1971 Olds Delta Royale Convertible Question

Search this Thread

Old October 15th, 2015, 09:41 AM

1971 Olds Delta Royale Convertible Question

I had some work done on the car. When I got it back the vent door cable where it connects under the dash was broken. It appears to be a plastic tab that connects to the slide switch. It only blows hot air except when I remove the bottom panel on the left side of the steering wheel and I can then move it. Is there a clamp of some sort that I can put on the cable and attach it to the screw? Otherwise I will have to find another cable. I do not know if there is anyone that makes it. I am sure it is not a common part, in addition to it probably does not fit too many cars. This is an AC vehicle which probably makes it even more scarce. Thank you for any advise.
Old October 16th, 2015, 06:22 PM

The cable is the Blend Door Cable. I do not know what the part number is. Thank you in advance.
Old October 21st, 2015, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by serta1
The cable is the Blend Door Cable. I do not know what the part number is. Thank you in advance.
I don't know how this Volvo sponsor thing is attached to my post, I apologize for it.
Old October 21st, 2015, 07:48 AM

Quite a few years ago, I replaced the heater core on my 68 Buick Skylark. When I got it back together, the cable that opens and closes the blend door for the heat was just moving and not operating the door. I noticed the plastic tab that wraps around the cable was broken right behind the control panel on the dash. If memory serves me correctly, I went to Ace Hardware and purchased a small metal wire clamp and was able to crimp it around the existing cable and put the screw in tight. Has worked ever since then. I know I can get replacement cables for my car now, but couldn't back then. I hope this helps.
Old October 21st, 2015, 07:59 AM

I think what I used was a small version of this. I can't remember if I used any glue on the cable or not.

th.jpg
Old October 21st, 2015, 08:05 AM

Clamp

Thank you for the reply. I agree, the A body parts are easy to come by now, but the B body not so much. I had called Fusick and they did not carry the cable. I was actually thinking about what you did, what kind of clamp could I find at the hardware store. I will give it a try. Once again thank you for the suggestion.

Mr. Paul Sleeper
Old October 21st, 2015, 08:22 AM

Clamp

I don't know if you saw the picture I posted before you responded of the clamp I think I used. I may be able to look up under the dash to see what I actually used if I can get a clear shot up there with the a/c ducts in place.
Old October 21st, 2015, 08:42 AM

Clamp

On the 1971 Delta 88 one has to take off the center panel under the steering wheel and then the panel to the left of that one in order to see where the cable connects to the slide switch. I will see if I can find a clamp like it at the store. Thank you once again.
Old October 31st, 2015, 10:15 AM

Clamp

I was able to only find a plastic version of the clamp. Do you remember if yours was plastic or some kind of metal? The plastic will not hold, it keeps slipping out after 3 or 4 sliding of the Cold / Hot lever. I wish I could find out what the part number is of the cable.
Old November 2nd, 2015, 05:59 AM

Clamp

I remember I had tried a couple different items before I found my fix. I meant to look at the car yesterday to see if I could see under the dash, but I forgot. I will try to get a look for you. I think it was metal and if I am remembering correctly, I really had to squeeze it very tightly around the cable with pliers.
Old November 2nd, 2015, 08:57 AM

Clamp

Thank you for the reply. I presume that your clamp must be metal. The plastic one I tried stretches and then slips. It is a 1/4" size. Probably would have to get the same size in metal. I hope that metal ones are still available.
Old November 2nd, 2015, 04:28 PM

Clamp

I was able to remove the kick panel under the steering column and took a photo of the clamp I rigged up. It appears the large clamp is one of the plastic clamps like the photo I attached earlier in this thread. I have something under the large clamp to make it grip the cable, but I can't remember what I used, may be a smaller clamp of some sort.
Old November 3rd, 2015, 06:06 AM

Clamp

Thank you for the picture. Your plastic clamp looks stronger than the ones I purchased. I did buy the 3/8 size too and tried to put something underneath to hold it. I will have to keep experimenting until I find something that works.
Old January 21st, 2016, 11:05 AM

Did you get this sorted out? I can likely provide a cable or whatever it is you need. I have stripped a number of these cars.