sucking fluid into the motor and burning it. no puddle when that happens. pulled the hose and it had fluid in it. changed the part, topped the trans off and good to go. may not be your issue but good luck with it, cool ride. dave
Old November 5th, 2014, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by djcrook73
may sound like a dumb question since you said you checked the fluid level. did you also check it after it stopped moving? I ask because I bought a 76 regency and drove it 100 miles home and it ran and shifted fine.. then backing it into my driveway I noticed it did not want to move unless I revved it a little. thought the trans was smoked but it turned out to be a bad vacuum modulator on the trans as it was sucking fluid into the motor and burning it. no puddle when that happens. pulled the hose and it had fluid in it. changed the part, topped the trans off and good to go. may not be your issue but good luck with it, cool ride. dave

It was up... but it was also dark out.

I am thinking I have some other issues. Not real pink anymore. I'm going to throw a new filter in just in case the other was just plugged, but either way if it does go again I am thinking it won't be long.

I always miss half the oil when doing a transmission.

I drew that line in the pan with my finger, thin layer of sludge.

Old November 5th, 2014, 08:19 PM

Only time this happened to me the center spline in the torque converter broke into several pieces. Car would move for a few hundred feet at a time after shutting it off and restarting. It was a long drive home.

The sludge in the pan is normal. If you're able to pull the torque converter you can look into the snout and actually see the broken spline if that is the cause.
Old November 7th, 2014, 04:20 AM
pimp ghetto sled lover

hey 76, did the car move after the filter/fluid change?