The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1963 Olds Super 88 (394) Loosing power

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2013, 04:01 PM

Smile 1963 Olds Super 88 (394) Loosing power

So here is the problem...I am cruising at nice speed say 45-55mph and when I floored the gass pedal the tranny downshifts to 2nd gear but the engine starts spotting, like loosing power or asking for gas. I parked the car and check the fuel pressure at idle, when cold is good 6-7psi when fuuly hot it drops to 3psi maybe 3.5psi, it is a new pump from Kanter, thi one has no return line but my old one did, so i left the return hose open with a mess like filter at the tip to prevent dirt. I also thought the probem could be sparks (distributor) but when I rebuild the engine I replaced the points and condensor for the electronic ignitions so I don't think is a spark problem. Last note, the gas tank has a "breathing hose" that runs from the top of the tank along the side of the filler neck, originally it had a "filter like" but it was old and I threw it away, could this missing filter be the cause of loosing fuel pressure? By the way my gas tank cap says " not vented" Any help is greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need more info!

Angelo
Old July 26th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Phantom Phixer

Was your car equipped with A/C? If it has a return line then it probably was.
In any case, the fuel pump must be replaced with one that includes a return line.
Also, the "filter like" thing near the fuel filler will have to be replaced with a small fuel filter.
Finally, I would recommend that all the rubber hoses in the fuel system be replaced. An old collapsing fuel hose can restrict the flow.

A little tip; Never throw ANYTHING away!

Last edited by Charlie Jones; July 26th, 2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old July 26th, 2013, 07:08 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Is at least one of those lines from your gas tank open to the air?
If not, you could be developing a bit of a vacuum in there.

Also, as Charlie says, old hoses with pinholes can be a killer, too.

Did you replace your spark plug wires, cap and rotor?

- Eric
Old July 26th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Administrator

You need to cap the return line. When you put the electronic ignition is it hook up to a full 12v? Make sure your mechanical advance is working properly. Also make sure your accelerator pump is giving a good shot of gas when you operate the throttle.

Your gas cap is the correct one and you need some sort of filter on the vent line to prevent garbage getting into your tank.
Old July 29th, 2013, 08:48 AM

1963 Olds Super 88 (394) Loosing power

Thanks Guys for all the tips...

Charlie, the car is equipped with AC and when I bought the "new" fuel pump from Kanter they send me the one without the return line so I left the return hose open and away from moving parts, I will call KANTER and see if they have the correct one w/return line. I will buy and installed the "filter like" thing in the vent line by the gas tank, I promise I wont throw anything away ever again.

Eric, I did replace all the hoses with new ones and I doubled check to make sure the lines were not pinched or obstructed.

Old Cutlass, the electronic ignition along with the mechanical advance are working great, even though the carburator is working great the accelerator pump rubber, in the outside of the carb is cracked and ripped, I think I may need to replace it.

Guys, I really appreciate all your help if you have any other comments please share.

Thanks,

Angelo
Old August 5th, 2013, 02:50 PM

I just had a situation where there was an older filter in-line between the fuel pump and the carburetor on a 63 Cutlass. Would run fine around town or at long idle but when it was out at steady highway speeds would run for a while and then stop completely. Changed the filter and cut the old filter. Found a lot of small particulate that blocked the filter element and eventually stopped the car. Good Luck.