68 delmont 88 front hubs/drums? Interchange guide??

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2014, 05:04 PM

68 delmont 88 front hubs/drums? Interchange guide??

OK ive been to every auto parts store in town and no one carrys this drum/hub assembly.. so i need advice... this is my only car and its my daily driver.

I need to locate a driver side hub/drum and mine is needing to be replaced.. idiot installed the race wrong for the wheel barrings and they refuse to fix it since they cant locate the drum/hub assembly and there calling it a manufacturer defect and to take it up with them..

so if any one knows of any sites and can drop links to these sites to the actual product please do.. or if you know what will inter change please let me know.. even if its to convert to disk breaks... im out of options at the moment and need this car running to keep my job lol..

thanks..
Old November 5th, 2014, 06:07 PM

Theres a disc brake conversion on Amazon. its SSBC A-129-13. $795.00
Old November 5th, 2014, 06:24 PM

A company called Scarebird may also have a disc conversion.
Steve
Old November 5th, 2014, 07:09 PM
Phantom Phixer

Parts book shows 65-69, with drum brakes, all the same , except F-85 or Toronado.
For some reason, left side is different from right.
Part # is 390699 for hub and drum assembly.
Old November 5th, 2014, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Parts book shows 65-69, with drum brakes, all the same , except F-85 or Toronado.
For some reason, left side is different from right.
Part # is 390699 for hub and drum assembly.
HEY THANKS.. to both of you..

I saw the one on amazon but i wasnt sure it would work since i was under the assumption i would need new spindles for this conversion.

And Charlie thanks for the part number.. how can i exactly use this? ive tried several sites and no luck.. so and thing 65-69 olds will work huh..

and the reason its different as far as i can tell is that the speedo cable hooks to the center dust cover..
Old November 6th, 2014, 09:22 AM
Phantom Phixer

You can try googling the part number. Try "Oldsmobile 390699"
I think the difference between left & right is the left hand thread on the studs on LH side.
Yes 65 thru 69 full size cars are all the same drum and hub. Except disc brake, F-85,and Toronado.

Last edited by Charlie Jones; November 6th, 2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old November 6th, 2014, 09:36 AM

I was taking pcs of the 65 starfire recently and noticed that the front control arms are not too badly rusted. Not bad, for MI. Maybe the front drums are serviceable for a driver. is used acceptable?
Old November 7th, 2014, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Octania
I was taking pcs of the 65 starfire recently and noticed that the front control arms are not too badly rusted. Not bad, for MI. Maybe the front drums are serviceable for a driver. is used acceptable?
used is more than acceptable lol!
Old November 7th, 2014, 09:25 AM

I may be able to view Saturday, otherwise it'll be a week or two before I can get to it.

How rushed are you?
Chris
five 0ne 7..Four 49.oh 43 two
Old November 7th, 2014, 10:22 AM

I may be able to view Saturday, otherwise it'll be a week or two before I can get to it.

How rushed are you?
Chris
five 0ne 7..Four 49.oh 43 two
ASAP.. IM ACTIVELY looking so if i find one today it wouldnt be 2 soon lol.. ill let you know if i find one.. if I dont just assume i haven't yet.
Old November 7th, 2014, 12:14 PM

WELL NO LUCK.. ive called every one i can think of and googled... and no one has these damn drums.. very frustrating.
Old November 7th, 2014, 06:04 PM

Kanter auto parts shows them in their catalogue for $119.each
Kanter.com
Old November 9th, 2014, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by 68DeltaCustom
Kanter auto parts shows them in their catalogue for $119.each
Kanter.com
im not familiar with this site.. is it legit?
Old November 9th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by DigitalFubar
im not familiar with this site.. is it legit?
Kanter has been around for years and specializes in hard-to-get brake and suspension parts. I've used them for parts for my 62 with no issues.
Old November 9th, 2014, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
kanter has been around for years and specializes in hard-to-get brake and suspension parts. I've used them for parts for my 62 with no issues.
awesome thanks..
Old November 9th, 2014, 07:35 PM

I got a centre link for my 68 Delta from them about 4 years ago. Excellent people to deal with.
Old November 10th, 2014, 03:19 PM

I just ordered one from them.. billing is a little wierd as they dont bill you right away..when you place the order but they said they bill 2 days later or so after it goes to there billing department..
Old November 17th, 2014, 07:00 PM

Huh
I put about an hour into breaking tools and burning MAPP gas on the '65 Starfire on Sunday and never even got one lugnut off.

Does this mean that new ones are available and used ones are not worth pursuing?

I tried to call you Sunday but got a business answering machine.
Old November 18th, 2014, 07:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

Huh
I put about an hour into breaking tools and burning MAPP gas on the '65 Starfire on Sunday and never even got one lugnut off.

Does this mean that new ones are available and used ones are not worth pursuing?
Actually, I think it means you need to get a real torch and use the MAPP gas for plumbing...
Old November 18th, 2014, 09:16 AM

The acetylene torch was not going to make that trip, with me 1 good arm these days.

Note to self: full body weight IS enough to break the teeth off the long arm 3/8 Craftsman ratchet. [I forgot to bring the Big Boy ratchet].

Damn tire just kept spinning, it had only partial contact with the ground. Prop blocks were not effective. For an unpaid request, the returns were not justifying the effort.

However, the thing spins easily so perhaps one day it can still be a good part.
Old November 18th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Damn tire just kept spinning, it had only partial contact with the ground. Prop blocks were not effective. For an unpaid request, the returns were not justifying the effort.

Um...

