62 88 vacuum line tracing

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2015 | 02:10 PM

62 88 vacuum line tracing

Guys I have a recently acquired 62 88 and need help tracing where the vacuum lines go. I read here somewhere that if the car has electric wipers and has a vacuum side on the fuel pump it's not the right fuel pump. That maybe why the car is hard to start-but I think it's the choke not being set. More on that later. In one of the pictures I used what I had to at least plumb the vacuum line back from the back of the carburetor to the PB Booster. I will get some help, take the hood off re-attach and reconnect the original vacuum tank reservoir. This line is also setup with a T fitting and is used as a PVC system instead of the 62 downdraft pipe. Once I get the power brakes back I think this set up will cause it to suck oil into the vacuum line going on to the brake booster. On another picture showing the passenger side wheel well, I believe one of the lines should be for the windshield washer pump? But where dose the other supposed to go-to the fuel pump vacuum line that is plugged?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3298.JPG (106.4 KB, 19 views)
IMG_3289.JPG (63.0 KB, 19 views)
6288-14.JPG (315.6 KB, 20 views)
88 underhood.jpg (160.1 KB, 17 views)
Old August 29th, 2015 | 08:49 AM

Rob, you asked me to chime in on this so I will, but all my experience is with a 63 model and I only have a 63 FSM. Here goes:

Fuel pump/lines: The 63 uses a single diaphragm pump with no vacuum pump attached and electric wipers. If you have a dual diaphragm pump and lines connecting it to the engine that should be covered in your 62 FSM, if not you may have the wrong pump. The windshield washer reservoir is located in front of the passenger side core support and the rubber lines to that are located on the wheelhouse as in your photo. You should be able to trace them to the wiper/washer motor and the washer nozzles.

Power Brake booster: On my 63 the vacuum source for this comes straight from the intake manifold, goes to a check valve, then to the booster. There is a T fitting and a line also goes to the vacuum storage tank under the driver side fender. The PCV line should definitely NOT be connected to these lines. I have had trouble with my brakes since I have had my car which I traced to vacuum leaks. A defective booster or a missing master cylinder seal will cause a big vacuum leak as will a leaking storage tank.

PCV: My 63 has a PCV system but your 62 uses a draft tube and breather caps. Unless your engine has massive blow-by you should delete the add-on PCV stuff and put it back to original per your FSM. If your draft tube uses a filter be sure it is replaced and open, same with the breather caps.
Old August 31st, 2015 | 07:47 AM

The 1961 and 1962 use the same fuel pump/vacuum system, there was a change in 1963. The vacuum side goes to the instrument panel and is used to actuate the heater/vent controls. The vacuum line is routed thorough the firewall behind the engine then to a T- filling near the steering column. If you have the deluxe heater system (there are two pushbutton controls on each side of the steering column, ventilation on left, heater on right. I have a 1961 with this system installed.
Old August 31st, 2015 | 02:00 PM

I guess I have the deluxe heater system. That's why my heater controls don't work either I guess? So that plugged vacuum line on the fuel pump really goes up under the steering column. I think the previous owner blocked all these lines to hide the blow-by.
Attached Images
6288-16.JPG (353.3 KB, 12 views)
Old September 3rd, 2015 | 06:27 AM

I will play with it this weekend thanks
Old September 3rd, 2015 | 09:15 AM
Oldsdruid

Where's your speedometer needle???

You have deluxe heater and summer ventilation which is vacuum controlled. Vacuum source is the secondary diaphragm on the fuel pump.

Two reasons: fuel pump diaphragm vacuum is a constant if weak vacuum signal. Manifold vacuum otoh responds to and varies with throttle opening and the reasoning was a drop in vacuum might send the HVAC controls crazy- which everyone knows just couldn't be allowed to happen in an Oldsmobile.

I guess they hadn't figured out vacuum reducers, check valves and storage tanks in 1962, though I know 62 Starfires have a big-azz vacuum can on the power brakes.
Old September 3rd, 2015 | 02:32 PM

There's is no needle. It's a bar that goes across and changes colors as you speed up. Looks really cool. I have the big vac can. I have to remove the hood to put it back on the drivers side wheel house.
Old September 4th, 2015 | 09:20 AM
Oldsdruid

I knew where it was, but I can't get me damn smileys to work! Was gonna put the "confused" smiley in yesterday, and then the razzy one today, but they're not working at all. The daggone "mad" smiley won't work either!

I always have to ask a 59-62 owner where their speedometer needle is!

The Sixty my folks had would turn black past about 105 or so... I thought it was way cool, but I can hear my Mama now telling my Daddy "Frank, if you don't slow this car down you can let me out at the next stop sign!"
Old September 4th, 2015 | 11:28 AM

That's funny you got me on that one!