Dive shaft question

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2022, 05:52 AM

Dive shaft question

I am installing new u-joints in the original driveshaft from my 1969 4-speed 442. The drive shaft was removed from the car and disassembled a long time ago and I don't have any photos of the drive shaft assembled with the yoke as a reference. I have 2 questions: The drive shaft steps down to a smaller diameter at one end. Does this end connect to the yoke/transmission or to the differential? The new u-joints have zerk grease fittings. Which direction should they face on each end?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
Old November 15th, 2022, 01:23 PM

The longer step down will normally go to the back by the rear end. The shorter step up closer to the transmission.
Good luck, Jim
You also might want to take some measurements first to be sure that actually was from that car... and fits your application. If you installed a different trans or motor..DOUBLE check before doing all the work.
Old November 15th, 2022, 01:25 PM

OH if that thing is a 2 piece driveshaft...I doubt I would even bother putting it together. look into the part that looks like it is cut then the other shaft is smaller and fits into the larger...poke in there and see if it is rubber. IF SO... I would pass on that driveshaft. Make a solid one piece and be done. MY opinion...you can still do what you want.

Jim
JD Race
Old November 15th, 2022, 02:24 PM

Thanks Jim!
Its the long step down. i took it out the car many years ago so I know its the right one, just didn't take good pics when i took it out. Any advice on the u-joints?

Thanks again - Ken

Old November 15th, 2022, 03:57 PM

From my investigation, Spicer U-joints are among the better quality available. The solid style are said to be stronger than the grease fitting types. Weber State University has this excellent 7-part series on youtube covering U-joints:
These are really worth watching covering U-joint quality, select fit of the retainer clips, proper installation,... Actually Weber University has numerous very high quality automotive education videos, There multi-part one on differential rebuild is excellent.
Old November 16th, 2022, 07:56 AM
Old(s)GuysRule

Place the zerk fittings under compression when in a forward gear.
Old November 17th, 2022, 07:23 AM

yep the long goes to the back of the car....short step at the front of the car.
Old November 19th, 2022, 08:15 AM

One last question

First, thanks for all your help. The u-joints are in and the drive shaft is ready for installation. Should I use the original u-bolts to connect the drive shaft to he rear axle or purchase new hardware? I attached a photo of the u-bolts so you can see the condition and of the u-joints.

Thanks again!

Ken

Old November 20th, 2022, 03:04 PM

looks good. Originals in good condition are probably better than new these days. Hate to say it.
We have had some that were too short and could not even get a lock washer between the nuts and the casting... YES it is that bad out there.
Inspect them and install if they look good...which from those pics they look good.