Remove spindle nut, take off hub and drum with tire attached, roll inside for further work?
Old November 18th, 2014, 09:46 AM

Good idea
That's what I did for bumper brackets- cut the frame off and hauled the bumpers with brackets [LOTS of them] and frame piece into town, attacked with 4" cutoff and the air impact. Still took 2 hrs to get all the 735 bracket bolts off that set.

The idea of removing the wheel was to make the job entail lugging smaller pieces.
I was about to cut thru the wheel leaving a disk on the lugnuts. :-)

Snap-on 18V impact did not do the job. 100 ft-lbs Dewalt 1/4 hex drive obviously not then. It was about 100 ft from my van to the parts car, so hauling stuff in and out is a bit of a chore.
Old November 18th, 2014, 05:40 PM
Phantom Phixer

Octania, Do you do know that the lugs on the drivers side are left hand (reverse) thread ?

Last edited by Charlie Jones; November 18th, 2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old November 18th, 2014, 08:04 PM

Thats what i was about to ask too, could they be left hand threads?
Old November 18th, 2014, 09:11 PM
Phantom Phixer

Most (if not all) left hand thread studs have an "L" stamped on the end of the stud.
Old November 19th, 2014, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Octania, Do you do know that the lugs on the drivers side are left hand (reverse) thread ?
Yessir, and that is one reason I attacked the RH wheel first.

They are just beasty rusted, and the tire has poor ground contact.

Normally I cram a block against the tire and that stops rotation.

Buyer's need evaporated anyhow, so, that's all on hold for now.
Old November 19th, 2014, 10:37 PM

yes very acceptable at this point!
Old November 19th, 2014, 10:49 PM

The acetylene torch was not going to make that trip, with me 1 good arm these days.

Note to self: full body weight IS enough to break the teeth off the long arm 3/8 Craftsman ratchet. [I forgot to bring the Big Boy ratchet].

sorry.. I wasnt trying to make you do any thing unpaid.. I was just under the impression you had to get out there first and check them out..

Ill still take it... Kanter screwed this all up.. lied and for the most part played me... I specificly asked them if this was the one for my car and explained that the barrings went into the drum its self.. they assured me it was.. I asked them for a picture of the part to compare and they said they would send me one but i had to place the order first so i did... never got the picture.. about 5 days in i called them because i hadn't received any shipping info yet and the guy told me he never said he would send a picture..

Well needless to say they sent the wrong part.. or the right part and the hub is separate and they dont offer it?
The whole reason im replacing this dang thing is because the race that holds the bearing steady was installed wrong(not by me) and is eating up the inside of the drum and is going thump thump thump as i drive..

So yes please if you can get it off please by all means if you get it off ill take it.. even if it start eating brake pads... at least ill be able to drive my only dang car..
Old November 20th, 2014, 03:22 AM

I have hubs/drums from a 65 Delta I parted already off and can send a picture if you want them. I have both front ones and one rear one (no hub on the rear one of course). The front ones may be side specific because the speedometer runs off the driver side hub via a cable through the spindle. If you need a front it would be $50 plus shipping from zip 45638 for the hub and drum.
Old November 20th, 2014, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by 66luvr
i have hubs/drums from a 65 delta i parted already off and can send a picture if you want them. I have both front ones and one rear one (no hub on the rear one of course). The front ones may be side specific because the speedometer runs off the driver side hub via a cable through the spindle. If you need a front it would be $50 plus shipping from zip 45638 for the hub and drum.
ok i sent you a email and a pm.
Old November 20th, 2014, 02:57 PM

1967 - 1970 Olds Full Size Front Drums

The aftermarket drums catalogs show 1965 - 1966 as one #
and the 1967 - 1970 Olds Full Size 88 & 98 as a C1274 Century -- I have
these BRAKE DRUMS N.O.S. --- not overseas made reproes....

I had -- repeat had -- BRAND NEW HUB & DRUMS!!!!! but my 1967 - 1970 Oldsmobile are Sold Out.... I have 1 old school auto parts store I deal with that might actually have 1 BRAND NEW -- we would have to call them....

I also have a REAL Machine shop that Repairs HUBS by adding metal and
the like -- like what they do to crankshafts.... that's one more option...

I also have the 1965 - 1970 OLDS Full Size front brake shoes ( # 260 --
11" x 2 3/4") and the rears ( # 262 -- 11" x 2") in N.O.S. ++ ASBESTOS ++

Call me if you need -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935..... New York....
Old November 20th, 2014, 03:53 PM

i talked to you in a pm,told you i had a real nice one,i took it off the car and it has been setting here for a while waiting to hear back from you. on the drum/hub and the lens.
Old November 20th, 2014, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by oldolds88
i talked to you in a pm,told you i had a real nice one,i took it off the car and it has been setting here for a while waiting to hear back from you. on the drum/hub and the lens.
i JUST RESPONDED.. I wasnt trying to flake on the lense.. as this came up and took precedence.. sorry my cash is kinda limited.. just responded to you tho..

look guys.. im not trying to have every one running around blindly.. I need to learn patients.. but its kinda hard when its your only car..

so again to any body that responded.. im not trying to flake.. im just looking for the correct part..

i was recently informed that some of the hubs off these different cars the bearings wont line up.. so im just clarifying im going to get the correct part..
Old November 20th, 2014, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by oldolds88
Oldols88 ill take yours.. get me a price fro the drum shipped first please.. as i need that more at the moment and if i have money left over ill get the lense..
if not then it will have to wait until i get paid again but i need the drum first..

I pmed ya.. sorry for any inconveniences..