Reproduction W27 covers

Search this Thread

Old January 1st, 2023, 11:58 PM

Reproduction W27 covers

I see a pretty big range in prices for the aftermarket W27 diff covers from OPGI, Fusick and OldsParts. Are these all the same covers or is one supplier a better quality than the others?
Old January 2nd, 2023, 07:08 AM

There have been different castings over the years - some have better detail definition than others. I don't know what's going on with the current supply though - they might all be from the same batch.

The general fit and function will be the same. The only real difference will be the details (e.g., how crisp the edges are in the W-27 marking) and how closely it resembles the OE unit. So if that's important to you, then dig around or ask in parts wanted here. If you just want the bling, then they're all equivalent. (I'm not throwing stones - I did the same! )
There's at least one really good thread buried somewhere on this board that has examples of OE and different castings showing the details.
Old January 2nd, 2023, 02:05 PM

Thanks...it's a bling thing so I'm not worried about anyone crawling under the car to critique it. I remember that thread you mention, but I'm not that concerned.

Going by photos only, it looks like the OPGI one comes with gasket and bolts while the Oldsparts is just the cover itself...not sure that justifies the price difference though.
Old January 2nd, 2023, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Check the ones on ebay, the Parts Place has them with free shipping.
Old January 2nd, 2023, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Check the ones on ebay, the Parts Place has them with free shipping.
There's no such thing as "free" shipping. The Parts Place price on the cover on ebay is $106.99 while the price on their webpage is $89. Same photo as the one from OldsParts where the price is $85. All these listings appear to just be the cover itself.

I got about $450 back from Costco on a Gazebo I ordered a couple years ago...no stock in store so I ordered online with "free shipping". A month later they had stock in store, priced $450 cheaper. Hmmmmm!

Fusick is $119 while OPGI is on sale for $154.99 (regular $170.95) and both show the gasket and 10 bolts/washers for installation.

OPGI is on back order ("Arriving Soon, Please Call" : . The others don't indicate availability on their websites but The Parts Place shows stock on ebay...whether that ships from the same stock as an online order from their webpage...who knows. After dealing with Ikea's supply system I never take that for granted anymore...but that's another story.

I'm trying to find the hood locks for an OAI hood. OPGI says the retainers and brackets have an estimated arrival 04/02/2023. These are Restoparts brand. Go to the Restoparts site and they're saying out of stock until the week of "08/24"...which makes no sense with Aug 24th being a Thursday!

Sorry, I guess this turned into a bit of a rant! I'm finding similar challenges sourcing so many other parts and don't want to wind up committed to a purchase only to find out I have to wait a year to get a part from someone when it's in stock elsewhere.

Yep, I have a lot of phone calls coming up before I can order my parts.
Old January 3rd, 2023, 06:20 AM

Try here. I bought a set delivered in 3 weeks.

https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/pro...ion-kit/102418
Old January 3rd, 2023, 09:31 AM

Here is the thread on the reproductions vs originals https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...r-real-111241/
Originally Posted by oddball
There have been different castings over the years - some have better detail definition than others. I don't know what's going on with the current supply though - they might all be from the same batch.

The general fit and function will be the same. The only real difference will be the details (e.g., how crisp the edges are in the W-27 marking) and how closely it resembles the OE unit. So if that's important to you, then dig around or ask in parts wanted here. If you just want the bling, then they're all equivalent. (I'm not throwing stones - I did the same! )
There's at least one really good thread buried somewhere on this board that has examples of OE and different castings showing the details.
Old January 4th, 2023, 05:44 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

You have the 10 bolt Coporate rear? It is surprisingly more expensive than the 12 bolt Type O reproduction covers, about the only thing in the rear end. There has to be one. The Parts Place is the cheapest I found on Ebay. Bolts and a gasket are only worth a couple of bucks. I plan on picking one up, going to where I work(Coop) or CT for stainless bolts and washers.
Old January 4th, 2023, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
You have the 10 bolt Coporate rear? It is surprisingly more expensive than the 12 bolt Type O reproduction covers, about the only thing in the rear end. There has to be one. The Parts Place is the cheapest I found on Ebay. Bolts and a gasket are only worth a couple of bucks. I plan on picking one up, going to where I work(Coop) or CT for stainless bolts and washers.
10 bolt GM 8.5"

The ebay one might be cheaper factoring in shipping, but if you go straight to the websites you'll find better parts prices. Oldsparts was the cheapest at $85 (no hardware) while OPGI was "on sale" at 154.99 with gasket and bolts.

I'll be ordering several items at least, so the shipping portion of the cost will be lower than buying off epay.
Old January 10th, 2024, 05:18 PM

Slightly off topic; Does anyone know if the W-27 cover bolts on a 70 GM 12 bolt diff?
Old January 10th, 2024, 05:48 PM
Old School Olds

Yes.

Old January 10th, 2024, 08:25 PM

pretty sure that is where they started this whole thing...Right? Jim
Old January 11th, 2024, 09:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Don M
Slightly off topic; Does anyone know if the W-27 cover bolts on a 70 GM 12 bolt diff?
If by "GM 12 bolt" you mean a Chevy axle, no. The bolt pattern is different. Supercars did sell a W27 cover with the Chevy 12 bolt pattern.
Old January 11th, 2024, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
If by "GM 12 bolt" you mean a Chevy axle, no. The bolt pattern is different. Supercars did sell a W27 cover with the Chevy 12 bolt pattern.
That's exactly what I meant. Thanks!
Old January 11th, 2024, 08:18 PM

12 bolt olds cover is Symmetrical the Chevy cover is not. You can take the cover and put it on upside down...IF the ring gear was not in the housing...lol. But the factory covers have TOP on the top of the cover...lol. I really do not see how you could , with a ring gear installed put it in upside down. Guess they wanted to cover all the bases.
JIm
Old January 12th, 2024, 05:33 PM

Sorry to hijack this thread, but this is what I was looking for:

https://www.oldsparts.com/product/w2...er-chevy-rear/