77-85 Delta & Custom Cruiser body tag question...

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2012, 05:19 PM

77-85 Delta & Custom Cruiser body tag question...

Something that's always perplexed me... I would love to confirm that my Delta is indeed a Holiday. I've had the carpet out, and the console brackets appear to have been factory installed. Meaning, they aren't hack jobbed in, and match the rest of the interior. But this to me is not good enough.

The best I've been able to decipher is that my car is indeed a 78 Coupe.

My problem is this... Would anyone mind looking at their firewall mounted body tag and tell me if there tag is screwed in, or riveted in?

I've had a look at the vin tag, and it has not been tampered with, but it seems kinda odd that Olds would have screwed the body tag in versus riveting it. Just wanna rule out funny business with the tag...
Old May 31st, 2012, 08:09 PM
Oldsdruid

The closest documentation I've ever been able to find is that all Holiday 88s were built on base Delta platform- no Royales or Broughams- and that the body plate modular seat code should indicate bucket seats. Not sure what the 1977-81 bucket seat code was, it was A51 thru 76.

So, an L37 base Delta coupe with a bucket seat code on the data plate would likely be a Holiday 88.
Old May 31st, 2012, 08:23 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I always thought the cowl tags were riveted. Just did a quick search and could only find older cowl tags. The odd thing is that I found a cowl tag from a 73 that has screws also. Don't know if this is factory or not.
Old June 1st, 2012, 05:41 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Tags are bolted on.
Old June 1st, 2012, 12:42 PM

Ok, in the area that the above pic has "AN7" I have an A51. I feel a little better. Is there a way to confirm the body tag belongs to the same car as the VIN #?
Old June 5th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Registered Loser

Originally Posted by fdwheelman
Ok, in the area that the above pic has "AN7" I have an A51. I feel a little better. Is there a way to confirm the body tag belongs to the same car as the VIN #?
It's my old car so I promise you it's a real Holiday! I knew it a few years before I accidentally stumbled upon it at the Birmingham Salvation Army used car lot... An older gentleman who lived somewhere around Southside Birmingham used to drive it around -- it still had the stick-on Holiday 88 emblems on the C-pillars.

As for the body tag, there's no number that will match up to the VIN tag. The only link would be the body type & assembly plant code. (VIN will show "M" for Lansing & the body tag will have 'LAN' somewhere in the top line.

All '73'-'77 A-bodies & '71-'76 B-bodies have their body tags screwed on. Certain body styles had them attached with those strange brass rivet-things..(pre '73 A-body cars, H-body cars of the 70's, all unit-body GM cars in the 80's, etc.)

Take good care of "my" car!

Last edited by junqueboi; June 5th, 2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old June 5th, 2012, 10:29 PM

It gets plenty of love.

In fact, it now has a documented ownership provenance of some of the high lights of being with me. I'm not doubting it is a real Holiday, just confirming what I already know. And in fact, working to make sure anything I modify doesn't lose it's Holiday specific touches.

As for the Birmingham ties. I found a piece of mail in the car addressed to a Bob Scharfenstein. Any searches for him bring up links to him and a Bill Mason. I've tried for years to find a way to contact either to see if there is more history to the car. I'd also love to touch bases with them to tell them it's still on the road.

BTW, talk to John, he drove it the other day... You'll have to get his opinion!!