1974 88 Convert to FI motor? Ease? Hurdles?

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2015, 09:59 AM

1974 88 Convert to FI motor? Ease? Hurdles?

Just wondering out loud if you will. What if any motor that is fuel injected could be installed my 74 99 with a 350. Yes my motor is just fine. Just curious if any newer GN motor, say a LT1 or LSx drive train would fit. Motor and trans mounts need to be modified? Electric fuel pump for the FI, upgraded radiator for the motor?
Is there any threads here on something like this?
Old September 17th, 2015, 01:00 PM

I have to laugh out loud about this. In your other thread, you're going to great pains to explain why you want to have your water pump rebuilt so you can keep the car as original as possible, and now you're talking about getting rid of the engine entirely and putting in something else? There goes originality!!!

I don't think there's any threads on something like this. At least, I've never seen any.

The later, fuel-injected cars are computer controlled, typically non-adjustable, and no one wants to put one in an earlier-generation Oldsmobile as the infrastructure is not there to do so.

The opposite is what people usually want to do. Take a 350 or 455 from a late '60s/early '70s car and put it in an '82 Delta 88 or Cutlass or something like that. The earlier engines are something you can actually do something with, tweak, find performance add-ons for, etc. You don't find these things for '80s engines.
Old September 17th, 2015, 01:07 PM

Notice my OPENING sentence of the thread. Just wondering if this had been done. Didn't say i was doing it. Just curious. jeesh
Old September 17th, 2015, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by 1yesfan
Notice my OPENING sentence of the thread.
I saw it. So what. I still thought the whole question was hilarious based on your obsession with as minute a detail as the originality of the water pump. There couldn't be two threads that are more polar opposites than that one and this one, and they're from the same person!
Old September 17th, 2015, 01:21 PM

well I am Bipolar.
Old September 17th, 2015, 01:37 PM

Hey, I just thought the whole thing was funny. I'm sorry if that was some kind of crime.
Old September 17th, 2015, 01:39 PM

Not a crime but written word on this places is hard to understand in which way the tone of the reply is from the person. Making fun of the post or just amused at the line of questioning.
Old September 17th, 2015, 01:55 PM

I am a stickler for original stuff when possible but have always wondered about doing a good resto mod to an old car. I think it would be cool to see one of these with a nice clean install of a LSx motor.
Old September 17th, 2015, 02:12 PM

My last comment on this:

I apologize for any confusion. I thought the original post was funny not because of what was asked but because of WHO asked it. You asking about replacing the engine in your car, after all you said in your other thread about keeping it original down to the level of the water pump, would be like the Pope asking, "just out of curiosity," what steps would be necessary to convert to Judaism? Whether he meant to do so or not, it would be damn funny if he asked!
Old September 17th, 2015, 08:17 PM

I'm laughing too because I was thinking the exact same thing jaunty was. But oftentimes, my lack of diplomacy gets me in trouble. So I chose to keep my mouth shut.
Old September 18th, 2015, 05:53 AM
72Cutlass S

Easiest way if you were really going to do it; would be to install a FAST EFI system on your motor. That way all of you don't have to mess with converting your gauges to work with the modern engines electronics.
Old September 18th, 2015, 06:26 AM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

I don't think installing a late model LS engine would be excessively difficult. No more so than any other engine swap. The aftermarket supports it with all the necessary parts (controller, harness, sensors, fuel system, etc.)
All it really takes is a fat wallet.
Old September 18th, 2015, 07:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by gs72
Easiest way if you were really going to do it; would be to install a FAST EFI system on your motor. That way all of you don't have to mess with converting your gauges to work with the modern engines electronics.
X2. A modern self-tuning throttle body system will be the cheapest and easiest way to go. If your real question is about installing an LS motor, post your question in the non-Olds engine section.
Old April 22nd, 2016, 07:02 AM

Ive installed a few FITECH fuel injection systems, and sell them, if you are handy, you can get it all done for around $1500 by doing it yourself.
Old April 22nd, 2016, 07:10 AM

I know a lot of guys are doing LS swaps in their GM A Bodies for various reasons. I don't get it but too each there own. I will be going to a FAST FI system in the next couple of years. I have heard good things about them and you can still work on your car and when the air breather is on it still looks like an Olds engine. IMO it's way too much work to do the conversion. But, like I said we all have our reasons for what we do and I will never judge...It's just not for me.
Old April 23rd, 2016, 10:58 AM

I personally am not a stickler for original but being a cheap old guy on a fixed income (my favorite saying) I always error on the side cost and the work involved to do a modification. My opinion is other than the 442s, Hurst, convertible A bodies, one is lucky to get fifty cents on the dollar (labor is free) return when selling the other Oldsmobiles. Yes, I know one should be into it for the hobby, yada yada but who likes to loose money. These cars ran good and gave good service when used as everyday cars. It seems like a lot of work and expense for little gain in a B/C body Oldsmobile. Jmo.