Ring Gear Pattern - Sanity Check!

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2017, 04:35 PM

Ring Gear Pattern - Sanity Check!

I have uploaded pictures from my differential overhaul. I really need a sanity check whether or not this pattern is good. I looked at over 50 pictures on the web and in my manuals and think it's ok but I know we got some experts out there that can verify that. I haven't done one in 20 years, so it's time ask for help.

Pinion pre-load 20 in/lb
Backlash .0075 in
Pinion shim .042 (happens to be the same as the factory pinion had)
Carrier pre-load - good, added .004 to each side after finding 0 lash point
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2573.JPG (1.71 MB, 19 views)
IMG_2574.JPG (1.63 MB, 19 views)
IMG_2575.JPG (1.97 MB, 19 views)
Old August 16th, 2017, 07:19 AM

Different brands and types of gears (street, race, etc.) are cut a bit differently; I usually set up so the drive side contact under the very light load we achieve on set-up measurement goes just to the end of the toe. Your pattern looks good to run. You could check it later after driving to be sure it goes to the toe under a real load.
Old August 20th, 2017, 10:11 PM

Gear pattern check

Well it certainly is not far off... As stated many gears can have many sightly different patterns and all may end up being correct depending on the helical of the gear how many cut gear it is 2 or 5 cut...

Throw more oil on the gear faces and spin it around more ...

.042 for most rears is a bit deep. IF this is a 8.5 .038 is the most common with all aftermarket gears ....THAT AGAIN does not mean it is wrong...
looking at the pattern it appears slight ....slightly deep in the valley more on the cost side than the drive side apparent... Sharp swipe marks at top or bottom not equal are the key points to check. I would say .040 would set-up and run better ... You can run it and see if you hear any noise/ whine. If you do right away tear it down and switch the pinion shim to lesser.
It again certainly will not blow up or anything like that and may very well run quiet as is. all specs are decent and will work also. If it feels smooth spinning both ways and the pattern stays true on every tooth all the way around giving no apparent run out you will have a runner.

Wishing you a quiet runner.
Jim Mitschke
J D RAce