Drive shaft yoke

Old March 5th, 2019, 06:14 PM

Drive shaft yoke

My rear transmission seal is leaking after replacing it. Does this distance look ok? I'm just wondering if it is too long and may be moving too much.
Thanks

Old March 6th, 2019, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by rick442 View Post
My rear transmission seal is leaking after replacing it. Does this distance look ok? I'm just wondering if it is too long and may be moving too much.
Thanks
What I have seen from taking apart and working on hundreds of muscle cars for 40+ years,the norm seems to be 3" of yoke engagement with the output shaft.If your yoke has 3.5" of useable surface,as many of the muscle cars had,then you're only in 1.5" which is not good.This will cause excessive ocilation at the "U" joint.This situation can cause a vibration and even cause the tail housing to brake on a hard launch.It will at least cause premature bushing wear.If this is coupled with a already worn bushing in the tail housing,then the seal could leak and the previous cond. described is greatly amplified.Also I notice there seams to be a lot of dirt or something present if the seal was just replaced.The seal and area must be clean,grease the seal groove and make sure the lip spring is in place.Careful when instaling