loosing oil on the drivetrain, which parts to get

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Cutlass driver in Germany

loosing oil on the drivetrain, which parts to get

Hello,

so I loose quite a bit of oil on the drivetrain, and I talk to a mechanic and he said I need to change the yoke and the seal. So I wonder which parts I need and what the best source will be. As I am living in Germany, I like to ask here, since I am going to order the parts from the U.S. anyways.

Will it be done by changing only the seal and the yoke or would you guys recommend to put in more new gear.

Just let me know,
regards,

Tom
Old July 29th, 2014, 09:11 PM

Tom, The seal and the bushing in the tailshaft on automatic transmissions is often the problem. When the bushing inside the tailshaft that the yoke slides into gets worn the driveshaft moves more than seal can compensate. The tailshaft unbolts and then the bushing is driven out/in.

The yokes are usually ok. Did the mechanic pull the driveshaft to inspect the yoke? If the yoke is bad, replace both universal joints while the shaft is out. Hope this helps.
Old July 29th, 2014, 11:59 PM
Cutlass driver in Germany

No the mechanic didn't inspect the drivetrain, he just told me what has to be done. He pointed out that changing the pinion seal wouldn't be enough, he said after a while it could be detected that the yoke has to be changed, too. Now I thought I get a new yoke and a new pinion seal, and I be safe. So I wonder how to find out about the correct yoke and seal, and if this would be enough to get the problem solved.

Thanks,

Tom
Old July 30th, 2014, 03:13 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Since the seal seals against the yoke, if the yoke is worn or damaged, the seal won't seal well.

I would pull out the yoke and look at it - if it's scored, rough, or otherwise not smooth, then get a new one, otherwise, just get the seal.

Similarly, check the play - if it feels like too much (I think radial play should be in the 0.005"-0.010" range, but I may be wrong), then replace the bushing.

- Eric
Old July 30th, 2014, 05:47 AM

I believe for a pinion seal you maybe able to get a seal and sleeve for the yoke. Not sure about Olds but I have done it on other makes.
Are you talking leak at rear or transmission?