Rear axle bearings/seal replace?

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Steve

Rear axle bearings/seal replace?

Looking for advice/input on whether I should replace my rear axle bearings and seals.

72 442 W30 with 98,000 miles and I've had the car since 1978. Type 'O' 8.5 10 bolt rear, 3.42 posi gear (code 'TM').

Since I'm replacing the parking brake cables as well as clean and paint the brake backing plate I pulled the rear axles thinking I might as well replace the axle seals since, after all, they are 40 years old. No sign of leaking however, though the cars hasn't been driven for 8 years now. Of course I then realize the bearings are pressed on and need to come off to replace the seals.

Under the heading of "one thing leads to another," should I go ahead and replace the bearings along with the seals? I'll have to have a shop do it since I don't have a press.

OR...since there is no sign of any leaking just put the axles back in and forget about it if and/or when there is seal leakage?

Thanks
Old August 19th, 2012, 10:56 AM

Exclamation First do a good inspection

Originally Posted by benji94
Looking for advice/input on whether I should replace my rear axle bearings and seals.

72 442 W30 with 98,000 miles and I've had the car since 1978. Type 'O' 8.5 10 bolt rear, 3.42 posi gear (code 'TM').

Since I'm replacing the parking brake cables as well as clean and paint the brake backing plate I pulled the rear axles thinking I might as well replace the axle seals since, after all, they are 40 years old. No sign of leaking however, though the cars hasn't been driven for 8 years now. Of course I then realize the bearings are pressed on and need to come off to replace the seals.

Under the heading of "one thing leads to another," should I go ahead and replace the bearings along with the seals? I'll have to have a shop do it since I don't have a press.

OR...since there is no sign of any leaking just put the axles back in and forget about it if and/or when there is seal leakage?

Thanks
Since the axles are already out, and there is substantial mileage, probably a close inspection is in order. If there is any evidence of bearing or seal shortcomings it would be best to change both. However, if you decide to do this, be sure to have it done by competent personnel. Axles have been damaged by careless work. One particular item of concern is removal of the bearing retaining ring, which is often done with a chisel. Damage to the axle's bearing surface is possible. Also any heating around the axle should be avoided. Proceed with caution.
Old August 19th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Steve

Originally Posted by Ozzie
Since the axles are already out, and there is substantial mileage, probably a close inspection is in order. If there is any evidence of bearing or seal shortcomings it would be best to change both. However, if you decide to do this, be sure to have it done by competent personnel. Axles have been damaged by careless work. One particular item of concern is removal of the bearing retaining ring, which is often done with a chisel. Damage to the axle's bearing surface is possible. Also any heating around the axle should be avoided. Proceed with caution.
Thanks Ozzie...I've looked at them closely, no sign of leakage like I said, however the left side seems to be in worse shape. The rubber coating around the seal is pretty much warn off and the bearing seems 'looser' (from my totally unprofessional observation).

I've got the bearings and seals so will look for a shop to go ahead and install them tomorrow. Might as well I guess, seeing that everything is apart...seems like that becomes the answer to a lot issues...since I've done 'this', I might as well do 'that.'
Old August 19th, 2012, 04:55 PM

Once the axles on a 40 year old car are removed, the chances of damaging the lip of the dried out, hard rubber, 40 year old seal is greatly increased. I agree. Change the seals now, because they will probably leak after the axles go in and out to change the bearings.