Oldsmobile 12 Bolt Type "0"

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2013, 06:25 PM

Oldsmobile 12 Bolt Type "0"

Hello,
Wondering if anyone is looking for or interested in a 1970 12 bolt type"O" axle? I recently aquired one by mistake (was led to believe it was a gm 12 bolt only to get it home and apart to realize it has a 12 bolt cover with a 10 bolt 8.5" ring gear) It is for A body cars so assuming it should fit anything from 68-72 right? I went through it any way and it is actually in really good shape, has 28 spline bolt in axles, open spool with 2.78 gears. I can email pics if anyone interested...I am a chevelle guy so would rather see this go to someone who will put it where it belongs under a cutlass 442 or something of the like, rather than me stick it under a corporate car. From the reserach i've done these came in most '69-'70 cutlass's.
I paid $500 for it but will let it go for $350 to a good home...anyone?

Thanks,
Zack
Old February 27th, 2013, 05:16 AM

If the original seller led you the wrong way,thinking it was a 12-bolt Chevy,I would try taking it back.I've seen this way too many times.
Old February 27th, 2013, 03:01 PM

Ya i figured i wasn't the first guy this happend to...alot of people i've talked to didn't even know there was such a thing as a type O 12 bolt it even took me some time to figure out exactly what i had. I tried returning it but the "nice at the time" individual i bought it from's demeanor abruptly changed and he wouldn't allow it...originally when i looked at it he had told me it came out of a '70 chevelle (leading me to believe it was the true 12 bolt) he even had the car there that it came out of, but what he conveniently failed to mention was that it wasn't in that car originally. Basically he tricked me, he didn't lie but he with held just enough info to get the cash...when i called him back after i got it home and realized what it was he told me "it was my problem now" and "i can take him to court if i want". Im not a sue happy a-hole though and not about to waste a bunch more $ in court and lawer fee's over $500 rear end. It's a shame people gotta be that way but tis the world we live in i guess
Old February 27th, 2013, 04:04 PM

Would you have any advice as to where i can get parts for it??? I found a couple places over the web that have small assortments but most everything in the form of gears and posi spools are "out of stock" or custom order at 2-3 times the price of regular GM stuff...

strength wise i hear they're comparable to the 8.5 gm 10 bolt which would suit my application however i'd prefer something on the lines of 3.42 gears with a posi instead of whats in it now...also looks like i may need to change axles too if i go that route because with different series carriers the axle spline count chages aswell on these type "0's" right? any ideas?

thanks for you time
Zack
Old February 27th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Justin

I would talk to Monzaz This is his user name for this site I am sure he can help not sure what gear options are but it's worth a shot
Old February 27th, 2013, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by zbarrow
Ya i figured i wasn't the first guy this happend to...alot of people i've talked to didn't even know there was such a thing as a type O 12 bolt it even took me some time to figure out exactly what i had. I tried returning it but the "nice at the time" individual i bought it from's demeanor abruptly changed and he wouldn't allow it...originally when i looked at it he had told me it came out of a '70 chevelle (leading me to believe it was the true 12 bolt) he even had the car there that it came out of, but what he conveniently failed to mention was that it wasn't in that car originally. Basically he tricked me, he didn't lie but he with held just enough info to get the cash...when i called him back after i got it home and realized what it was he told me "it was my problem now" and "i can take him to court if i want". Im not a sue happy a-hole though and not about to waste a bunch more $ in court and lawer fee's over $500 rear end. It's a shame people gotta be that way but tis the world we live in i guess
WOW, what a turd!! Karma...he'll get his.
Old February 27th, 2013, 05:47 PM

Yep Karma! I will see if i can get ahold of Monzaz
thanks
Old February 27th, 2013, 05:57 PM

12 bolt Olds

Originally Posted by zbarrow
Would you have any advice as to where i can get parts for it??? I found a couple places over the web that have small assortments but most everything in the form of gears and posi spools are "out of stock" or custom order at 2-3 times the price of regular GM stuff...

strength wise i hear they're comparable to the 8.5 gm 10 bolt which would suit my application however i'd prefer something on the lines of 3.42 gears with a posi instead of whats in it now...also looks like i may need to change axles too if i go that route because with different series carriers the axle spline count chages aswell on these type "0's" right? any ideas?

thanks for you time
Zack
Axle spline is fine as is 28 you can upgrade to 31 BUT you DO NOT have to. 672 carrier is the 4 series and holds FACTORY 3.42-5.00 gear sets
588 4 series carrier is 28 spline and hold FACTORY 3.42-5.00

The aftermarket gears from what was RICHMOND gears all mount on the 3 series carrier which is ONLY 28 spline in the factory carrier 671 casting

We carry both 28 and 31 spline carriers for the 3 series carrier and aftermarket gears.

Jim
JD
Old February 28th, 2013, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by monzaz
Axle spline is fine as is 28 you can upgrade to 31 BUT you DO NOT have to. 672 carrier is the 4 series and holds FACTORY 3.42-5.00 gear sets
588 4 series carrier is 28 spline and hold FACTORY 3.42-5.00

The aftermarket gears from what was RICHMOND gears all mount on the 3 series carrier which is ONLY 28 spline in the factory carrier 671 casting

We carry both 28 and 31 spline carriers for the 3 series carrier and aftermarket gears.

Jim
JD

Wow that helps thank you! Do you have a website or any way i can contact you and/or view you product line?

Zack

Nevermind i found it, will be in touch...thanks again

Last edited by zbarrow; February 28th, 2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 09:04 AM

J D RAce

www.jdrace.com

Only problem is this was suppose to be completed 2-3 year ago. Family matter. Nephew hit college ...Then Girl friend happened. NOW maybe marriage. lol.

I have more business i can deal with right now and i am afraid if i do open the store THERE will be more than I can deal with at one time. Good yes BUT I do not want to get sloppy with building etc.

So you can always contact me there register on the form for all differential set -up help etc. If you have the time I have the time. Jim

J D