55 Olds Super 88 Matching Numbers on Body Parts???

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2009, 11:26 AM

55 Olds Super 88 Matching Numbers on Body Parts???

I am selling my 1955 Super 88. A potential buyer wants to know if the numbers match and wants me to find matching numbers on doors, trunk deck, and hood. I am aware of "matching numbers" relative to the vin, engine, transmission,etc. but never heard of "matching numbers" regarding doors hoods and trunk deck. Are there numbers associated with these body parts that can be matched?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Old June 24th, 2009, 12:42 PM

Send him a pic of the body tag & let him decode it as I dont think the body parts had a stamping # He is use to the late models where they put a VIN sticker on body parts to deter Chop shops I never saw or looked for any on our 54 Rocket 88 Just my.02$
Old June 24th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Oldsdruid

Your potential buyer obviously doesn't know much about vintage cars if he expects body panels and stampings to have matching numbers. They simply DO NOT EXIST. Either that or he's trying to be a hardass.

Even the driveline components didn't have them until the late 1960s. The best you can hope for is to get a year correct component and a date code within a month or two ahead of the car's actual build date.

Something tells me this guy would also expect a 1954 car to perform, handle and have all the creature comforts of a 2009. People like that do not need to own vintage cars.

If these "matching numbers" are a deal-breaker, you and your 55 are much better off.

Tell your potential to do his homework and then come back if he's still interested in owning and experiencing a VINTAGE CAR, not a new car.
Old June 24th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Your potential buyer obviously doesn't know much about vintage cars if he expects body panels and stampings to have matching numbers. They simply DO NOT EXIST. Either that or he's trying to be a hardass.

Even the driveline components didn't have them until the late 1960s. The best you can hope for is to get a year correct component and a date code within a month or two ahead of the car's actual build date.

Something tells me this guy would also expect a 1954 car to perform, handle and have all the creature comforts of a 2009. People like that do not need to own vintage cars.

If these "matching numbers" are a deal-breaker, you and your 55 are much better off.

Tell your potential to do his homework and then come back if he's still interested in owning and experiencing a VINTAGE CAR, not a new car.
The use of VIN-derivatives on major body parts was a 1980s gov't attempt to combat car theft and chop shops. As noted, these numbers did not exist on earlier cars. I suspect your buyer is simply not that old.
Old June 25th, 2009, 11:01 AM

Matching numbers are not terribly important to me, but they are to this buyer. This is his first classic car purchase and would like to provide him with legitimate info. I'm not holding his request against him. I remember when I first got in to this "habit" and was considered a beginner. Hec, I'm sure many of you guys have forgotten more than I've ever known about classic cars.

Question:
Does this 1955 Olds 88 have any numbers on the engine block, carb, tranny and or frame that reference the vin number or numbers that can be used to verify that these parts are original to the car?

If they exist, where can I fine them? I've read a lot of posts as to possible locations of these number and I can't find them. Heck, I'm not having any luck finding the Vin number anywhere on the car. I know it's there somewhere because Division of Motor Vehicle needed to verify it with the title.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!
Old June 25th, 2009, 01:03 PM

Coldwar,

You're a scholar and Gentleman! What a great reply!

Thanks Greatly!!!!!!!!!