Second Opinion: Gear Swap

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2020, 01:36 PM

Second Opinion: Gear Swap

Hello all,

I just got finished installing a new ring and pinion in my 71 442 and I'm a little nervous. This is the first ring and pinion I have installed and I want to make sure I got it correct. Bellow are pictures of the ring gear after applying the gear marking compound. I'm inclined to think the wear spots are an acceptable pattern, but was hoping to get a second opinion. Please let me know what you'll think.

Coast Side

Drive Side
Old April 21st, 2020, 03:33 PM

What backlash do you have?
Old April 22nd, 2020, 05:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

I'm afraid it kind of looks like the third one down in this chart. Changing pinion shims is a PITA.

Old April 22nd, 2020, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by friesjh
Hello all,

I just got finished installing a new ring and pinion in my 71 442 and I'm a little nervous. This is the first ring and pinion I have installed and I want to make sure I got it correct. Bellow are pictures of the ring gear after applying the gear marking compound. I'm inclined to think the wear spots are an acceptable pattern, but was hoping to get a second opinion. Please let me know what you'll think.

Coast Side

Drive Side
Add .005-6" pinion shim and try again.Why is there oil present?Also looks like you're trying to rotate without applying resistance to the ring gear.
Old April 22nd, 2020, 01:39 PM

my apologies for not getting back to this sooner.I figured out I was not marking and rotating the gears correctly. So I remarked and took new pictures. Backlash is .007" and the following pictures are the way the marking turned out. I'm thinking it's good, but like I said this is my first time setting up a ring and pinion.

Old April 22nd, 2020, 01:40 PM
Old(s) Fart

my apologies for not getting back to this sooner.I figured out I was not marking and rotating the gears correctly. So I remarked and took new pictures. Backlash is .007" and the following pictures are the way the marking turned out. I'm thinking it's good, but like I said this is my first time setting up a ring and pinion.

Much better. I think you're good to go.
Old April 22nd, 2020, 03:13 PM

There good now make sure pinion has slight drag resistance like very slight or you will smoke the bearings also carrier should not just fall in it should be preloaded not be able to pull out by hand meaning you would need a bar to remove it pattern is very good for first timer lol. PS Been doing gears and tranys for 35 years now as my full time job so again good job keep up the good work.
Old April 22nd, 2020, 03:49 PM

Great thanks!
Old April 23rd, 2020, 07:14 AM

That is much better,now it's time to admit you did the shim change.I've been doing rears for over 40 years,and a pattern doesn't make a drastic change like that without moving shims.I don't care how you apply the marking compound and rotate,it doesn't magicaly move the pattern like that
Old April 23rd, 2020, 08:18 AM

Yes, added a shim to the pinion, moved the ring gear towards the pinion ever so slightly, and turned the ring gear when checking pattern.
Old April 23rd, 2020, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by SmirchIs#1
That is much better,now it's time to admit you did the shim change.I've been doing rears for over 40 years,and a pattern doesn't make a drastic change like that without moving shims.I don't care how you apply the marking compound and rotate,it doesn't magicaly move the pattern like that
Tell the truth beat the devil my grandmother used to say LOL... awesome how much knowledge floats around in your folks Noggins LOL just awesome
Old April 23rd, 2020, 06:24 PM

That's why I asked him how much backlash was in there ,he could have tighten up the backlash and the pattern would have swept more into the toe on drive side and closer to heal on cost anyways .
Old April 24th, 2020, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by JIM'S w30
That's why I asked him how much backlash was in there ,he could have tighten up the backlash and the pattern would have swept more into the toe on drive side and closer to heal on cost anyways .
Sorry Jim,but that's not correct,adding pinion shim like I told him to do does what you described and what actualy happened.More lash moves BOTH the drive and coast pattern away from the toe or towards the heel.Less lash moves BOTH the drive and coast pattern towards the toe.
Old April 30th, 2020, 08:50 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I'm working on my other 71 442 now. Setting up the gear in my other car wasn't too bad, but this one is kicking my a#%. At present the pinion shim is .032" and the backlash is .009". Following are pictures of the marked gear. The drive side doesn't look too bad, but the coast side is way out towards to outer edge of the ring gear. I have had the carrier in and out too many times today. Can someone please tell me what I should adjust to get the pattern to come out correctly?

Drive Side

Coast Side

Last edited by friesjh; April 30th, 2020 at 08:53 PM.
Old May 1st, 2020, 08:39 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I'm working on my other 71 442 now. Setting up the gear in my other car wasn't too bad, but this one is kicking my a#%. At present the pinion shim is .032" and the backlash is .009". Following are pictures of the marked gear. The drive side doesn't look too bad, but the coast side is way out towards to outer edge of the ring gear. I have had the carrier in and out too many times today. Can someone please tell me what I should adjust to get the pattern to come out correctly?

Drive Side

Coast Side
When I helped the 1rst time,there was no thank you or appreciation directed towards me.You burnt that bridge.I see what you should try.Good luck
Old May 1st, 2020, 09:52 AM

When I helped the 1rst time,there was no thank you or appreciation directed towards me.You burnt that bridge.I see what you should try.Good luck
A little arrogant aren't we.
Old May 1st, 2020, 10:31 AM

Not sure what I did to deserve that. The first words in my latest post were "Thanks for all the advice."
Old May 1st, 2020, 10:46 AM

Not sure what I did to deserve that. The first words in my latest post were "Thanks for all the advice."
Some people think the world of them selves don't worry about it the rest of us seen the thank you that you posted he must be going through menopause lol.
Old May 2nd, 2020, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by JIM'S w30
A little arrogant aren't we.
I get paid good $ for what I do.A simple thanks is pretty damn cheap.If that makes me arrogant,then oh well
Old May 2nd, 2020, 02:41 PM

I get paid good $ for what I do.A simple thanks is pretty damn cheap.If that makes me arrogant,then oh well
If this is your attitude then your probably on the wrong site