Posi rear full size Olds

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2019, 10:29 AM

Posi rear full size Olds

Has there been any positraction rears for full size Oldsmobiles? If not, what others would fit? Have a 1970 98, for which there is none.
Old March 4th, 2019, 11:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Paaro
Has there been any positraction rears for full size Oldsmobiles? If not, what others would fit? Have a 1970 98, for which there is none.
Your car came from the factory with a 9.3" Type O axle. This was not used in any other vehicle, only the 1966-1970 full size Oldsmobiles. No one makes aftermarket parts for it. Nothing interchanges. Your only option is to find a used factory anti-spin center section, or change the entire rear axle.
Old March 4th, 2019, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Your car came from the factory with a 9.3" Type O axle. This was not used in any other vehicle, only the 1966-1970 full size Oldsmobiles. No one makes aftermarket parts for it. Nothing interchanges. Your only option is to find a used factory anti-spin center section, or change the entire rear axle.
Thank you for your swift answer! I was slowly coming tgo the same understanding, but it feels great to get some information. Now I'm going to look into the search for 'a used factory anti-spin center section' or an entire rear axle..
On page 4B-20 in Chassis service manual they say 'Anti-spin conersion information', which reads: The case assembly (less ring gear and side bearings) is available for converting a conventional differential to Anti-Spin. The ring gear and side bearings, if in good condition, can be used with the Anti-Spin case assembly.
One way or another I would like my old (named 'Goldie') to get Anti-Spin.
Best regards,
Paaro
Old March 4th, 2019, 12:26 PM

Both of my 1967 98's have 3:08 anti-spin rearends. Both rearends car out of field cars from Pennsylvania. Because of the hills and winter weather a lot of buyers ordered the anti-spin back in the day. It was the "hot" setup with snow tires and or tire chains.
Old March 4th, 2019, 12:27 PM
Old(s) Fart

Here is a service bulletin that covers procedures for the Type O axle. Note that this covers both the 8.5" version used in the A-body cars and the 9.3" version used in the full size cars.
Old March 4th, 2019, 12:28 PM

Thanks! I'll keep an eye on Pensylvania. Might find something there.
Paaro
Old March 4th, 2019, 12:32 PM

Thanks! Looks ery interesting, as I'm in the 'search' mode.
Paaro
Old March 5th, 2019, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Paaro
Thanks! Looks ery interesting, as I'm in the 'search' mode.
Paaro
I have a dozen or so fullsize car Eaton posi units from 60's and early seventies.Unfortunatly I never labeled them,because I have always concentrated on muscle cars.If someone can supply posi case #'s I probably have what you need.
Old March 5th, 2019, 06:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by SmirchIs#1
I have a dozen or so fullsize car Eaton posi units from 60's and early seventies.Unfortunatly I never labeled them,because I have always concentrated on muscle cars.If someone can supply posi case #'s I probably have what you need.
That's good to know. I don't suppose you have any 3.23 or even 3.42 gear sets for the Type O 9.3, do you? (Hey, I have to try)

Be aware that the Olds full size cars from that period used both the Type O 9.3" and the Pontiac 8.875" axles, and the carriers obviously do not interchange. The Pontiac axles actually have decent aftermarket support.
Old March 5th, 2019, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by SmirchIs#1
SmirchIs#1; Thank you! I'll keep it in mind!
Old March 5th, 2019, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
That's good to know. I don't suppose you have any 3.23 or even 3.42 gear sets for the Type O 9.3, do you? (Hey, I have to try)

Be aware that the Olds full size cars from that period used both the Type O 9.3" and the Pontiac 8.875" axles, and the carriers obviously do not interchange. The Pontiac axles actually have decent aftermarket support.
I did look at the gear sets and as you expected,nothing but prairie gears.Wish I could ID the posi units.