Me again, dripping tranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2010, 06:49 PM

Me again, dripping tranny fluid

Okay so 3 weeks ago I drove the car, let it sit in my driveway for 4 hours before pulling it into my garage, not a drip, never has leaked any fluids.

Tonight I just happen to drop a bolt and look under the car to see a puddle of tranny fluid under the car. Looked a little harder and se a pretty steady drip coming from the u-joint, nothing else is wet. The tranny isn't even pointed downwards to have fluid to that low point.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Again, I ran my hand over everything forward of the leak and couldn't find a thing. I have a pan under it now so obvioulsy I know its the tranny if it starts filling up.

Old June 5th, 2010, 07:53 PM
GM Enthusiast

Looks like your in for a rear seal. Probably dried up from sitting. Not a big deal, just drain the trans, drop the driveshaft, and replace the seal.
Old June 6th, 2010, 04:56 AM

x2
Old June 6th, 2010, 06:03 AM

Also - some cars had a yoke with a hole in the center and there is an o-ring on the tranny output shaft for sealing. If the o-ring is bad, it will leak past and come out that center hole.
Old June 6th, 2010, 06:32 AM

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but will these seals go without using or moving the car?
Old June 6th, 2010, 07:08 AM

They can dry out or wear out. If the car(tranny) has been sitting for a while the rubber can dry out. If the car(tranny) is often used metal rubbing rubber will eventually wear the seal out. Its not to hard to replace. Unbolt the drive shaft from the rear end and slide it and the yoke out the back of the transmission. Pull the seal out, pop in a new one, slide the yoke back into the transmission and bolt the other end back up to the rear end. Done!
Old June 6th, 2010, 09:25 AM

It has to be that o-ring that "oldsconv" mentioned because everything before that drip is completely dry.

Thanks again!
Old June 7th, 2010, 05:46 AM

Good time to change the tranny fluid and filter if it is due...
Old June 7th, 2010, 12:47 PM
GM Enthusiast

Looks to me like the entire yoke is wet and your problem is the rear seal. No matter what, you'll need to pull out the yoke to see what you . Even if there is an O ring in there, I would change the rear seal anyway.
Old June 7th, 2010, 01:01 PM

Hey Darrel, yeah it does look wet but not wet enough to have been dripping as fast as it was, I am assuming it's still leaking but haven't checked since yesterday. Look at the edge of the seal it's not wet at all. Just seemed odd to me the way it was dripping, the tranny is not at an angle either.

Anyway, I agree with you it needs to be pulled either way to find out what's going on there. Thanks for your input I do appreciate it.

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Looks to me like the entire yoke is wet and your problem is the rear seal. No matter what, you'll need to pull out the yoke to see what you . Even if there is an O ring in there, I would change the rear seal anyway.